Felix project

serengetiplains

Re: Felix project
« Reply #400 on: 31 Jan 2012, 04:11 am »
On the issue of capacitors to try with the Felix, and depending on your voltage and capacity requirements, Russian polystyrenes seem to be very good capacitors.  I have some on hand, and on DF they consistently measure better than the best teflons out there, this on a 6 decimal place DF measurement and on which the R-styrenes are almost off the scale.  I've yet to actually hear one of these capacitors, but being film/foil polystyrene encased in a hard, epoxy-filled box, they probably nearly compete with teflons (just can't get around that DA factor).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-1uF-250V-Hi-tol-POLYSTYRENE-CAPACITORS-50pcs-/200705828610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebaffe702

The above is just an example of the capacitors I'm speaking of.  Search "polystyrene capacitor" on eBay and you will see many different values offered at different quantities.

wushuliu

« Reply #401 on: 31 Jan 2012, 07:45 am »
I don't see any rating for AC voltage.

Occam

« Reply #402 on: 31 Jan 2012, 03:39 pm »
Serengeti,

C'mon, you're too knowledgeable to be making such suggestions.
I'm anxiously awaiting your report of exactly how those film and foil caps blow up when subjected to the vicissitudes of AC mains. I've never run across an X2 rated foil cap, but will confess to having tried polyprop 600vdc film n' foil caps. They blowed up real good.... Foil caps are not self healing.
For those who believe the quality of the cap used in an 'X' function matter (as I do), I believe those Roosh'n caps will sound great, leastwise until they blow....

Rdsu,

Those paper impregnated X2 caps will work quite well.
As to a Felix benefiting a power amp in 230vac countries, all I can say is that the current draws will be half of that as in 120vac main countries, a very good thing.

Regards,
Paul

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #403 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:47 pm »
The capacitors in the E-bay link above (post #400) don't look (or spec) like any "polystyrene capacitor" that I am familiar with.
In any case a "polystyrene capacitor" is not something that you would use in any AC power line circuit.

rdsu

« Reply #404 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:58 am »
Josh,

Actually, I mispoke when I described the Felix topology described above as equivalent as an Audience Adept.
The Adept from the 6moons review -

Upon further reflection, I understand why the Adepts is -
Mains--->Breakers---->X cap + 2 Y caps----> multiple paralell CMCs terminated with Xcap to each outlet.
The potential problem with a single CMC before the paralleled (CMCs + xxx + outlet) is that that single CMC would have to pass the total of all the currents whereas those paralleled CMCs only pass the current associated with its individual outlet. The same caveat would apply to a CMC that feeds the unit or a balancing transformer. I'm not saying its impractical, just that its easier to source a CMC that won't saturate when feeding the lesser draw of an individual component. And yes, CMCs theoretically just overheat and don't saturate, but in reality they do....
The benefit of CMCs with associated caps for each outlet is that in addition to minimizing the potential problems of saturation, they also provide isolation between components.

Personally, I don't like Y caps in non balanced environments, but Audience does, and who am I to argue?
Occam,

do you know what cap is the bigger one in the middle, connected between the line and neutral?
And what's for?

Thanks

serengetiplains

« Reply #405 on: 1 Feb 2012, 07:49 pm »
Paul, my suggestion was for use in a lower voltage application, as in the output of a power transformer.

rdsu

« Reply #406 on: 1 Feb 2012, 08:29 pm »
Instead of using fuses and varistors, what do you think of using one Magnetic Hydraulic Circuit Breaker(Interrupt Capacity 5,000 A @ 277 VAC, 15A, 1 pole, DCR < 0,01 Ohm) (Carling Tech or Potter & Brumfield), and two Y2 caps between hot/neutral and ground, like we have in Audience?

I'm in a 230V/50Hz country, and want to build 6 Felix's in a case.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #407 on: 1 Feb 2012, 08:50 pm »
The circuit breaker will replace a fuse and a power switch, but not the varistors.

rdsu

« Reply #408 on: 2 Feb 2012, 12:47 am »
The circuit breaker will replace a fuse and a power switch, but not the varistors.
Do you recommend some varistor that doesn't affect the audio?

What about these Littelfuse V275LA40AP or TMOV20RP275E?

Put 3 in each Felix, on 3 next to AC input?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #409 on: 2 Feb 2012, 12:58 am »
If the varistor affects the audio, you connected it in the wrong place!
This thread is about the AC power supply.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #410 on: 2 Feb 2012, 01:18 am »
Thinking about it some more, Bill Whitlock makes the good argument, that MOV's should not be connected from the Hot to Safety Ground (PE,EGC) or from the Neutral to Safety Ground (PE,EGC) anyplace other than at main breaker box.

rdsu

« Reply #411 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:34 pm »
Thinking about it some more, Bill Whitlock makes the good argument, that MOV's should not be connected from the Hot to Safety Ground (PE,EGC) or from the Neutral to Safety Ground (PE,EGC) anyplace other than at main breaker box.
Thanks for the tip ;)

Syrah

« Reply #412 on: 3 Feb 2012, 02:06 pm »

serengetiplains

« Reply #413 on: 4 Feb 2012, 12:04 am »
Check it out.  Russian potted polystryrenes for 40¢ a pop.  Off the scale.  That's a difficult scale to beat.

rdsu

« Reply #414 on: 4 Feb 2012, 01:51 pm »
After read the Felicia Balancing PowerConditioner Constructor's Thread and My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc, I was interested in Jantzen capacitors to use them in Felix, because they seems to be very good for its price and neutral.

As I already mention, I'm thinking in a 6 Felix's, in a case, using a Magnetic Hydraulic Circuit Breaker(Interrupt Capacity 5,000A @ 277VAC, 15A, 1 pole, DCR < 0,01 Ohm) (Carling Tech or Potter & Brumfield) after the IEC, and then two Y2 caps between line/neutral and ground. I'm in a 230V/50Hz country.

This will be connected to 3 copper busbars (line, neutral and ground).
Then this is the configuration for sources and amplifiers:

Sources: TMOV, C1, C2, C3 -- CDMC -- C4, C5
Amplifiers: TMOV, C1, C2, C3 -- CMC -- C4, C5, C6
TMOV - 250VAC 170J - Littelfuse TMOV20RP250E Thermally Protected Varistor (like Shunyata Hydra have)
C1, C2, C3 - 0.47uF, 0.15uF, 0.047uF X2 275VAC Impreg. paper - Evox Rifa PME271M (like ISOL-8 and IsoTek have)
CDMC - 25mH, 3A - Coilcraft P3717-AL
CMC - 7.3mH 9.3A, 2,4mH 17A - J.W. Miller 8118, 8120 (8120 is to use if 8118 reduce the dynamics)
C4 - 0.047uF X1 760VAC Polypropylene - Evox Rifa PHE845  (like ISOL-8 SubStation have)
C5 - 0.1uF 600VAC - Jantzen Superior Z-cap (I also use these on amplifiers model because my integrated amplifier also have the DAC, so...)
C6 - 0.47uF 425VAC - Jantzen Superior Z-cap

What do you think of using Evox Rifa X2 paper before CMC and Evox Rifa X1 after? Do you prefer Vishay/Roederstein F1778 X2 or other to complement Jantzen?
Adding the Jantzen will be secure, under these specs, and the improvement will be worthwhile?

Thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #415 on: 4 Feb 2012, 01:52 pm »
You want to use X rated caps only though.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #416 on: 4 Feb 2012, 03:29 pm »
Any thoughts on this?
http://arraysolutions.com/Products/nqnaclinefilter.htm
Three thoughts:
1] It looks like 10 pounds of filter in a 5 pound box.
2] It's only good for 7 Amps.
3] A cheater plug!

Jim Brown has several papers on this type of filter.

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

rdsu

« Reply #417 on: 7 Feb 2012, 09:51 pm »
About cascading Felix's, what do you think about using one CMC 5A before 4 Felix's of 3A for sources, like this:

-- C1,C2,C3 --CMC2-- C4,C5,C6
CMC1   -- C1,C2,C3 --CMC2-- C4,C5,C6

CMC1 - Coilcraft Q4007-AL 5A
CMC2 - Coilcraft P3717-AL 3A

I only use 1,5A on sources, so will be more that sufficient...

Did you also tried Earth Line Chokes on Felix to avoid ground wire loops, like in ISOL-8 Substation?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #418 on: 7 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm »
Did you also tried Earth Line Chokes on Felix to avoid ground wire loops, like in ISOL-8 Substation?
They would make the loop larger!

rdsu

« Reply #419 on: 7 Feb 2012, 11:36 pm »
They would make the loop larger!
Can you elaborate?