Felix project

nature boy

Re: Felix project
« Reply #200 on: 1 Jun 2008, 04:16 pm »
Kyrill,

If you want to see a nice rifle, here is my little Thumper.  A 1964 Winchester Model 70 in a 30.06 caliber.  This was my late cousins rifle.  Last year I had Robert W. Hart & Sons install a new stainless steel barrel, Hart trigger set w/ a 3 lbs. pull, and a Maine Vue 3x9 powered scope.  Bobby Hart also accurized the rifle - bedded the barrel, lapping the bolt head, barrel crown, and scope rings.  Bobby also put a custom paint job on the stock for me. This one fine bolt action rifle that I use for deer hunting.

This gun is a real nail tacker. I can put 5 shots inside a 1.5" circle at 200 yards.

My Little Thumper

Thumper close up of bolt action.

NB

JoshK

« Reply #201 on: 1 Jun 2008, 04:52 pm »
Very nice, to both your Felix and your Thumper.  '30 odd 6' has some kick.  I have fired one of those once or twice.

BobM

« Reply #202 on: 1 Jun 2008, 05:36 pm »
I noticed Gordy used a pair of hemostats during the soldering process. I've also found that these are invaluable when soldering - a highly recommended tool to use.

Good thing too, since many of us just have to clean up the pair we had back in the 70's and put them to good use again.  :thumb:

Enjoy,
Bob

kyrill

« Reply #203 on: 1 Jun 2008, 07:24 pm »
that is really nice at 200 yards
and wild deer taste like a fine wine
ah well

i am learning to brew my own beer ( that is allowed in my overly ruled little country)
and with the very thorough advises of Wayne ( from Bolder cable)
i gradually learn to  make a tasty beer that will make you miss at 20 yards  :green:

Gordy

« Reply #204 on: 1 Jun 2008, 07:30 pm »
  And he even wear an Audio Circle T-shirt while doing it. :lol:

:lol:  Roger was wearing the same shirt in blue.  It was an AC kinda day!

I doubt you need to worry about shielding Roger, an inch or two spacing, like we used between coils, should be cool..  Packing the Felix's any closer and I'd definitely think about adding some shielding between them though.

Love to hear your thoughts comparing the Felix's to the Felicia's in the same system!

Gordy

PS - Bob!   :shh:

BobM

« Reply #205 on: 1 Jun 2008, 07:43 pm »
If your packing several chokes together in the same box the common way to align them is at 90 degree angles to each other to avoid interaction, or at least angle them somewhat. Of course with those new project boards that becomes problematic.

I know when I built my Jon Risch filter there was a very noticeable improvement by doing this.

Enjoy,
Bob

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #206 on: 1 Jun 2008, 08:42 pm »
you mean the actually have another use besides the 70's thing  :lol:

I noticed Gordy used a pair of hemostats during the soldering process. I've also found that these are invaluable when soldering - a highly recommended tool to use.

Good thing too, since many of us just have to clean up the pair we had back in the 70's and put them to good use again.  :thumb:

Enjoy,
Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #207 on: 3 Jun 2008, 03:31 am »
Nice work Gordy !!! :beer:

Thanks for the photos Roger.....enjoy !!! :thumb:

Chris

Gordy

« Reply #208 on: 3 Jun 2008, 03:37 am »
Thanks Chris,  Brad's boards make it really clean and easy  8)

SET Man

« Reply #209 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:15 am »
Hey!

Man! Seeing you guys building this Felix thingy is making my hands itching!  :icon_lol:

I think might just have to build one just to cure my itching hands :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #210 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:18 am »
Hey!

Man! Seeing you guys building this Felix thingy is making my hands itching!  :icon_lol:

Take care,

It will come out better Buddy if your wearing an Audio Circle t-shirt.... :wink:

SET Man

« Reply #211 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:22 am »
Hey!

Take care,

It will come out better Buddy if your wearing an Audio Circle t-shirt.... :wink:

Hey!

Yeah, that will do! The same color as the one Gordy wear. :lol:

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #212 on: 4 Jun 2008, 08:38 pm »
...A DC blocker courtesy of Gordy.

Hey!

Gordy, what is this "DC blocker" thingy?

From the the picture it look like bridged rectifier and caps.

What improvement of this that you hear using in Felix?

Take care,

Gordy

« Reply #213 on: 4 Jun 2008, 09:09 pm »
That's all it is Buddy, a bridge and caps...

Use the top schematic as the redondo is only 1/2 as effective, I checked them both out using toroids and an electric heater.  The 2 diode drop was very effective, cutting the tranny buzz to almost nothing.  In some thread somewhere Paul mentioned that Felix type conditioners are always more effective with no DC on them, so I've been including the blockers ever since.  Don't quote me on the "always"...  :lol:

I've been using the 35a "E-Bay" bridges and some from one of the excess equipment sites, either Excess Solutions or Illinois?

SET Man

« Reply #214 on: 5 Jun 2008, 12:02 am »
Hey!

Thanks Gordy. :D That's simple enough.

But what value are those caps? Anything specific on these caps?

Talking about Felix.... I just built one last night :wink:

Take care,

nature boy

« Reply #215 on: 5 Jun 2008, 12:18 am »
Here are my initial impressions of the Felix in my two channel system after
listening to albums and CD's for about 6 hours.

Way lower noise floor.  I can hear much more detail on recordings, especially
very low volume level instruments, noises, etc. which really add to the
enjoyment of songs and instrumental pieces. On live recordings I get a much
more "you are in the room with musicians" sense of the music.

I was very impressed by vinyl playback, especially vocals.  The combination of
the Felix with my new Dynavector P75mkII phono preamp is just killer.  No it doesn't get
rid of pops and clicks on old vinyl, but the dynamics are stunning and I can hear
deeper into the music. 

Well, I have more to add later but I think the Felix is a big step up from
my old Felicia balanced power conditioner.  The Felix is a helluva a lot lighter
and takes up less space too :thumb:

NB   

Gordy

« Reply #216 on: 5 Jun 2008, 02:28 am »
  But what value are those caps? Anything specific on these caps?

Talking about Felix.... I just built one last night :wink:

Take care,

:oops:  I posted that schematic without looking at it, thought the values were on it.  3.3KuF/35v's work just dandy.  I used Nichi HEM's because they were only a few dollars in lots of 10.  IIRC, the blocker ran about $8-9 total.

8)  What size did you build?  A whole system or single component size?

SET Man

« Reply #217 on: 5 Jun 2008, 03:51 am »
8)  What size did you build?  A whole system or single component size?

Hey!

Well, here is it! Tah da!!!!!!!

The box is 4"x4"x2 1/8" electrical box with cover for one duplex outlet and light switch. There is another cover with open for one duplex but it positioned in the middle and that won't give me room to work with  :icon_lol:

Here at the beginning. Parts layout and dry fitting. The IEC was pretty easy to install since there  is one 3/4" knock out hole on each sides of the box... not a perfect fit but a little help from Dremel it slide in fine. Than I drilled all the holes for the ICE screws, PCB stand off. :D

Using PCB board from Radio Shack and 14ga solid core wire I picked up from Home Depot the same time I picked up the box. Those holes are too small for the legs of the CMC so I did some drilling. The 14ga solid core were a pain to work with in small space. I think I will go for stranded next time.

Time to stuff it in the box. Yes, those 0.1 and 0.01 caps are the same size... at first I thought they shipped me all the same value but it that wasn't the case. Caps are Vishay. Not easy to route those solid core, took some careful doing so I won't break the solder. There are two stand offs under it, got this from Radio Shack.

Luckily everything fit! Well I actually picked up the box, cover, and PCB before the caps and CMC arrived. Good thing my measurements is correct  :icon_lol:

Testing for correct AC line wiring.... yes I did test the house's outlet before I plugged in the Felix than testing it. All good! I'm not very happy with that $2.90 outlet on it. I was going to get a orange hospital grade one but look like Home Depot no longer sell these.

Well, there ya go... my Felix. :D I used it last night and earlier today to feed my TV just to give it a few hours of running in.

I did put it in my system tonight and yes the sound is better but I will not say much about this right now. Is currently in feeding my TV again just to give it more time :D

Take care,
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2008, 07:16 am by SET Man »

BobM

« Reply #218 on: 5 Jun 2008, 10:27 am »
Good job Buddy. Once you pull it off of your TV burn in routine you may find that you will need it back there, so a second Felix may be in the works soon. I know I noticed a nice picture improvement on the TV.

Good luck,
Bob

kyrill

« Reply #219 on: 5 Jun 2008, 11:17 am »
i have the advantage of living in 230V country
so the Coilcraft P3717-A with its relative hight 25mH and 3A max
gives me 500-600 watts max.
So i use one for my HD-1 projector ( 350 watt)
and wow what a difference it gives. Without the Felix
i could see 30 cm from or closer to the screen ( 2.70 mtr x 1.46mtr) some nervousness
within the pixels.( pixels were not moving at all) . With the Felix, colours were deeper, black blacker and
rock solid pixels. I was amazed. The picture looked in close up like a paper poster..
So the Felix will stay. I also use one for the Blu-ray player and one for the TV digital box.. Also one for the TV downstairs.
One for the preamp, one for the SB3 one for the tuner etc, all my stereo components have their own dedicated Felix
So thx, Paul, Gary, Brad, Josh and all those others. I tried one on my toaster, but could not taste any difference, so i stopped using that one. :thumb: