Felix project

tonyptony

Re: Felix project
« Reply #360 on: 26 Jan 2011, 05:39 pm »
I've been following this with great interest. I have some ability in building electronics so I'm thinking of giving this a try. But I have been curious - does anyone know what the PS Audio Duet has in it? From the description it sounds a lot like what the Felix would do. I'm not asking for a which is better; in keeping with the tone of the thread I'm more interested in what its circuit might be in comparison to the Felix.

nottaway

« Reply #361 on: 26 Jan 2011, 07:52 pm »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #362 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:14 am »
How long is too long for a Felix on a power cable? 

Power Cord (Plug end) > Felix > Power Cord with IEC

kenreau

« Reply #363 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:30 pm »
Would something like this work in place of the fuse?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=074-022&scqty=1

Also will someone point me towards a DIY DC blocker? LINK?

I sure like the concept of using a circuit breaker, rather than a fuse. It just seems intuitive from build quality alone that it should result in a better sounding solution.  I only recall seeing them on Running Springs Audio and Jena Labs power filters.

Kenreau

mjosef

« Reply #364 on: 1 Feb 2011, 10:13 pm »
How long is too long for a Felix on a power cable? 

Power Cord (Plug end) > Felix > Power Cord with IEC

67 ft. 4ins. for a 10 ga. cord

sts9fan

« Reply #365 on: 1 Feb 2011, 11:15 pm »
I've done 68' but it was streching it. 

wushuliu

« Reply #366 on: 5 Feb 2011, 06:57 pm »
Would 16awg wire be big enough for Felix wiring, or should I go bigger?

JDUBS

« Reply #367 on: 5 Feb 2011, 07:09 pm »
I've done 68' but it was streching it.

Really?  I ran into SERIOUS performance issues around the 50' mark.

-Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #368 on: 5 Feb 2011, 07:53 pm »
Would 16awg wire be big enough for Felix wiring, or should I go bigger?

You are running 120 volts AC through this so I wouldn't use anything less than 12 ga solid romex myself.  14 ga would probably be enough if rated for 120 vac and the devices connected.  16 sounds too small to me.

sts9fan

« Reply #369 on: 5 Feb 2011, 11:58 pm »
Here is my Felix.  For source components I have two cascaded with a Furutech recepticle

« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2011, 03:02 am by sts9fan »

GBB

« Reply #370 on: 6 Feb 2011, 01:43 am »
You are running 120 volts AC through this so I wouldn't use anything less than 12 ga solid romex myself.  14 ga would probably be enough if rated for 120 vac and the devices connected.  16 sounds too small to me.
:scratch:  I don't think that's the right answer.  If you do a google search you'll find the following site http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm which shows max current for both chassis wiring applications and also power distribution, which means house wiring.

Assuming one is using a Felix for source components, then you're likely to be drawing under 3 amps.  The minimum wire gauge you'd want to use for 3A would be 24 gauge.  So even 16 gauge is massive overkill.  Typically, I use 18 gauge wire in my line filters.

---Gary

*Scotty*

« Reply #371 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:58 am »
Just a thought here, but you might consider selecting the gauge and type of wire used to wire up a Felix filter based on sonic considerations as well as amperage requirements dictated by the load.
 If you accept that you might be able to hear the sound of a power-cord then the the internal wiring used to connect the Felix to the AC receptacles and power inlet will also have sonic consequences.
Scotty

wushuliu

« Reply #372 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:29 am »
Just a thought here, but you might consider selecting the gauge and type of wire used to wire up a Felix filter based on sonic considerations as well as amperage requirements dictated by the load.
 If you accept that you might be able to hear the sound of a power-cord then the the internal wiring used to connect the Felix to the AC receptacles and power inlet will also have sonic consequences.
Scotty

That's why I asked. I just salvaged a whole lot of Neotech 16awg PCOCC 600v Teflon wire from my previous speakers  :wink:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #373 on: 6 Feb 2011, 07:20 am »
sts9fan,

Did you notice any improvement in sound quality by cascading your Felix's ? I thought that you only needed to use the backside and the choke of the Felix when you cascade.

-Roy

Big Red Machine

« Reply #374 on: 6 Feb 2011, 01:45 pm »
:scratch:  I don't think that's the right answer.  If you do a google search you'll find the following site http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm which shows max current for both chassis wiring applications and also power distribution, which means house wiring.

Assuming one is using a Felix for source components, then you're likely to be drawing under 3 amps.  The minimum wire gauge you'd want to use for 3A would be 24 gauge.  So even 16 gauge is massive overkill.  Typically, I use 18 gauge wire in my line filters.

---Gary

And if he runs a 500 wpc Class A amp through it someday?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #375 on: 6 Feb 2011, 01:55 pm »
And if he runs a 500 wpc Class A amp through it someday?

The rating for the board is 10A and a 500wpc Class A will exceed that.  My 300wpc Class A mono block amp draws 800w each (6.6A @ 120VAC) of electric at idle...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #376 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:46 pm »
And that's my point.  I would wire it for all possible future applications and avoid an embarrassing fuse blowing or worse if I decided to put this out front of an amp or my entire system.

sts9fan

« Reply #377 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:28 pm »
Roy
I have not installed it yet. As far as what's needed I have no idea.  I had two so I stacked them.

*Scotty*

« Reply #378 on: 7 Feb 2011, 02:18 am »
Connections on the Felix board could be made directly to the inductor pins which would make the current rating of the Felix equivalent to the current rating of the inductor used on the board.
If you have used an inductor with a current rating higher than that of the circuit traces on the board you can take advantage of that capability.
Scotty
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2011, 03:35 am by *Scotty* »

wushuliu

« Reply #379 on: 7 Feb 2011, 11:11 pm »
And that's my point.  I would wire it for all possible future applications and avoid an embarrassing fuse blowing or worse if I decided to put this out front of an amp or my entire system.

Not sure if you guys are addressing my question but I am not using the boards (they're not available anymore, correct?) but will be hand-wired. I'll be building a 7-duplex Felix for my entire HT/Music setup. According to the specs I know the 16awg should be able to handle that, I was just curious about real-world experience.

I have zero intention of 500w Class A anything anytime soon. They're not exaclty giving power away here in SoCal.