Has anyone built just the OB sub section of the V2?

Trismos

Has anyone built just the OB sub section of the V2?
« on: 20 Nov 2011, 08:56 am »
And shouldn't this be the cat's behind?

Guy 13

Re: Has anyone built just the OB sub section of the V2?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2011, 12:52 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I have built a (Modified) V2 sub section.
(The drivers are not set at an angle, therfore, the enclosures are wider, larger.

You can see them in the back. (The red ones.)
The bass sound is very, very good.

Guy 13

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:16 pm »

I am running a single OB Eminence 15in right now in an H frame, a similar driver to Dannys. It sounds great, im sure 4 of them would sound really good.

What makes Danny units so intruiging is his new Sa-1 amp has a built in shelf tuned for OB. I think i would have much better results with his amp.

Maybe he could expound on amps benifits....

Trismos

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:13 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I have built a (Modified) V2 sub section.
(The drivers are not set at an angle, therfore, the enclosures are wider, larger.

You can see them in the back. (The red ones.)
The bass sound is very, very good.

Very nice Guy. I'd like to hear that set-up!

Trismos

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2011, 09:15 pm »
There's some interesting stuff regarding 8" servos in the New Info thread where I asked this; Would this not work:

Is the H or W type frame required for some reason?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2011, 09:29 pm »
I just have one 15 inch woofer in an h frame with the sa1 amp.  Sounds great to me...

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:35 pm »
There's some interesting stuff regarding 8" servos in the New Info thread where I asked this; Would this not work:

You need to separate the front wave from the back wave a little bit to get any output from it. So you either need a wide baffle or an H or W frame to create that separation. Enclosing the driver some with a H or W frame also loads the driver a little and helps with control and extension. It also helps keep a narrow profile for drivers above. Side panels also give you the support that you need to hold the baffle still.

In the panel that you drew it will have only slightly more output than holding the driver in your hand while playing.

mboxler

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2011, 04:43 pm »
I'm curious...if the OB sub section is crossed low enough, could only one of them be built to handle the low bass, then build two of the "top ends" to cover the stereo signals from there?  Would seem cheaper, and the OB sub section could be placed elsewhere in the listening room.  I'm sure this is a dumb question, but...

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2011, 04:45 pm »
I'm curious...if the OB sub section is crossed low enough, could only one of them be built to handle the low bass, then build two of the "top ends" to cover the stereo signals from there?  Would seem cheaper, and the OB sub section could be placed elsewhere in the listening room.  I'm sure this is a dumb question, but...

Mike

By one do you mean one pair of drivers?

mboxler

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2011, 04:58 pm »
By one do you mean one pair of drivers?

The one bass unit would contain two drivers (one of the red boxes pictured above).   Hope that is clearer.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2011, 08:49 pm »
The one bass unit would contain two drivers (one of the red boxes pictured above).   Hope that is clearer.

Mike

Well Mike,

It would easily keep up with a 93db sensitivity V-2 with some head room to spare. So it would keep up with a pair of 87db sensitivity mini-monitors just the same.

And it won't make much difference in how low you cross it. The output capability will be the same.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2011, 10:02 am »
Very nice Guy. I'd like to hear that set-up!
Hi Trismos and all Audio Circle members.
(How did you came up with a name like that ?
 Maybe Tristan Mosley ? ? ? )

If you want to listen tio my setup, it's very easy, you just have to buy an airplane ticket to Vietnam, because that's where my V-1 and V-2 are right now, however, if you want to save the cost of an airplane ticket, you can wait until next year, because next year, I will be back in my home country Canada (Montreal, Quebec more precislely.)
Have a nice day.
Guy 13.

Trismos

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2011, 04:57 pm »
Well Guy,

Relatively speaking, I'll be right next door (in Yellowknife). I'll drop by for a coffee!

Tris

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2011, 06:00 pm »
Another fellow Canuck.....nice.
Been to Yellowknife....nice city, I enjoyed it.

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2011, 01:50 am »
Well Guy,

Relatively speaking, I'll be right next door (in Yellowknife). I'll drop by for a coffee!

Tris
Hi Tris and all Audio Circle members.
You are more than welcome for a coffee, tea or even a beer at my place, but you will have to wait until I get settle and it might take some time, since I have to start from zero after 16 years in Vietnam.
Guy 13