Dan's SoundScape 8's in Candy Apple Burgundy

jsalk

Dan's SoundScape 8's in Candy Apple Burgundy
« on: 17 Mar 2014, 06:13 pm »
Dan wanted an automotive finish and was looking for something unique.  A friend suggested candy apple burgundy.  I had not heard of this, but found a candy finish that looked quite close to burgundy.  It was called Hellfire.

The paint was not inexpensive - $710 for the two color coats, clear coat, hardener and reducer.

I tried to shoot photos that would really show off the finish, but was unable to capture the effect.  If you look at the speakers, they are a darker burgundy color.  But if there is light behind you, they are a bright red metallic.  As you move around in the light, they change color.  It is a very cool effect.

Looking at the pictures, you might notice that the highlights from the flash are very bright red in comparison to the rest of the speaker.  That is the effect I'm talking about.

Here are some pictures.

And a close-up...

Happy listening Dan!

- Jim

JonnyFive

Re: Dan's SoundScape 8's in Candy Apple Burgundy
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2014, 07:17 pm »
Neat finish! :)

glangford

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2014, 01:53 am »
awesome!!!

OgOgilby

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2014, 03:09 am »
Wow!  :thumb:

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2014, 04:20 am »
I love red. Awesome!!!!

benguin

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm »
Beautiful classic hot rod color- and looks great on the speakers.

Jim- what did you use for the undercoat on these?  Silver metallic?   On cars, I've seen pearl finishes that would work beautifully for speakers too- once had a dark blue/black pearl that was fantastic.

Dan- thanks for continuing the creative trend on finishes!  I know you'll love them in person even more.
  Ben

dcurtis53

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2014, 02:44 pm »
I am very happy with the way these turned out. Jim and his crew do exceptional work! Now to get to listen to them, I can hardly wait.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2014, 05:32 pm »
Jim- what did you use for the undercoat on these?  Silver metallic?   On cars, I've seen pearl finishes that would work beautifully for speakers too- once had a dark blue/black pearl that was fantastic.

The paint was from the PPG Liquid Crystal Vibrance collection.  The undercoat was a kind of red/orange color with gold metallic content. The top color coat was a transparent burgundy color.

A number of years ago, I purchased a small container of pearl.  I needed some to do a black pearl finish.  A little pearl goes a long way.  That little container has enough pearl to last as long as I live.

- Jim

SCompRacer

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2014, 05:52 pm »
Wow! High marks on that finish job!

dcurtis53

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:34 am »
I received my new speakers and Jim was correct in saying the pictures could not capture their beauty. What a wonderful finish that he and his crew put on! These are the most beautiful speakers I've seen or owned and that includes my Sonus Faber Cremona's and the really nice pair of HT2TL speakers I owned in Mexican Cocobolo. Not to forget their incredibly good sound, once again the best I've owned over a stretch of 40 some years. The Harbeth 30.1 monitors which I sold to buy these, are close in the midrange but that's where the comparison ends.The S8's are so much more than great midrange speakers, they are truly excellent in every area. Thanks again  Jim for building such a wonderful line of speakers and for your honesty and integrity and patience. Couldn't be happier!!!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:36 am »
I received my new speakers and Jim was correct in saying the pictures could not capture their beauty. What a wonderful finish that he and his crew put on! These are the most beautiful speakers I've seen or owned and that includes my Sonus Faber Cremona's and the really nice pair of HT2TL speakers I owned in Mexican Cocobolo. Not to forget their incredibly good sound, once again the best I've owned over a stretch of 40 some years. The Harbeth 30.1 monitors which I sold to buy these, are close in the midrange but that's where the comparison ends.The S8's are so much more than great midrange speakers, they are truly excellent in every area. Thanks again  Jim for building such a wonderful line of speakers and for your honesty and integrity and patience. Couldn't be happier!!!

Congratulations, Dan!

This is the first time I've read about a comparison between SS8s and Harbeth speakers. I've searched far and wide, but yours is the first for me. I hope Jim has a pair of SS8s (or 10s/12s even) in Chicago in April so I may finally hear a pair of them. Thanks for mentioning the Harbeths....it helps me a lot.

Michael

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2014, 11:50 am »
Congratulations, Dan!

This is the first time I've read about a comparison between SS8s and Harbeth speakers. I've searched far and wide, but yours is the first for me. I hope Jim has a pair of SS8s (or 10s/12s even) in Chicago in April so I may finally hear a pair of them. Thanks for mentioning the Harbeths....it helps me a lot.

Michael

Well I'm 2.5 hours from the show in case he doesn't have room to bring 8's, maybe we can shoot back to the house for a listen.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2014, 06:56 pm »
Well I'm 2.5 hours from the show in case he doesn't have room to bring 8's, maybe we can shoot back to the house for a listen.

Email sent.

GlennDog

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2018, 12:27 am »

Old threads Never die . . .

I still long for that HellFire color. I had SongTower QWT in Hell Fire for a short while . . .

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=131244.0

I now have HT2-TLs and I could possible be persuaded to have them re-done in HF. Although, if you're thinking of selling yours. I could Make Them Work in my smallish listening room.

A local Rhumba pre amp recently came up for sale that I couldn't pass up. It "somewhat, looks like" it would cosmetically match the HellFire.
The Rhumba pre sounds Good, too. Very good

The pre in question is the Rhumba 1.2 from Backert Labs. NO AFIL
Bob Backert has a lifetime of audiophile building experience. If your are even just a little piqued, consider this review

http://backertlabs.com/press-room/

or the higher model Rhumba Extreme

http://backertlabs.com/new/

All the same chassis, AFAIK . . . so pick your poison and GO RED

Here it is the red chassis