Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

grimace

Re: Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.
« Reply #180 on: 1 Jul 2012, 01:24 pm »
Hey Larry, just to inspire you some more. I had picked up two X-LS kits in the Memorial Day sale that Danny ran to make for high school graduation gifts.  We finished up the first set yesterday and listened to them for a few hours right next to my N3-TLs and I was really, really impressed.

Mids and highs were crisp but natural.  The bass was absolutely amazing and tight.   The 18-yr old kid that they are for wanted to help build them and he worked hard on them, so I reluctantly gave him the prime listening seat :). The soundstage was big.  They imaged well and I had a total blast introducing the next generation to good music (early U2, Cure, Smiths, Cult, Pat Metheny, Roxy Music, Tracy Chapman, Steely Dan) from my teens on some quality equipment.  The X-LS played them all well, all while filling a really big room.  Lot of fun.

BTW, He's hooked...so pass it on guys.

Danny Richie

« Reply #181 on: 1 Jul 2012, 01:55 pm »
Hey Larry, just to inspire you some more. I had picked up two X-LS kits in the Memorial Day sale that Danny ran to make for high school graduation gifts.  We finished up the first set yesterday and listened to them for a few hours right next to my N3-TLs and I was really, really impressed.

Mids and highs were crisp but natural.  The bass was absolutely amazing and tight.   The 18-yr old kid that they are for wanted to help build them and he worked hard on them, so I reluctantly gave him the prime listening seat :). The soundstage was big.  They imaged well and I had a total blast introducing the next generation to good music (early U2, Cure, Smiths, Cult, Pat Metheny, Roxy Music, Tracy Chapman, Steely Dan) from my teens on some quality equipment.  The X-LS played them all well, all while filling a really big room.  Lot of fun.

BTW, He's hooked...so pass it on guys.

I love hearing stories like that.  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #182 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:02 pm »
I don't know about the rest of the follks here  (I've only been  on AC for a short time) but I love reading  the full build threads 
If you feel like it, start a new thread and  show us your progress :)

-jay

BC

« Reply #183 on: 9 Jul 2012, 03:06 pm »
Hey Danny,   When is your next sale on the kits..............I bought one awile back and its good stuff......would like to try the Encore next time around.......maybe they will go on sale also.......Thanks :D               BC

Danny Richie

« Reply #184 on: 9 Jul 2012, 03:54 pm »
Hey Danny,   When is your next sale on the kits..............I bought one awile back and its good stuff......would like to try the Encore next time around.......maybe they will go on sale also.......Thanks :D               BC

Those X-LS Encore kits are only $149 and the Classics are only $109. I really don't have much room there to discount them.

How about if I made you guys a really low price on some nice Black painted MDF cabinets with a fine semi-gloss finish?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #185 on: 11 Jul 2012, 12:40 pm »
Okay, make my day. :)  I'll buy a pair of cabinets to go with the pair of Encore's I bought a few weeks ago, as I just don't have time for cabinet building nowadays and I want to build these for my son for the end of the month.

Danny Richie

« Reply #186 on: 11 Jul 2012, 01:43 pm »
Okay, make my day. :)  I'll buy a pair of cabinets to go with the pair of Encore's I bought a few weeks ago, as I just don't have time for cabinet building nowadays and I want to build these for my son for the end of the month.

Okay, I have a cabinet deal in the works. Stay tuned. Details to come.

pureiso

« Reply #187 on: 11 Jul 2012, 07:37 pm »

Looks like I may be selling my Mission towers shortly and picking up a pair of these bad boys...

Do you plan on having the baffles precut as well, making it just a matter of putting it all together?

Danny Richie

« Reply #188 on: 11 Jul 2012, 08:31 pm »
Looks like I may be selling my Mission towers shortly and picking up a pair of these bad boys...

Do you plan on having the baffles precut as well, making it just a matter of putting it all together?

Completed cabinets (all CNC cut). Possibly unpainted MDF or Black painted MDF.

pureiso

« Reply #189 on: 11 Jul 2012, 08:33 pm »

Well, time to post up my Mission towers for sale then. ;)

TheLaw612

« Reply #190 on: 12 Jul 2012, 04:16 am »

Wow, can't wait to see how this turns out. Count me in.

nature boy

« Reply #191 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm »
Danny,

Let us know when you have something on cabinets.  I may build another pair of Encores.

Hank

« Reply #192 on: 19 Jul 2012, 01:33 pm »
Danny, if you offer a really sweet deal on unfinished (I'm still veneer meister)  cabinets, I may just have to buy another pair of X-LS Encore kits  :wink:

siava1018

« Reply #193 on: 1 Aug 2012, 04:36 am »
Whats the sensitivity on the XL-S encores and the X-Omnis?

pureiso

« Reply #194 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:08 pm »
Whats the sensitivity on the XL-S encores and the X-Omnis?

86 db for the X-Omni.  I think the X-LS is 87 db...

siava1018

« Reply #195 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:24 pm »
Thank you

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #196 on: 9 Aug 2012, 09:09 pm »
Box plans are here: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/x-ls%20classic%20box.pdf

I got hold of the carpenter who also works for a Chennai based speaker maker. He is confused about the measurements provided in the 'box plans. For example, in the box plan of the X-LS front baffle the tweeter hole is written as 3.125" and the countersink is 3.93". The depth of the countersink is mentioned as .18". I tried explaining using the markings on the inch tape but couldn't. Can someone translate these into readable numbers like 3 1/4 inch and measurements like that.

Danny Richie

« Reply #197 on: 9 Aug 2012, 09:36 pm »
I got hold of the carpenter who also works for a Chennai based speaker maker. He is confused about the measurements provided in the 'box plans. For example, in the box plan of the X-LS front baffle the tweeter hole is written as 3.125" and the countersink is 3.93". The depth of the countersink is mentioned as .18". I tried explaining using the markings on the inch tape but couldn't. Can someone translate these into readable numbers like 3 1/4 inch and measurements like that.

3.125" is 3 and 1/8th. 3.93 is roughly 3 and 15/16ths (.9375"). .1875 is 3/16ths of an inch.

That should give you a good idea.

If the cabinet builder uses a dial caliper (most people do) then the measurements will be in decimals (like listed) and not in fractions.

If you need me to I can convert to millimeters.   

brother love

« Reply #198 on: 9 Aug 2012, 09:56 pm »
1 inch equals 25.4 millimeters, so just multiply inches  x 25.4 ...

3.125 in. x 25.4 mm/ in. = 79.375 mm

Hank

« Reply #199 on: 10 Aug 2012, 12:44 pm »
Where are these being made - India?  Surely not.  CNC'd = small labor content and shipping MDF across the pond would be expensive.   UNLESS you're ordering hundreds of them.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2012, 06:06 pm by Hank »