High Quality Fuses

CErvin

High Quality Fuses
« on: 15 Jan 2008, 06:23 pm »
Jason or Casey - I've combed the archives but can't find the answer to this question...

I've got the Ref9v2's.  I want to try some high end fuses...  The IEC says: "T5A 250V" which I assume means:
"T" = slow blow
"5A" = 5 amp

Please confirm.  I'm not an electrical guy so sorry if this is a dopey question!   :duh: 

Chris

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: High Quality Fuses
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:46 am »
Yes.

CErvin

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2008, 02:00 am »
Perfect.  Thanks!

gman

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2008, 12:55 am »
Chris, please post your impressions of the your new fuses! What brand did you get? I've read good things about HiFi Tuning and Isoclean fuses. I'm tempted to put a set of Isocleans in my Ref 9 V2s to see if there's a difference.

timothyharnett

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2008, 09:42 am »
Chris, please post your impressions of the your new fuses! What brand did you get? I've read good things about HiFi Tuning and Isoclean fuses. I'm tempted to put a set of Isocleans in my Ref 9 V2s to see if there's a difference.

I tried about an half dozen of them in the plugs on my Ref9SE V2.  In the UK, we have fuses in the plugs as well as internally.  I haven't changed the internal fuses.

I got more resolution but it took the system brighter.  A bit like using silver mains cords but not as pronounced.

I take it that the size for the internal ones is 6.2mm 32mm? and that this T5a is also applicable for the 9SE V2?

CErvin

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:45 am »
gman - will do.  I've ordered HiFi Tuning Fuses and am awaiting the postman.  I'll just be replacing the "external" fuses - approx 3/4" x 3/16" - that reside in the IEC connector.  Hopefully I'll have something to report in the next week or so.  We'll see if my experience is similar or different than timothyharnett.

bluemike

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2008, 12:49 am »
I have swapped out fuses in the past
Yes the sound changes but sometimes it's not for the better ..

timothyharnett

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2008, 09:36 pm »
I have swapped out fuses in the past
Yes the sound changes but sometimes it's not for the better ..

I agree with that comment.

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2008, 09:20 pm »
A friend just gave me a couple of the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses for my 9SE V2’s. I was not expecting to hear much of a difference but I was in for a surprise. What I found is that the percussion end was clearer, clarity improved all over and the imaging has improved too. The system is painting a better sonic picture.
Now this is a cheap tweak. :thumb:

I will further experiment by getting fuses for my Spectral pre-amp and if that works as well as the ones in the Nu Force I think I will replace all my fuses in the Hi-Fi and at the plug end too.

Chris

oris98

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2008, 03:08 am »
I replaced the normal fuses in my EA Benchmark DAC1 with a pair of Isoclean fuses.. It is more analog like now..  Smoother high and decay more naturally.   Speed is fast with detail without feeling bright or harsh.  The funny thing was, I didn't know my DAC1 has 2 fuses (one per each channel).   I only bought one home and plan to give it a try.  Then I realized it takes 2 fuses..  So I ended up plug it in for my left channel anyway..  Wow I noticed my left channel has faster speed and more decay longer with natural tone compared to my right channel..  I was convinced and right away, called my dealer to ship the second one...   Isoclean is gold plated fuse with gold plated contact on each end..  I never try the the HIFI tuning fuse though..  I will try them on my new Spectron Musician 3SE amp pretty once I have break in process complete. !

kbuzz3

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2008, 03:39 am »
where can i buy a an iso clean fuse to try. the importer?

sac8d4

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2008, 05:12 pm »
buy direct from www.aaudio.com