Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

Danny Richie

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #280 on: 15 Nov 2012, 04:26 pm »
Ruben, if you are not the supplier, who is?  No, I'm not going to try to buy direct from whoever it is.

I owe them and will be selling them. Ruben will be packing and shipping.

Coldfusion

« Reply #281 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:48 pm »
Is there a cabinet price yet?

Cabinet Price (unknown) + $25 handling (Ruben) + Actual Shipping Charges.

Danny Richie

« Reply #282 on: 15 Nov 2012, 06:57 pm »
Okay, here is what I am going to do.

These were made for me by a guy that owed me some money and I let him pay me in cabinets. That is all I am going to say about that. Long story, don't ask.

I am going to blow them out for less that what I have in them. I just want them to move fast and to more kits for Santiago.

Ruben needs $25 a pair for packing material, boxes, and handling these things. He had to go pick them all up too. Also average shipping cost per pair is about $35.

So I am going to blow out the unpainted MDF cabinets for $150 a pair delivered. That means I pay the shipping. I pay Ruben for handling. So you guys get them for $75 a piece delivered to your door and you pay me for them when ordering your kit.

For the painted ones I will offer the same deal. I pay for Ruben to handle and pack them and for all the shipping. You guys get them for $200 a pair delivered to your door.

And that is inside the Continental US. 

Ruben will post some pics as soon as he can.

I have:

10 ) X-LS Classic boxes not painted
6 ) X-LS Encore boxes not painted
6 ) X-LS Classic boxes painted
8 ) X-LS Encore boxes painted

Painted boxes are all Black.

The initial feedback that I got from Ruben on the quality of the raw MDF boxes was pretty good and for the painted ones, fair. I'll let him comment on them further. 

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #283 on: 15 Nov 2012, 07:49 pm »
Ruben, all we need now are some good photos posted.  I need to make a decision by tomorrow.
Also, what is the MDF thickness and are they well-braced?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #284 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:03 pm »
Ruben, all we need now are some good photos posted.  I need to make a decision by tomorrow.
Also, what is the MDF thickness and are they well-braced?

I will get some pics up later today.

Ruben

pandpliers

« Reply #285 on: 16 Nov 2012, 02:44 am »
  Hi all !  First post as a newbie . Wahoo.  Hope i do this in the right place and time. I got to hear a pair of n2x a couple years ago. They sounded detailed and clear . I am in the last stages of deciding between a pair of x-omni or x-statik kits that Danny has. Either one would be upgraded with the sonicaps.  Just hard to do pick having not heard them.  Any one who has both care to offer some insight? Or just point me in the page where it was already discussed. Thanks

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #286 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:30 am »
  Hi all !  First post as a newbie . Wahoo.  Hope i do this in the right place and time. I got to hear a pair of n2x a couple years ago. They sounded detailed and clear . I am in the last stages of deciding between a pair of x-omni or x-statik kits that Danny has. Either one would be upgraded with the sonicaps.  Just hard to do pick having not heard them.  Any one who has both care to offer some insight? Or just point me in the page where it was already discussed. Thanks

I own and have upgraded both speakers.  Personally, I use the X-Statiks as my reference speakers.  Not that I haven't heard better.  But  for the money these were a steal and the best I can currently afford.  Plus I just love the way they look.  The first time I heard them I was absolutely blown away. My jaw literally dropped.  Fantastic speakers!  Highly recommended!

Currently I use the Omnis in my HT rig as surrounds.  The ambiance they create is spooky good!  I haven't tried them as mains in a long time but I remember finding their sound to be big and expansive with an incredible soundstage.  In my older and larger apartment I used them in the bedroom at the foot of the bed.  They made for great ambiance and late night listening.  You have to give them space from the walls for them to sound their best.

Either one is a good choice but I say go for the gold and get the Statiks.  You wont regret it. :thumb:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #287 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:03 pm »
Hey Guys,

Couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to get the pictures taken and posted last night. :icon_lol:

The glue joints are visible here and there, there is some overspray on the tops and the lacquer was not applied very smoothly. The woofer holes are not rounded-over on the inside edge.

The unfinished ones will need a bit of sanding to smooth out the round-overs before finishing.

Even with these imperfections, you are still getting a REALLY good package deal on these speakers. They will look fine and sound great from the couch! :thumb:

Thanks,

Ruben

Again, I played no part in the building, or finishing of these enclosures.

pureiso

« Reply #288 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:14 pm »

I own both.  So I can give you quite a bit of insight.

What kind of application are you planning on using them in?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #289 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:37 pm »
Danny,

Is that bracing O.K. on the LS boxes or should it be changed or added to?

And a completely different question, with the new 6.5" 8 ohm version of your new speakers, what would be the correct cubic feet for one in a sealed box and for 2 sealed in a box?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #290 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:53 pm »
I'd add a crossbrace like the center one on the back baffle between the two holes

Danny Richie

« Reply #291 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:57 pm »
Danny,

Is that bracing O.K. on the LS boxes or should it be changed or added to?

And a completely different question, with the new 6.5" 8 ohm version of your new speakers, what would be the correct cubic feet for one in a sealed box and for 2 sealed in a box?

Bracing looks a little light. If it were me then I would be adding some.

My new 8 ohm woofers need at least .67 cubic feet sealed.

The 16 ohm woofers have an even higher Qts and would need 2.5 cubic feet sealed for the pair.

pandpliers

« Reply #292 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:19 pm »
 Thanks Corndog for your info.  Do any attributes stick out one from the other to say this one is better because of this or that?  Can you easily pinpoint singers, instruments, etc one more than the other?  I guess it isn't about one being better than the other but me trying to understand what attributes  or positives one has that fit more of what I think I would like to hear. Hope that makes sense.

Pureiso     I only have a two channel marantz pm15s2. I am not going to go surround  although I  use my system everyday for movies and music.  My feelings are if the music portion sounds good and accurate it will be more than adequate for movies. Music quality first. I really don't have a good sub that I use at this time but would like to add one or two at some point in the future as I hear two are better than one.  :icon_lol: I would love to hear how you feel about both of them that you have!   Thanks

agw

« Reply #293 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:40 pm »
I've been monitoring this thread from a distance.  The kit prices and the enclosure deal are hitting that sweet spot for someone interested in dabbling in diy, but weary of getting in too deep on the first go-around.
Two questions on the enclosures (assuming there are still some available):

1. Is the MDF of the appropriate thickness?
2. What about the missing radius on the backside of the cutouts?  I assume the radius is a physical requirement - how hard is adding that going to be on an assembled cabinet?

Danny Richie

« Reply #294 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:53 pm »
The MDF is the correct thickness.

You guys will need one of these to cut the back side of the woofer hole though.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #295 on: 17 Nov 2012, 03:21 pm »
Fail.  I have waited a LONG time for this seemingly simple offer of basic MDF boxes.   I asked for at least an estimate of price and nothing was forthcoming.  I asked for MDF thickness and there is no reply.  I will order today from PE, a pair of finished cabs and a pair of their flats.  This is my first disappointment in GR Research in a many year-long relationship, but, given all the good transactions and results, this is just a small speed bump.  Danny remains my fav in the DIY supplier venue.

Danny Richie

« Reply #296 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:21 pm »
Fail.  I have waited a LONG time for this seemingly simple offer of basic MDF boxes.   I asked for at least an estimate of price and nothing was forthcoming.  I asked for MDF thickness and there is no reply.  I will order today from PE, a pair of finished cabs and a pair of their flats.  This is my first disappointment in GR Research in a many year-long relationship, but, given all the good transactions and results, this is just a small speed bump.  Danny remains my fav in the DIY supplier venue.

Sorry Hank, I didn't have any of this information until Ruben arrived to pick the boxes up. I got no picks, no pricing, or anything. And they weren't even in boxes like they were suppose to be. So now I am having to purchase shipping boxes and packing material.

These are still less expensive than the PE boxes as well.

And I will be glad to send you my reverse router bit if you mail it back when you are done. Or I will pay Ruben to run a router through the woofer holes before shipping.

All of this does use 3/4" MDF that was made in the USA and not imported Chinese made MDF boxes.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #297 on: 18 Nov 2012, 05:32 pm »
Thanks Corndog for your info.  Do any attributes stick out one from the other to say this one is better because of this or that?  Can you easily pinpoint singers, instruments, etc one more than the other?  I guess it isn't about one being better than the other but me trying to understand what attributes  or positives one has that fit more of what I think I would like to hear. Hope that makes sense.

Well the most obvious difference is the complexity of the 3-way x-statik vs. the 2-way omni.  The statik can handle more power, has better bass and a more fleshed out sound.  The omni seems to run out of steam if you push them too hard.  Both produce very good sound stages although I think the statik does it better since all of the drivers are facing forward.  It's a bit of a challenge describing the omni.  It's a unique speaker.  On the practical side the omni would be an easier build and cheaper to upgrade.  Now you're making me want to try the omnis as mains.  I'll report back after some experimenting.

pandpliers

« Reply #298 on: 19 Nov 2012, 12:51 am »
Thanks again CORNDOG!  I will put your vote down as a solid x-statik supporter.  And what you said about more fleshed out since the drivers are all facing forward seems reasonable. Makes sense. Good description.  Let me know how the speaker swapping goes and your impressions.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #299 on: 19 Nov 2012, 02:55 am »
Or I will pay Ruben to run a router through the woofer holes before shipping.

Maybe Ruben can do this to all the boxes for a fee, saves everyone buying a bit themselves :)