Painting Speaker Cabs

RMarshall

• Roger
Re: Painting Speaker Cabs
« Reply #40 on: 31 Aug 2022, 01:31 am »

I'm sure you all have heard the saying "better to be lucky than good." That pretty much nails how my speaker cab painting went.

I had used Knisser Cover Stain as a sealer. I was very happy with how that came out. 3 coats with a bunch of sanding. It's white so I figured my top coat in a midnight blue, would take 2-3 coats to cover. I used a Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane as my paint. Applied it with a micro fiber roller.

After one coat, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My wife took one look and forbid me to do another coat. This was completely unintended.

Sorry for the double pic.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #41 on: 31 Aug 2022, 02:09 am »
Are you not going paint inside?

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #42 on: 31 Aug 2022, 02:18 am »
Not sure if you're joking or not, but no. I've started the No Rez process.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2022, 02:29 am »
Not sure if you're joking or not, but no. I've started the No Rez process.
The inside paint affects the sound, the exterior finish are unimportant to the sound.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100689.0

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #44 on: 31 Aug 2022, 03:04 am »
Interesting, but I'm lining the interior with No Rez. That will have to do.

sandbagger

« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2022, 03:34 am »
Love it, no really really love it

not a fan of just black boxes, or in the GR Circle I should say black baffles :P

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 31 Aug 2022, 03:41 am »
Interesting, but I'm lining the interior with No Rez. That will have to do.

Painting is absolutely not needed on the inside of the speakers.  The NoRez is more than enough.

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #47 on: 31 Aug 2022, 03:51 am »

The paint in the tray on the left is the color I was originally going for. I was visualizing a deep blue cabinet.

One more just because.

Appreciate the comments.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 31 Aug 2022, 03:52 am »
Painting is absolutely not needed on the inside of the speakers.  The NoRez is more than enough.
The internal treatment will shape the sound greatly, one have to do the internal treatment according his personal taste listening the various options, aside painting inside will prevent humidity/mould along the winters.

EDITED

mkane

« Reply #49 on: 3 Sep 2022, 01:01 am »
Nice Job.

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 7 Sep 2022, 09:09 pm »
Wow, nice paint job.

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #51 on: 8 Sep 2022, 11:21 pm »
Thanks Danny. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with them.

HappyGene

« Reply #52 on: 20 Nov 2022, 12:03 am »
No problem - I got to look at it twice :)

Sorry for the double pic.

Craig Young

« Reply #53 on: 2 Dec 2022, 03:22 pm »
I am planning on getting speakers and subs in the near future from gr research and I plan on painting the MDF. I am thinking of using either valspar bonding primer or rust oleum filler primer. Final color is to be determined. I like the idea of using spray paint.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #54 on: 2 Dec 2022, 03:41 pm »
I am planning on getting speakers and subs in the near future from gr research and I plan on painting the MDF. I am thinking of using either valspar bonding primer or rust oleum filler primer. Final color is to be determined. I like the idea of using spray paint.

I would highly advise against rust-o-leum unless you choose to use their material all the way through. Super chemically reactive. When you get ready to paint your speakers, just send me a message and I'll walk you through the whole process using correct materials.

Spitfirejack

« Reply #55 on: 2 Dec 2022, 07:25 pm »
I used the cabinet paint before and it's really nice stuff. I used a wood filler on the wood first though because I like a smoother finish. Love that color.

Craig Young

« Reply #56 on: 2 Dec 2022, 11:09 pm »
I would highly advise against rust-o-leum unless you choose to use their material all the way through. Super chemically reactive. When you get ready to paint your speakers, just send me a message and I'll walk you through the whole process using correct materials.
Thanks I could use your help in pointing me in the right direction. I love your blue NX-Studio speakers, I am thinking of getting that model as well.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #57 on: 3 Dec 2022, 03:03 am »
I used the cabinet paint before and it's really nice stuff. I used a wood filler on the wood first though because I like a smoother finish. Love that color.

Welcome to the forum, Spitfire. For clarity, are you referring to the Sherwin-Williams urethane mentioned by RMarshall? When you say "wood filler" is it possible you mean grain filler or perhaps polyester filler? RMarshall's cabinets look pretty smooth from here.

RMarshall

• Roger
« Reply #58 on: 4 Dec 2022, 03:15 pm »
If you get the flat packs, or have them pre-built as I did, from GRR, the quality of the MDF is very good. No need for wood filler. A good sealer and a ton of sanding will get you there.

Badd99

« Reply #59 on: 6 Dec 2022, 09:07 pm »
You and I are thinking a lot alike.

My cabs arrive this Wednesday. Should have the paint by the 20th. With my work schedule, it will probably take a couple weeks to get the cabs properly sealed and sanded.

Bought a brush recommended to me, and trying that route.

Ready to get started.

Roger

I highly recommend a gun. Even the $25 spray guns at harbor freight do a really good job. Take your paint and add water to it until it's a thinner consistency. Then spray with the gun and you will have a MUCH better outcome. Trust me!