Felix project

Maxdd_nj

Re: Felix project
« Reply #140 on: 8 Mar 2008, 02:46 pm »
Saw these advertised in the last AudioXpress:
http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/products/ae-1a.htm
If you get one let us know what you think.

nature boy

« Reply #141 on: 8 Mar 2008, 04:16 pm »
Max,

It looks like Wolgram Engineered Plastics makes the MC series metal cabinets in a variety of sizes.  This may be an option:

Link: http://www.wolgrammfg.com/products/mcSeries.html

NB

Gordy

« Reply #142 on: 8 Mar 2008, 04:30 pm »
Par-metal makes some decent enclosures as well... http://www.par-metal.com/

F-100

« Reply #143 on: 8 Mar 2008, 04:41 pm »
Cheaper on Ebay.
Aluminum Project Box

markC

« Reply #144 on: 8 Mar 2008, 04:48 pm »
Try these guys. Lots of different styles & sizes to choose from.
http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=6

Gordy

« Reply #145 on: 8 Mar 2008, 06:59 pm »
Thanks Mark,  I've used the Heeger extruded alum. enclosures for PS's and Felix's when looks matter, they're very nice but, don't have them large enough for an all-in-one chassis.  I forget they have other type boxes as well  :duh: 

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #146 on: 8 Mar 2008, 07:55 pm »
Well i just placed two felix's on my  dedicated lines  :thumb: now Now i need to build three more one for each of my mono amps and cdp and i guess i should actually build 4 so i do my pre too :duh: They took some crud off the bottom

ED

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #147 on: 8 Mar 2008, 07:59 pm »
Id like to do the 4 felixs i want to build cdp pre and monos all in one box and the outlets mounted in the box so i can use my power cords that i have and just run the dedicated lines into the box hardwired

ED

Thanks Mark,  I've used the Heeger extruded alum. enclosures for PS's and Felix's when looks matter, they're very nice but, don't have them large enough for an all-in-one chassis.  I forget they have other type boxes as well  :duh: 

nature boy

« Reply #148 on: 9 Mar 2008, 01:15 am »
Thanks Guys!

I think I'm going to get a couple LMG Heeber jiffy box chassis's. Model# J884 10" x 6" x 3.5" in black.  These should accomodate 4 Felix boards, caps and CMC's with a little room to spare.  The chassis dimensions will allow me to accomodate two AC receptacles on the outside.

Thanks for the tip markC.

NB

JDUBS

« Reply #149 on: 9 Mar 2008, 01:22 am »
Guys

I e-mailed Par-Metal about doing something like this a little while back.  They recommended enclosure #20-08124x and would punch the holes for 4 duplex outlets with accompanying screw holes and an IEC hole.  Price was $100 for the first one and $50 for each additional one.

Not sure if these prices are still good.

-Jim

BradJudy

« Reply #150 on: 9 Mar 2008, 02:14 am »
I e-mailed Par-Metal about doing something like this a little while back.  They recommended enclosure #20-08124x and would punch the holes for 4 duplex outlets with accompanying screw holes and an IEC hole.  Price was $100 for the first one and $50 for each additional one.

Not sure if these prices are still good.

That would be very cool to get enclosures with outlet holes pre-punched.  If it could fit four duplexes and four Felix boards, I would probably buy two of them. 

nature boy

« Reply #151 on: 9 Mar 2008, 02:30 am »
They recommended enclosure #20-08124x and would punch the holes for 4 duplex outlets with accompanying screw holes and an IEC hole.

Jim,

Do you know the dimensions on this Par-Metal enclosure?  I don't see this one listed on their website.

NB

JDUBS

« Reply #152 on: 9 Mar 2008, 02:58 am »
They recommended enclosure #20-08124x and would punch the holes for 4 duplex outlets with accompanying screw holes and an IEC hole.

Jim,

Do you know the dimensions on this Par-Metal enclosure?  I don't see this one listed on their website.

NB

NB, I'm not sure.  I sent him the instructions from the Hagerman for their conditioner:

http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/conditioner.pdf

Looking at the Par-Metal site I don't see that model either.  Maybe we should figure out what enclosure makes sense and I'll send an e-mail to the Par-Metal guys again for pricing.

I'm thinking of the IEC on the opposite side of the outlets.  We could also add a cutout for the mounting of a circuit breaker (ala Audience Adept).

What about this model:

20-16124A  (16W x 12D x 4H)

Given that the Felix boards are 2" this would allow space in between the boards as well as the walls of the enclosure.  The next size provides another 4" of depth which might make wiring a little easier / neater.

-Jim

Gordy

« Reply #153 on: 9 Mar 2008, 03:29 am »
Jim,

"I'm thinking of the IEC on the opposite side of the outlets."  You're referring to both being on the back panel I presume?

If you go with a 20-12083 I'm very interested in at least one, should a GB turn up  8)

JDUBS

« Reply #154 on: 9 Mar 2008, 03:55 am »
Jim,

"I'm thinking of the IEC on the opposite side of the outlets."  You're referring to both being on the back panel I presume?

If you go with a 20-12083 I'm very interested in at least one, should a GB turn up  8)

Gordy, I was thinking of having the outlets on one side of the enclosure (call it the front) and the IEC on the other side (call it the back).  But, maybe its best to have the IEC in-between the 4 duplex outlets (on the back) wired to a breaker on the opposite side (the front).  From the breaker you go to each of the 4 Felix boards and then to the outlets.  I guess with 4 Felix boards you really only need a pair of duplex outlets.  One Felix to each of the outlets (bus bar between the outlets would need to be removed).

-Jim

Gordy

« Reply #155 on: 9 Mar 2008, 04:07 am »
That's more to my thinking, have all the cords to the rear and a clean fascia!  I tend to have my power cord(s) on the far right but, that's just me...  :thumb:

edit: Yes, don't forget to remove the buss bar, done that  :oops:

tanchiro58

« Reply #156 on: 9 Mar 2008, 05:24 am »
That's more to my thinking, have all the cords to the rear and a clean fascia!  I tend to have my power cord(s) on the far right but, that's just me...  :thumb:

edit: Yes, don't forget to remove the buss bar, done that  :oops:

Gordy,

I would build each Felix for each component by using these male IECs to replace my power cords that will be sold.

Tan

TomW16

« Reply #157 on: 9 Mar 2008, 05:43 am »
I'm not an electrical engineer but DIY whenever I can and feel comfortable with this Felix project and will be ordering a number of Felixs for the group buy.  Thanks Brad!   :thumb:

Just one question; what is the advantage (if any) of having individual boards rather than a single board feeding multiple units.

For example, why could I not simply build a single enclosure with a single 3 Amp Felix board with 4 outlets to feed power to the transport, DAC, tuner and preamp if they all use less than 0.5 amp each?

Thanks.

Tom

kyrill

« Reply #158 on: 9 Mar 2008, 11:00 am »
that seems a good idea to me TOm, but you will miss the advantage that Felix works two way

it also in a way filters the unit connected to it, for the rest of yr system. Especially with digital this may be beneficial
you will miss this extra filtering  when you connect different apparatus to one Felix.In this last case the units will "feed" each other  a bit depending on the quality of their pws.
also different felixes will add their "primary" capacitors to the overall ac source if i am not mistaken

Gordy

« Reply #159 on: 9 Mar 2008, 12:21 pm »
Hi Tan,

That's exactly how I've done it in the past, like Occam's original Felix, if they weren't installed inside a component.  Just be sure to leave a long enough cord between Felix and IEC so that the IEC doesn't have to support the weight of the Felix.

Tom,

The components most needing isolation / a dedicated Felix would be dac's, dvdp's, cdp's, computers /laptops, basically anything digital or with a switching mode power supply.  Other components like tuners, pre's, phono pre's and TT's could most certainly share a Felix if you like!  A Miller 1820 17a cmc could handle your whole system and then just add some 1-3a Felix's for "problem" components.