Tennis/Oppo

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Tennis/Oppo
« on: 3 Jun 2019, 06:40 pm »
Hi,
      I was channel surfing a couple days ago and saw a tennis match with Serena Williams in it. There were 2 big signs around the court that said Oppo. I thought they went out of business. Are they back?....Mark Korda

Phil A

Re: Tennis/Oppo
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2019, 07:02 pm »
Oppo is big in China on smart phones.  They are no longer making their Blu-Ray players.  https://www.thedrum.com/news/2019/04/29/oppo-signs-up-first-asian-sponsor-wimbledon-championships

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2019, 12:57 am »
Thanks Phil......Mark.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2019, 09:01 pm »
There are/were two separate companies. I contacted Oppo about this a few years ago, and they basically told me that "Oppo" was a separate company from "Oppo Digital" (the one that stopped making bluray players). I think they were loosely related, or perhaps Oppo was the parent company, but the Oppo Digital rep said they were essentially functioning separately at the time.

EDIT: I found the response from Oppo Digital from a few years ago:OPPO is a brand in China that is separate from our own. When we were getting started, we needed a name and brand to work with. Branding is expensive and very time consuming. OPPO at the time was well respected in China, but was having difficulties getting international attention, so they were looking to expand their trademark. So we approached OPPO about licensing their brand for North America, and they accepted our offer.

So OPPO and OPPO Digital, Inc are like sister companies, neither owns the other, but we encourage each other to be the best since one brand's image affects the other.