Re: Is FM bound for the graveyard?
« Reply #140 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:54 pm »

f off you indigent bottom feeding ahole

Wow, he's got you pegged. hehe

Yust kidding.  :lol:

turkey

« Reply #141 on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:00 pm »

i think you need to make an offer w/query to test it - let's give this guy what he deserves.   

I wouldn't bother. The way the ad is written I would expect nothing on this other than the front panel lights to work.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #142 on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:13 pm »

i think you need to make an offer w/query to test it - let's give this guy what he deserves.   

I wouldn't bother. The way the ad is written I would expect nothing on this other than the front panel lights to work.
exactly- so why not irritate the a**hole.   :green:

doug s.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #143 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:43 am »
Oh yeh! :inlove: :oops: I like the 101-R. I'm watching one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180427762363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT with no real info on condition it's hard to pull the trigger.
yust for grins, i offered the seller $10, w/the following comment:

"since you test many other items you sell, the statement that you are unable to test this indicates to me that this is good for parts only. so, $31 shipped seems a reasonable price. i'd consider offering more for a guaranteed working unit."

while i didn't expect the seller to accept my offer, i found his response to be wery rewealing:

"go away"

i would awoid this particular tuna (and seller?) like the plague.

doug s.
more fun from this ebayer.  i responded to him w/an offer of $5 and the following comment:

don't worry - i'll go away - i'm not interested in buying from sellers trying to hide stuff. but most ebayers also check out a seller's feedback, what else they are selling, etc, before making an offer. best of luck trying to rip off someone.

the response i got:

f off you indigent bottom feeding ahole

nice...  :roll:

doug s.

You are reading my mind with all this. The thing is pictured in a rack and he can't even switch an interconnect from his cd player to see if the thing buzzes when you move the dial. :nono: DANGER WILL ROBINSON I think there's something fishy around here and it's not tuna:lol:       
i think you need to make an offer w/query to test it - let's give this guy what he deserves.   :lol:

doug s.

Now "unit lights up and seems to work but I have no way of fully testing the item" which is a glimmer of hope. But using the picture as a guide to condition is a joke. :lol: that's not funny :nono: so I'll request better pix. Then decide on an offer aa  8)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #144 on: 1 Dec 2009, 12:53 pm »
Now "unit lights up and seems to work but I have no way of fully testing the item" which is a glimmer of hope. But using the picture as a guide to condition is a joke. :lol: that's not funny :nono: so I'll request better pix. Then decide on an offer aa  8)
someone on the yahoo fm tuna forum queried him and got a bit more info - it's missing at least one tube.  the seller is an a**.  i think you should make him an offer, but keep it <$10; otherwise you may get stuck w/it, haha!  these should go for ~$100, in known good operating condition.

doug s.

Brett Buck

« Reply #145 on: 2 Dec 2009, 04:45 am »
Pretty decent Ron.  Not anywhere as nice as my one off upgraded AVA Pat-5 but better than most stations put out.

I got mine this morning, and while it's probably worth the $80, I was pretty disappointed with the sound on mine. It could just be my particular unit, but on HD, you can hear the noise reduction "pumping", with the noise floor going up and down dramatically as the overall volume changes. I think it would be a lot better with a bit of hiss but always at the same level. For the few seconds is stays on FM, it seems to sound noticeably better - and WAY better than anything else I have tried as far as handling multipath. While my earlier experiments (in the other thread) got something acceptable, it wasn't entirely fixed. It's dramatic switching from the Sony to the FM-3 and back. Even with the almost certainly inferior output circuits on the Sony, the RF/Multiplex performance is so much better that overall it's more pleasant.

Has anyone figured out how to lock it into FM mode (no HD)?  I read the very sparse instructions and it didn't leap out at me how or if that could be done.

But even more dramatic is switching from either radio tuner to the same station with OTA digital TV. The station in question (KCSM in San Mateo, CA) broadcasts FM, HD Radio, and is a subchannel of their digital TV operation (channel 60.3 for those who are close and want to try it). The OTA digital TV sound is FAR FAR better - absurdly better to the point it's as good a source as any other I have. The reason this is so interesting to me is that this is about as good a test of the transmission medium as could be imagined - same analog feed from the studio, sent to three different transmission types. The front end of the operation must be excellent to brilliant because it sounds darn near perfect in the OTA TV feed, but it's very underwhelming over FM and just OK on HD radio. Now maybe the FM and HD aren't optimized (it sounds like may be over-modulating the FM signal, but without test equipment it's a little hard to tell) or maybe the Sony output circuits aren't very good, but it's not even in the same ballpark with the TV sound. Again, it may be a unique to my unit or the particular stations I am listening to, but quit a bit appears to be being lost using the Sony.

And for what it's worth, mine does not run inordinately hot - warm at most. Of course it's about 58 degrees in the house right now so who knows what it would do in the summer but I was expecting a lot worse.

The thing BEGS for someone who has the time to figure it out, how to break into the analog output as soon after the demuxing, and replace it with a nice 12ax7 or Op-amp output stage. It appears to have an outstanding RF front end, and improving the output should be pretty easy. If I can figure out where to cut the traces, I'll do it myself.

Brett

p.s. another note, and it probably doesn't really matter much to anyone, but the AM performance is absolutely dreadful - bordering on unusable. My GE Superradio III works much better, is much more selective, and sounds better (although awful) than the Sony on AM sounds through $7000 worth of the best audio equipment available. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #146 on: 2 Dec 2009, 12:40 pm »
brett, this is not the first time this info has been posted to this thread.  (or the second.)   :wink:  mods, including audio, forcing analog, and others...

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/xdr-f1hd.htm

http://www.radioxtuners.com/Sony%20XDR-F1HD.htm

doug s.

martyo

« Reply #147 on: 2 Dec 2009, 01:23 pm »
Hey Doug, you're becoming a regular here, I like it. Maybe we should have an ongoing tuna thread. Wink2
                                                       8)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #148 on: 2 Dec 2009, 01:38 pm »
Hey Doug, you're becoming a regular here, I like it. Maybe we should have an ongoing tuna thread. Wink2
                                                       8)
i had actually considered trying to start an fm circle here, but most folks think us tunaholics are luddites.   :lol:  and, besides, i think anyone really into broadcast audio should yust wander over to the yahoo tuna forum...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/

doug s.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #149 on: 2 Dec 2009, 03:26 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday P.M. I am thrilled to death with the performance of analog FM. Haven't tried AM and haven't been introduced to HD. I can now receive a station with utter clarity and quiet that was a maybe proposition with my Kenwood KT 917. Happy in Fruita.