Felix project

*Scotty*

Re: Felix project
« Reply #380 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:23 am »
Here are pictures of some hardwired Felix filters. 18 ga. was used,16ga. is a better choice.
I used 12 and 14ga. when I wired my Felix filters to future proof them. I also used 17amp rated JW Miller inductors in my build. I did not daisy chain my outlets. I ran a set of wires,hot and neutral to each outlet from a central buss point fed by the output of the filter.

Scotty

wushuliu

« Reply #381 on: 24 Feb 2011, 08:52 pm »
Would there be any benefit to having felixes plugged into isolation transformers (Powervar)?

wushuliu

« Reply #382 on: 27 Feb 2011, 08:41 pm »
Is there a break-in time for a Felix? I've installed one for my Audio-gd dac and it just seems to take the fullness out of the sound. :|

*Scotty*

« Reply #383 on: 28 Feb 2011, 01:40 am »
I think there is. In my case I noticed a slight lack of extreme bottom end extension when I first installed the filters. To be fair I have to consider that at the time I was also breaking in the IEC inlets on the filters as well new power cords in addition to the filter components themselves. I would say at the 2 month mark the sense of extension was restored.
 The reduction of noise intermodulation by-products in your system, which should yield better resolution and dynamics across the entire frequency spectrum, may also be interpreted by some people as resulting in a leaner sound.
It is certain that you cannot reduce the the amount of of RFI contamination in a system and not impact what the system sounds like. Whether this change in sound is always perceived as an improvement or not may depend the components in the system and the nature of bass response irregularities present due to room interactions.
Scotty

wushuliu

« Reply #384 on: 28 Feb 2011, 02:07 am »
I think there is. In my case I noticed a slight lack of extreme bottom end extension when I first installed the filters. To be fair I have to consider that at the time I was also breaking in the IEC inlets on the filters as well new power cords in addition to the filter components themselves. I would say at the 2 month mark the sense of extension was restored.
 The reduction of noise intermodulation by-products in your system, which should yield better resolution and dynamics across the entire frequency, may also be interpreted by some people as resulting in a leaner sound.
It is certain that you cannot reduce the the amount of of RFI contamination in a system and not impact what the system sounds like. Whether this change in sound is always perceived as an improvement or not may depend the components in the system and the nature of bass response irregularities present due to room interactions.
Scotty

Thanks for the input. Lack of bottom end extension is indeed what I'm experiencing as well as some hardness in tonality. I guess I'll give it some time.

wushuliu

« Reply #385 on: 25 Mar 2011, 07:16 pm »
I have built 6 Felixes thus far for: DAC, USB/SPDIF Converter PS, PC, APC H10 conditioner, tube amp, and... refridgerator. The fridge responded right away, noise level dropped and it's dead silent for long stretches. Everything else seems more subtle. I think it took a day or so for other components to adjust. My experience has been lower noise floor and cleaner presentation. I do have several 193L chokes plugged in at different points as well so I don't know if that is a hindrance in any way to the Felixes, but not to my eyes and ears. My television has never looked better: the 193Ls are worth it for video quality alone, but there's been an additional increase in resolution since the Felixes were installed so I think they complement each other well. HD channels are the best they've ever looked.

The tonal issue I mentioned in above post was due to another component that got the axe shortly after.

Many thanks to Paul. They really are so easy to build that PCB is totally unnecessary. Cheap, simple project to keep your hands busy.

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2011, 05:41 am by wushuliu »

wushuliu

« Reply #386 on: 21 May 2011, 04:22 pm »
So has anyone actually tried using larger capacitance with their Felix? I added an additional 1-2uf to two of mine - one for DAC, and the other a 12v linear power supply - and I swear the effect has been very positive. I am going to try on two others and see what happens.

wushuliu

« Reply #387 on: 2 Jun 2011, 07:39 am »
Well I will add that I think adding the extra 1uf or so per side does wonders for my digital gear and in particular DACs with no detriment that I can discern.

praedet

« Reply #388 on: 2 Jun 2011, 02:37 pm »
So, what values did you use for the various caps then if I might ask?  And, are you running one on anything high current, such as an amp?

wushuliu

« Reply #389 on: 2 Jun 2011, 02:47 pm »
So, what values did you use for the various caps then if I might ask?  And, are you running one on anything high current, such as an amp?

I replaced the 1ufs with 2.2ufs. No, I will avoid the amp and analog gear for now with the larger value.

theojt

Proper placement (and values) of fuses
« Reply #390 on: 6 Jul 2011, 08:43 pm »
I am building a quad Felix into a single enclosure (see pic below).  Is it more appropriate to place fuses on each individual Felix and if so, is it best on the input side or output side?  Should I just use one fuse at the AC line in? A combination of both?  I plan on adding each HT component's max current rating and then either selecting individual fuses based on that (independent) or aggregating the values to identify a single, bigger fuse if that is recommended.  I also thought about down-rating the fuse a bit since most components will not run at max (except at turn on) and most components don't turn on all together anyway.  Suggestions and advice please!

mjosef

« Reply #391 on: 7 Jul 2011, 03:45 am »
Seems to me you would need a fuse before every individual 'Felix'. The fuse is there to protect the coil from being asked to exceed its amp rating, by accident or whatnot.
If you place a 15A fuse before the DC blocker, to protect the whole unit, then you can forgo the 17A fuse and just fuse the smaller Felix units.

derekhsu

« Reply #392 on: 16 Aug 2011, 01:51 am »
Dear all members,

I am new here.
I am very interested in the Felix Module.
Is Version 1.0 is the latest version?
should I buy the board from a specific member or I should ask for the dwg file.

I am also interested on the DC Blocker, could any member help me in the BOM (component list)?

Best Regards
DH
:D

derekhsu

« Reply #393 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:16 am »
 :slap: :slap: :slap:

Any help from other members?
I want to buy the PCB locating the latest Version and then printed locally.

Any idea on DC Blocker - what the FULL WAVE Rectifier model and cap size?

Regards
Derek

peranders

« Reply #394 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:18 am »
Cap value is determined by the AC current and used zeners or diodes. I have written about the problem here
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2011, 03:10 pm by peranders »

kyrill

Re: Felix project also DC ready?
« Reply #395 on: 11 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm »
Hi ppl
I have many Felixes running fine for every stand alone gear.

I have a laptop  as as music source and it sounds softer, less harsh when playing on its internal battery. Helas that one is out of juice in 2 hrs. SO I have to connect it to its charger a SWPS what you normally get for 13 inch laptops /
SO i figured to use a Felix without the caps ( I understood  the caps are for AC only and that DC need electrolytics) between laptop and its swps 'charger". I measured the V(19V) all going well. I listened for 20 minutes and then I smelled "hot enamel" and yes the Coilcraft P3717-AL 0.3 ohms was very very hot. I didn't dare to continue. I understood back then form Paul, that you could use the Felix also after a swps to filter its DC.
SO why is it so hot? >190 F I suppose

randytsuch

« Reply #396 on: 11 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm »
Hi ppl

I have a laptop  as as music source and it sounds softer, less harsh when playing on its internal battery. Helas that one is out of juice in 2 hrs. SO I have to connect it to its charger a SWPS what you normally get for 13 inch laptops /
SO i figured to use a Felix without the caps ( I understood  the caps are for AC only and that DC need electrolytics) between laptop and its swps 'charger". I measured the V(19V) all going well. I listened for 20 minutes and then I smelled "hot enamel" and yes the Coilcraft P3717-AL 0.3 ohms was very very hot. I didn't dare to continue. I understood back then form Paul, that you could use the Felix also after a swps to filter its DC.

The Felix parts are designed for 115 VAC, I don't remember the exact specs for the coils, but there were a couple choices, with one supporting more current.

If you connected on the charger at 19V, the current will be much higher then if you were on 115V.  You are most likely putting too much current through the coil, and the high current is overheating it.

BTW, you could use the caps here, at worst they won't help, but they should filter out some noise.

Randy

kyrill

« Reply #397 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:03 pm »
thx for the fast response
It would make sense..

I will check the laptops charger how much current it gves at those 19 V
4,7A   and the Coilcraft is rated for 3A

I was fooled by the idea that ah, it is latop that will not be that powerful... not so clever...
thx for the tip no harm is done with using the caps.

SET Man

« Reply #398 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:16 pm »
Hi ppl

Hey!

Not an expert here. But usually rating for DC is lower than stated AC rating.... at least for the caps. I don't know if those coils show rating for DC use. Maybe close to half of AC rating... better check with expert here.

A little history side note... this is the reason why AC own over DC as our main power distribution. It takes more copper to carry DC than AC for the same amount of amperes and voltage.

Edited: Look like you found the answer there.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

rdsu

« Reply #399 on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:13 am »
Hi,

For those who live in a 230V country and tried JW Miller 8118 and 8120 with their amps, did you find some difference about dynamics?
My amplifier input impedance is 100kOhm.

About capacitors, did you tried another brands, like Evox-Rifa X2 and Wima X2, both Impreg. paper, or other models...?

Thanks