Otis

« on: 15 Jan 2010, 08:46 am »
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2011, 07:10 pm by Otis »

martyo

Re: Requested changes/features for the next gen preamps
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2010, 09:37 am »
So the sound is okay? :)

#3. I'm okay balancing on the high spot, now I want that area between the high spot and the click. LOL
I think one can get around that with a remote, but I don't have one so I'm not sure.

modular747

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2010, 10:10 am »
The volume pot used with the remote has no detents.

What "amber" LED?  All AVA preamps have a red LED power switch.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:45 pm »
The lighted switch is not an LED. It is a 120 volt neon lamp. If there were to be a LED "on" indicator, it would have to have a new voltage source from the power supply (like 2 volts), a hole and keeper for installation, all just to be a different "color". Extra cost, zero benefit. This is what the modern manufacturing world cost "no value added" mod.

In regards to the detents, I just had a minor episode with the balance control on my older EC Insight+ preamp, that it was leaning to the left. With the detent, knob positioning is much easier as on the newer EC. I have no issues with the volume control.

The Champagne faceplate would be no problem, except that it would double the inventory and increase cost (because of the inventory).

For the iPod connection:

Wayner

smargo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2010, 01:52 pm »

The Champagne faceplate would be no problem, except that it would double the inventory and increase cost (because of the inventory).

Wayner

Thats the whole point - it should increase the cost - the new vision dac could benefit from it as well - how much more would it add to the cost?  I would absolutely pay for the champagne faceplate - and my wife would love it!

jrtrent

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2010, 01:56 pm »
3. A detent-less volume control. It would be nice never to have to try balancing the knob on a high spot again.

People like different things, I suppose.  I love the detent-ful volume and balance controls.  They make it so easy to get repeatable settings--living in an apartment, I have different volume needs at different times of the day; I just count the clicks to get the volume I know I want in a simple, reliable, precise way.  At the urging of a kind, local audio dealer, I auditioned some tube electronics in my home recently, and one of the irritations was the lack of click-stops in the volume control. 

Not only did the tube gear not sound as good as my OmegaStar preamp/Insight power amp combination, but I realized the lack of features would drive me crazy (no balance control on one; no means to select left, right, or mixed mono, if there was a mono switch at all; very limited input options, no tone controls, no external processor loop, etc.).  I'm very happy to have a full-featured preamplifier with great sound!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:08 pm »
As someone who made his own aluminum subs as seen here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68426.0 I completeley understand why you want it.  I also understand what Frank and AVA is doing.  Obviously giving you great sound for a modest price and keeping what counts (in the box) to the highest standards.  Is it that much to design / make then produce faceplates?  No, not all.  BUT for a company the size of AVA's, it will raise the price enough that it gets passed on.  Some will like it, some won't.  That's another issue....can't have faceplates sitting around.

Not speaking for Frank...just understand both sides

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:42 pm »
Instead of "Special" for an input, how about "PHONO!!!!" in BIG letters with 4 exclamation points after it.

Paul

coke

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:44 pm »
The lighted switch is not an LED. It is a 120 volt neon lamp. If there were to be a LED "on" indicator, it would have to have a new voltage source from the power supply (like 2 volts), a hole and keeper for installation, all just to be a different "color". Extra cost, zero benefit. This is what the modern manufacturing world cost "no value added" mod.

I'd prefer no indicator light, especially on tube equipment which lights up on its own.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:53 pm »

Anyway, here's what I'd like to see, in order of importance,

1. A front panel i-pod/sound card input. This is the big one. Sources are mostly digital and portable now, so a front panel input jack would be a great convenience.

I picked up the Wadia 170i iPod interface last year, and it's pretty nice.  As far as I know, it is the only device licensed to pick the data stream off the iPod dock connector so that you can use an external DAC such as our new Vision DAC.  All the other dock devices I have seen and used take the analog signal from the dock, and while it will works, the sound is not as good.  The Wadia also grabs the analog signal from the dock, so if you don't yet have a DAC you can still use an iPod as a music server.

Note:  I saw this week that Wadia is introducing the 171i that has a better remote and heavier power supply.

Larry

martyo

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:09 pm »
Instead of "Special" for an input, how about "PHONO!!!!" in BIG letters with 4 exclamation points after it.
You must have a phono. :lol:

I don't and other than the guys I kinda "know" here in the AVA circle, I don't know anyone that does vinyl. I'd guess, even within the AVA family, and as good as it is, they sell more preamps w/o the phono option. Or I'm wrong. :lol: 8)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:11 pm »
You must have a phono. :lol:

I don't and other than the guys I kinda "know" here in the AVA circle, I don't know anyone that does vinyl. I'd guess, even within the AVA family, and as good as it is, they sell more preamps w/o the phono option. Or I'm wrong. :lol: 8)

Both of my AVA preamps have phono, and I only own one turntable.

rlee8394

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:16 pm »
The detent feature on the Noble controls can be removed at build time if the customer wishes. Just ask.

Ron

martyo

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:27 pm »
Both of my AVA preamps have phono, and I only own one turntable.

Henry, you'd be one of the AVA circle I kind of "know" folks, and Wayne, and DQ10 guy :) (orthobiz).......

I have a turntable BTW and still have the first cartridge I ever bought, a Grace. 8)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2010, 04:57 pm »
I like the red/amber light. :D In fact if it was going to be changed I'd prefer an amber light. The amber is nice because it's a soothing color and it matches the glow from my tube amps.

I can't tolerate the bright blue pilot lights that seem to be favored by low end Chinese manufacturers.

-Roy

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2010, 05:51 pm »

Paul

Of course, the volume knob has to go up to 11 - for that extra bit of power!

martyo

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2010, 05:57 pm »
Of course, the volume knob has to go up to 11 - for that extra bit of power!

That's the one we need! :lol: 8)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2010, 06:22 pm »
How about a home theater bypass switch?

-Roy

modular747

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2010, 06:27 pm »
How about a home theater bypass switch?

That's what the EPL switch is for in the EC chassis preamps.

smargo

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2010, 07:15 pm »
I picked up the Wadia 170i iPod interface last year, and it's pretty nice.  As far as I know, it is the only device licensed to pick the data stream off the iPod dock connector so that you can use an external DAC such as our new Vision DAC.  All the other dock devices I have seen and used take the analog signal from the dock, and while it will works, the sound is not as good.  The Wadia also grabs the analog signal from the dock, so if you don't yet have a DAC you can still use an iPod as a music server.

That is exactly what im doing with the wadia and the vision dac - the ipod sounds wonderful and unmessy -  with the bryston - it sounds immaculate.

regards