What Explains This $10K TX 102 Passive?

kristian85

« on: 26 Sep 2003, 06:03 pm »
Just curious--why $10K for this...??? http://www.avtac.com/Products.htm

tom1356

« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2003, 07:04 pm »
All TX-102's pre's are worth 10k. You just don't have to pay it in most cases.

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2003, 07:32 pm »
Maybe 10K because it looks really cool

I am happy with my way cheaper version in its wooden box.

Randy

chefurka

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2003, 06:47 pm »
Why $10K?  Nixie tubes, "hermetically sealed reed relays", a cool case, and a large dose of big-man-on-the-block-itis.

Buy from John - same sound, less ego...

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2003, 09:14 pm »
Hello!

I kinda have a rule about never commenting on other folks stuff but I break it all the time if I have something good to say......

I know the fellow who makes this unit and he is a good guy - not evil at all! If you put a standard kinda margin in the parts costs and then sell through distribution and then retail it does become like a $10K box. Going this route he'll reach lots of folks that will never stumble across my stuff on the web.

Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

chefurka

Sorry, John
« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2003, 11:50 am »
It's too easy to take cheap shots at price in this hobby.  The standard markup in my previous industry (telecom electronics) is 5 or 6 times the parts cost.  It's certainly not hard to see how a unit like that could accumulate $1500 in parts costs.  It's also aimed unabashedly at the luxo segment of the market, and its internal design is apparently much more complex than a NOH.  There are people who need more switching flexibility and wouldn't consider a $1500 TVC.  They need transformers too, and this will give it to them.

For us hair-shirt, less-is-more types,  the price difference will buy a whole bunch of new music.