Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #300 on: 19 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm »
Thanks again CORNDOG!  I will put your vote down as a solid x-statik supporter.  And what you said about more fleshed out since the drivers are all facing forward seems reasonable. Makes sense. Good description.  Let me know how the speaker swapping goes and your impressions.

So I listened to the Omnis and and got a refreshed opinion about them.  They throw up a surprisingly big soundstage!  I think I could live with the Omnis if I had to.  About the only complaint I have about them is that as good as they sound they seem to lack a certain oomph with the sound.  They're very laid back and a bit reserved which I like but there seems to be a lack of energy to the sound.  I even tried driving them with my big amp (250 watts!) and their character stayed the same.  Also, you definitely want a good sub with the Omnis as their bass is kinda weak.  I will say that the omnis excel as surround speakers so long as you don't mind them being towers taking up floor space.

Perhaps if you don't want to go all out for the Statiks but still want a good 2-way tower then consider the X-SLS kit.  I also have them in my living room (yes, I'm a total addict of Danny's speakers! :green:) and I think they actually outperform the Omnis and provide substantially better bass by themselves.

TheLaw612

« Reply #301 on: 21 Nov 2012, 08:21 pm »
Hey Danny I scanned through the thread and don't think I saw it - can you link the plans to the omnis? Also, how much no-rez do you think would be needed for two X-SLS boxes and an X-CS box?

And finally, I think the link to the X-CS Encore plans is broken. Thanks.

- Brad

Danny Richie

« Reply #302 on: 21 Nov 2012, 08:33 pm »
Hey Danny I scanned through the thread and don't think I saw it - can you link the plans to the omnis? Also, how much no-rez do you think would be needed for two X-SLS boxes and an X-CS box?

And finally, I think the link to the X-CS Encore plans is broken. Thanks.

- Brad

X-Omni box plans: http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-omni%20box.pdf

I think you will have to get two sheets of No Rez to cover all three of those boxes.

And I just fixed the X-CS Encore box plans link. http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-CS%20Encore.pdf

Thanks!

coachwoody

« Reply #303 on: 22 Nov 2012, 02:20 am »
Danny,

Are the x-ls encore kits still available? What will it cost me delivered to CA 94515?

Happy Thanksgiving, :)

Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #304 on: 22 Nov 2012, 03:15 pm »
Danny,

Are the x-ls encore kits still available? What will it cost me delivered to CA 94515?

Michael

Hundreds of them are still available.

Calistoga, CA must be a rural location as shipping cost is a few dollars higher than typical.

$22.50 to a residence with insurance via UPS. $18.50 to a business location.

rajadeep

« Reply #305 on: 12 Dec 2012, 09:50 am »
Hello Danny,
I am a member of Hifivision forum & have been following the thread related to the groupbuy by the forum members on that forum until now... After hearing many positive things about these kits from member's whose opinion I trust(Magma,Captrajesh etc), I think these will be perfect for my 5.1 setup... I have a few questions regarding these so I can figure out how to get them shipped to India...
1) What would be the combined weight of a x-statik + x-voce + x-ls encore kits for a 5.0 setup... Also what would be the approx shipping cost for these kits to New york... I have a cousin there who will arrange for them to be shipped to India...
2) Will these work well with my AVR? The model I own is a Harmon Kardon AVR3600...
3) For surrounds I am thinking of using the x-ls encore... Would that be a good choice or are the omni better...

Regards
Rajadeep...

Danny Richie

« Reply #306 on: 12 Dec 2012, 07:41 pm »
1) I can pack them in two boxes. The X-Statiks will weigh 38 pounds and the X-Voce with X-LS Encore kit can be boxed together weighing 32 pounds. I will need a zip code for your friend in New York to quote the shipping.

2) No problems with the receiver.

3) The ideal rear surrounds depends on the room. It is best that the listener be as far away from the rear speakers as the front speakers, but this is rarely the case. The X-Omni's are awesome but really need to be at least 3 feet from any wall. If the seating position is near the rear wall and you are able to wall mount the speakers then nothing beats the A/V-1RS: http://gr-research.com/av-1rs.aspx   The A/V-1RS will create a large non-localized sound field like no other wall mounted speaker. If wall mounting is not an option and 3 feet from any wall placement is not going to work in your room then the X-LS's can be used for that application.

Danny Richie

« Reply #307 on: 12 Dec 2012, 07:42 pm »
And Rajadeep,

Welcome to AC.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #308 on: 12 Dec 2012, 08:35 pm »
Danny,

Michael

Hey welcome Coach!  I'm just down the Mark West Road from you in Santa Rosa.  You can't beat these kits.  Unless of course you add sonocaps.  Let me know if you are ever interested in listening to my rig or some of the other Audio Circle guys in the neighborhood.   Seasons Greetings.

jbracing17

« Reply #309 on: 14 Dec 2012, 09:02 pm »
Danny,

I tried to read through the entire post for these answers but may have missed them:

How much no rez is required for a pair of X-Statiks and a single X-Voce?

Any Christmas specials planned for these particular kits?

I would guess that this front three would have no problem integrating with your subs since they are lower end is from the sealed enclosures (I am running a  pair of SW12a's with the PR12s)?

Thanks for your time.

Danny Richie

« Reply #310 on: 14 Dec 2012, 09:25 pm »
To completely cover the three of them you will need 4 sheets.

I'll still honor this sale price: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106681.0

And yes our servo subs will work great with these.

Oscillate

« Reply #311 on: 19 Dec 2012, 02:10 pm »
Danny, are all the enclosure plans based upon using a 3/4" thick material? ...Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #312 on: 19 Dec 2012, 02:21 pm »
Danny, are all the enclosure plans based upon using a 3/4" thick material? ...Thanks

Yes.

twobone

« Reply #313 on: 20 Dec 2012, 06:14 pm »
Hi,

New to the forum, and very interested in buying a DIY kit.

I'm a newbie and so can you help me with the selection?

The speakers will go in my basement.  They will run off this Elekit tube stereo amp
http://www.vkmusic.ca/TU-870R.htm

I'm not a high volume guy...just purity of sound.

Value is a major factor.

Also, I can do basic soldering, but wood work is not my strong suit nor do I have great tools for the job.

Can you suggest a speaker box kit that would fit the components, perhaps from these guys:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/hi-fi-speaker-cabinets/288

twobone

« Reply #314 on: 20 Dec 2012, 06:15 pm »
Sorry, if I was not clear, I'm looking for a recommendation for what speaker set to get.

Also I live in Toronto Canada

Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #315 on: 21 Dec 2012, 02:36 am »
I think a lot of Danny's  2 driver speakers will work well in the .5 cu ft  cabinets.  Nice thing is those same cabinets are available in  Canada from  Creative Sound Soulutions. 
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=BLKC.50
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=BLKR.50
Other sizes and colors available too

When you and Danny decide what the best kit for you would be,  just be sure  to  find out which  size of cabinet to get.

-jay
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2012, 03:58 am by Captainhemo »

cnm_mike

« Reply #316 on: 21 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm »
If I wanted to lower the tweeters on the x-statik, would it be preferable to deepen the cabinet or make it wider?
thx,
Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #317 on: 21 Dec 2012, 11:08 pm »
If I wanted to lower the tweeters on the x-statik, would it be preferable to deepen the cabinet or make it wider?
thx,
Mike

I am not sure why you'd want the tweeters to be lower. They need to be closer to ear level.

The only way to make the box shorter is to remove space below the lower woofer. This means the box for those lower woofer would have to get deeper.

cnm_mike

« Reply #318 on: 22 Dec 2012, 12:38 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I want to lower the tweeter by about 4" because I want the feet to be 1.5" thick and I want to add spikes, plus my seating height is a bit lower than "normal". My calculations show that the cabinet depth needs to be increased by about 2.5". Does this sound about right? I will be ordering soon. What are your "I am on holiday vacation, don't bother me" days?

thanks,
Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #319 on: 22 Dec 2012, 01:31 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I want to lower the tweeter by about 4" because I want the feet to be 1.5" thick and I want to add spikes, plus my seating height is a bit lower than "normal". My calculations show that the cabinet depth needs to be increased by about 2.5". Does this sound about right? I will be ordering soon. What are your "I am on holiday vacation, don't bother me" days?

thanks,
Mike

You can contact me any time. If I don't answer then leave a message and I'll call you back.