« Reply #40 on: 25 May 2015, 04:07 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:31 am by vinagunner »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers
« Reply #41 on: 25 May 2015, 04:32 pm »
Here's another one.  An amazing minimalist entry level system for the iPod, iPhone, iPad owner.  To those (mostly young people) who only listen through earbuds, try this and hear what you've been missing.  Take the torch from us aging baby boomers.

Firestone Big Joe V1.3 gainclone, Pure i20 digital dock, Omega Super 3T.  Sadly, the Big Joe V1.3 is no longer available, but there are other great little amps out there like the Temple and the Trends that are very affordable.  The Super 3i takes the place of the Super 3T.

ozoid

« Reply #42 on: 25 May 2015, 06:04 pm »
This installation is essentially identical to what I'll be dealing with when my Alnicos arrive: speakers sitting on a chest of drawers.

Have you experimented with any kinds of platforms or stands to counteract resonance in the chest? 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #43 on: 25 May 2015, 07:59 pm »
This installation is essentially identical to what I'll be dealing with when my Alnicos arrive: speakers sitting on a chest of drawers.

Have you experimented with any kinds of platforms or stands to counteract resonance in the chest?

Isoacoustics is the best stand I've ever used by far. If you need something lower profile, like a simple pad of material, I'd go with one of Herbie's Audio Lab products.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2015, 08:43 pm »

Mouse pads.  Cheap and readily available.  I generally put two under a speaker with the rubber sides facing each other so I can scoot the speaker around easily to get the optimum positioning.  Likely not going to perform like the IsoAcoustics stands, but better than having the speaker sitting right on the surface with nothing in between.

Flinx99

« Reply #45 on: 25 May 2015, 11:39 pm »

I'm experimenting with these for the same reason Canada Rob gave for the mousepads---mobility with a bit of acoustic value.  These have thin layers of cork sandwiching EVA foam.  There are adhesive strips on one side that I haven't taken off, but they should peel right off if you don't want them.  I have a Container Store up the street from me and they were an impulse buy.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10025077&N=&Ntt=%22cork+board%22+puzzler

Jim

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 26 May 2015, 12:26 am »
It's true mousepads or any random material may work well but Herbie's products are screened to make sure they are sonically neutral so they don't add their own flavor to the sound, they are guaranteed to work well. Isoacoustics stands, if you have the vertical space to use them, make a fairy radical improvement in sound vs anything else I have ever tried. As far as random materials you may have lying around the house I remember Steve (Herbie's owner) say rope caulk works well.

Flinx99

« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2015, 01:15 am »
It's true mousepads or any random material may work well but Herbie's products are screened to make sure they are sonically neutral so they don't add their own flavor to the sound, they are guaranteed to work well. Isoacoustics stands, if you have the vertical space to use them, make a fairy radical improvement in sound vs anything else I have ever tried. As far as random materials you may have lying around the house I remember Steve (Herbie's owner) say rope caulk works well.

I will look at Isoacoustics once I receive my speakers and land on the best positioning.  Thanks.

ozoid

« Reply #48 on: 27 May 2015, 03:48 am »
Another question about IsoAcoustics stands:

How stable is the support for Alnicos, for instance, if the speaker is tilted downward, about 4 degrees? Wouldn't want those cabinets sliding off and onto the floor!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 27 May 2015, 04:45 am »
Were getting a tad off subject here.  It's pictures the OP wants, and so do I.  Bring em on guys.  DaveC113, we'd love to see yours.

Louis O

« Reply #50 on: 28 May 2015, 07:02 pm »
Hi Everyone,

This is a super thread and many thanks for all the wonderful pictures and really cool set ups.

I wish I could add to it, but I'm in between houses right now and hope to be in my new place mid June. Other than moving I have to set up another listening room. Hopefully it will be an easy set up.

Thanks again,
Louis

guillaume bougard

« Reply #51 on: 28 May 2015, 09:05 pm »
good luck on your move Master Louis. If we unworthy humans may be of any help, just whistle

May the Omega Force be with you

PS = I LOVE my Omega speakers, thank you, thank you thank you

Louis O

« Reply #52 on: 29 May 2015, 11:53 pm »
Hi guillaume bougard,

Many thanks and I appreciate it. Looks like it will go smooth or I will call in the Force and and get it done.

Very happy about your speakers and thanks for the very kind words.

Louis

jorgen

« Reply #53 on: 30 May 2015, 11:54 am »
Picture is from listening position, about 3 m from speakers. I can easily pull them forward, or back whenever I want to alternate. Find that the sound just changes a little, (position rolling I guess..)

Flinx99

« Reply #54 on: 31 May 2015, 12:29 am »

I received my Super 3is in Mocha Tweed from Louis, yesterday.  Shot is a little blurry because I shot without a flash to try to capture the light as I see it. 

Surface Pro 3 is my source.

Musical Fidelity:
M1 SDAC (preamp and DAC)
2 Class D M1 PWR amps running as monoblocks

Rel T9 sub

Stands are Auralex Mopeds I've had for a few years
Cat sinks on the amps (old CPU heat sinks that prevent my cat from napping on the amps---I figure any true heat sink properties are a bonus)

It has been very interesting to hear the speakers improve throughout the day.  The recent comments about break in have been very useful.  So far, the speakers are blooming and I look forward to hearing the continuing improvement.  They are already very detailed.

Thanks Lou.

Jim
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2015, 09:00 pm by Flinx99 »

RDavidson

« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2015, 01:35 am »
Good work Flinx. I know your setup was far from optimal particularly with regard to speaker position and monitors between. It looks MUCH better than before (with your old speakers etc) and I'm sure it sounds MUCH better too.

Flinx99

« Reply #56 on: 31 May 2015, 04:11 am »
Good work Flinx. I know your setup was far from optimal particularly with regard to speaker position and monitors between. It looks MUCH better than before (with your old speakers etc) and I'm sure it sounds MUCH better too.

Thanks.  I am definitely enjoying them and can't wait to hear them after they have settled in.

vinagunner

« Reply #57 on: 1 Jun 2015, 04:52 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:31 am by vinagunner »

jorgen

« Reply #58 on: 1 Jun 2015, 09:25 pm »
Hey Vin
You are very welcome. Waiting for the TT to arrive, things will be good I hope. System is basic, streaming Tidal through a dacmagic plus, using Isoda cables of ok quality to upgraded minitori, some pretty good nos tubes, then daves cables to speakers, custom build cab of zebrawood, with 7" alnico. I play around with positioning.
I use Audeze cans when I want more headroom.

Wishlist main system; a good riaa, preferably Decware, and some better IC
Upstairs system will be Omega monitors (ordered), and zen select amp, then cables and Dac and....

I feel the system is pretty good to be honest... I don't feel the urge to upgrade, but I have started to go down the path of simple circuits, and would like the signalpath to be as short as possible containing so few bits and parts as possible.. The amp and speakers have very good synergy, hopefully the TT and riaa will slip right in there. But most of all I need lots and lots of LPs

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 2 Jun 2015, 03:19 am »

Wow, what an improvement.  Very cool looking system Flinx.  Super 3i and English Class D.  I too am running Super 3i and English Class D and loving it.