Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

Danny Richie

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #260 on: 27 Oct 2012, 05:57 pm »
OK, I do understand that this might be an unusual question, but would a X-LS Encore work in a car door/ dash?
I have just been quoted almost $3K for a 3 way (canadian) speaker set up to be installed in my car in the front doors/dash and this seems like a heap of money!
If you were to instal the woofer for the X-LS Encore in the doors and the tweeter in the dash (firing at the window and bounced at your face (which I think will fit)), would that work??
I would imagine that you might need to damp the tweeter a smidge (is that easy enough with a few resitors??)
I also understand that a 2 x 100w car amp (i.e. into 4 ohms, hence 2x 50w into 8 ohms) would be preferable (, may be even high passed at at 50Hz or so(?)) would be suggested  :)
anyway, just a thought, anybody think of something I might have missed here?
ta

If you mount speakers like that into a car then the crossover has to be redesigned. In fact it has to be designed in the car and for that car. Not easy...

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #261 on: 27 Oct 2012, 11:12 pm »
Thanks Danny   :)

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #262 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:23 pm »
Danny, can you tell us how much longer your speaker cabinets will take?  Not much time left before Christmas and I'd rather not buy the PE cabinets.  thx

Danny Richie

« Reply #263 on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:04 pm »
Danny, can you tell us how much longer your speaker cabinets will take?  Not much time left before Christmas and I'd rather not buy the PE cabinets.  thx

I was told yesterday that the foam solution was taken care of and should be completed in a couple of days. They should be ready very soon. As soon as I find out what the foam pieces and boxing cost I will have a price. I expect a great price that you guys will really like. I will be giving them away at cost just to move some more of these kits.

TheLaw612

« Reply #264 on: 30 Oct 2012, 07:19 pm »
I was told yesterday that the foam solution was taken care of and should be completed in a couple of days. They should be ready very soon. As soon as I find out what the foam pieces and boxing cost I will have a price. I expect a great price that you guys will really like. I will be giving them away at cost just to move some more of these kits.

That is music to my ears since I am moving soon and won't be able to build anything. Can't wait!

Ed VB

« Reply #265 on: 4 Nov 2012, 12:39 am »
Danny

Do you have a PDF of the X-Voce enclosure?

Can the front baffle be made from Baltic birch or do you still recommend MDF?

Any improvements that can be made if rolling your own?

What radius for the rear of the open baffle drivers and what radius for for the sealed drivers for the back of the baffle?

What mods improve the most on the X-Voce and X-Statik speakers for the best bang for the buck?  There must be a point where you get most of the improvements before money is no object.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Danny Richie

« Reply #266 on: 5 Nov 2012, 01:46 pm »
Danny

Do you have a PDF of the X-Voce enclosure?

Can the front baffle be made from Baltic birch or do you still recommend MDF?

Any improvements that can be made if rolling your own?

What radius for the rear of the open baffle drivers and what radius for for the sealed drivers for the back of the baffle?

What mods improve the most on the X-Voce and X-Statik speakers for the best bang for the buck?  There must be a point where you get most of the improvements before money is no object.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

I can e-mail you enclosure plans.

I like MDF myself, but you can use Baltic Birch on this cabinet.

The radius on the back side can be 3/8" to 1/2 on 3/4" material.

The best mods are upgrading the caps to Sonicaps and lining the cabinet with No Rez.

Ed VB

« Reply #267 on: 6 Nov 2012, 12:10 am »
I can e-mail you enclosure plans.

I like MDF myself, but you can use Baltic Birch on this cabinet.

The radius on the back side can be 3/8" to 1/2 on 3/4" material.

The best mods are upgrading the caps to Sonicaps and lining the cabinet with No Rez.

I also have two choices that would be cheaper for me and match my furniture.

I would like the front baffle to be the same thickness the full 48" length.
( That is what most of the pictures of the X-Statik looks like)

Can I do either of the following and if so what thickness from 1.5" to 2.5" would be ideal? Which would be the better choice if it would work?

This first on is 1" wide quarter sawn Red Oak 1.5" to 2.5" thick.

Or a solid 8.5" x 48" quarter sawn Red Oak board 1.5" to 2.5" thick?

It would be easier to make and finish the front baffle for both the X-Statik and X-Voce and fasten the woofer enclosures to them.

It looks like four sheets of No-Rez would just cover the three enclosures. Am I correct?

I am covering the last details to get a good idea of the total cost.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Danny Richie

« Reply #268 on: 6 Nov 2012, 12:52 am »
Solid woods tend to warp and move too much. And they are much more resonant.

You can get by with laminating a layer of solid wood to MDF and that can work out pretty well.

Ed VB

« Reply #269 on: 6 Nov 2012, 03:10 am »
Solid woods tend to warp and move too much. And they are much more resonant.

You can get by with laminating a layer of solid wood to MDF and that can work out pretty well.

Ok MDF it is.

But from one PDF plan I saw the bottom front panel was 3/4" while the top was doubled at 1.5". All the X-Statik's I saw look like 1.5" all the way down?

How did they do that veneer that way for the production run?

Since you do not have any completed ones left I need to make my own. I am sure it will help others in the same boat as I.

Hank

« Reply #270 on: 6 Nov 2012, 03:01 pm »
I would not glue solid wood onto MDF - use paper-backed veneer and you'll be pleased with the result  Hand-rubbed Danish oil finish, or for maximum protection, polyurethane finish.

Hank

« Reply #271 on: 6 Nov 2012, 03:07 pm »
On 10/30 Danny wrote:
Sorry to pester Danny, but are you able to post details/photos of these X LS/X LS Encore cabinets?
thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #272 on: 6 Nov 2012, 03:27 pm »
On 10/30 Danny wrote: Sorry to pester Danny, but are you able to post details/photos of these X LS/X LS Encore cabinets?
thanks

I can't wait to provide that info. I have someone working on getting me that today.

Danny Richie

« Reply #273 on: 6 Nov 2012, 03:30 pm »
Ok MDF it is.

But from one PDF plan I saw the bottom front panel was 3/4" while the top was doubled at 1.5". All the X-Statik's I saw look like 1.5" all the way down?

How did they do that veneer that way for the production run?

Since you do not have any completed ones left I need to make my own. I am sure it will help others in the same boat as I.

I have a lot of completed X-Voce left.

zhewie

« Reply #274 on: 10 Nov 2012, 02:32 pm »
Hi Dennis,

I am upgrading my 12 x 17 x 8' HT. 

I am thinking of going X-OMNI all around in a 5.1 system. 

Can I put the X-OMNI in a smaller cabinet (bookshelf/ monitor size) and mount this against wall with woofer downfiring ?

Thanks

zhe.

Danny Richie

« Reply #275 on: 10 Nov 2012, 07:10 pm »
Hi Dennis,

I am upgrading my 12 x 17 x 8' HT. 

I am thinking of going X-OMNI all around in a 5.1 system. 

Can I put the X-OMNI in a smaller cabinet (bookshelf/ monitor size) and mount this against wall with woofer downfiring ?

Thanks

zhe.

Any omni designed free standing speaker needs to be placed a good 3 feet or more from any wall.

Something like an X-CS makes for a better center channel and allows for placement very near the wall.

And welcome to AC!

Hank

« Reply #276 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:39 pm »
I can't wait to provide that info. I have someone working on getting me that today.
I'm running out of time and need to make a decision and order cabs this week.

Danny Richie

« Reply #277 on: 12 Nov 2012, 06:52 pm »
I'm running out of time and need to make a decision and order cabs this week.

Ruben now has possession of the cabinets and will be sending or posting pics soon. I need to work out some handing and boxing details with Ruben then will have a price.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #278 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:56 pm »
Hi All,  :wave:

I will try to get some pics up by tomorrow afternoon.

The packing materials are still held up by the enclosure supplier, so I will be using my own packing. I am charging $25.00 for packing materials and the boxing up of each pair.

Shipping will be handled by FedEx. As soon as I get a pair ready to ship I will post dimensions and weight so that you can calculate what  your shipping cost will be.

Thanks!

Ruben

Hank

« Reply #279 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:23 pm »
Ruben, if you are not the supplier, who is?  No, I'm not going to try to buy direct from whoever it is.