GR Research O-3 pair for sale here....

blazin

GR Research O-3 pair for sale here....
« on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:48 am »
Hey guys I'm looking at going with the NEO3 kit once I sell these.I really love the characteristic sound of this tweeter/mid combo but due to the orientation of the upfiring drivers I am having trouble in my particular room.I am limited in the distance that I can pull these away from the side walls (12") and this definetly has a negative effect on the sound.I moved them around and got  them to a point where they were approx. 4' from any wall and man was the sound room filling.The sound stage is SOOOOOO layered and spacing is phenominal when the room's boundaries are pulled away.I have talked with Danny and we feel that the NEO3 will give me the sound I want with the room I have...

These are "Butcherblock" laminated BlackWalnut.The front is 1" thich walnut and the bases are 2.5" walnut.They have been hand oiled and look fantastic.These have the NO-RES inside...Looking to get $800 firm ...Located in S.Carolina, 29445.....Thanks

Pictures:
http://img212.imageshack.us/i/familyfishingday013mm1.jpg/

Danny Richie

Re: GR Research O-3 pair for sale here....
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2011, 05:17 am »
I can't recommend these highly enough. They are great speakers and this is a first class job on the build. Simply beautiful. And they are being given away.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:19 am »
 :D
Unique speaker  for sure and obviously one you love.
You have had them for sale a long time. Since they have not attracted a single buyer I would hold on to them if it were me. Just because they are difficult to place does not make them not a olid player.
Good stuff does not go bad!
All the best,
Tom

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:20 pm »
One good thing about these speakers is that they are light enough to move out into the room for serious listening then move back next to the wall once serious listening is over.

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:18 pm »
One good thing about these speakers is that they are light enough to move out into the room for serious listening then move back next to the wall once serious listening is over.

All you'd have to do is mark the floor where the speakers should be, then enjoy the day listening to them. 

WC

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2011, 04:07 am »

How far away from the wall should the O-3s be?

My great room is 20x30 and separated into two levels one of which is 30" above the other. How would it work pushed close to the short 30" wall? How much spacing does the rear bass ports require from the back wall?

emac

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2011, 04:39 am »
How far away from the wall should the O-3s be?

My great room is 20x30 and separated into two levels one of which is 30" above the other. How would it work pushed close to the short 30" wall? How much spacing does the rear bass ports require from the back wall?

Blazin's O-3's have the ports in the front, so there wouldn't be any issues.  And the height of the O-3's is supposed to be 36", which means that they should clear your short wall.  I don't think that there would be issues as long as they clear the wall, but Danny would be the best person to chime in. 

As for the optimal distance from the typical wall, I've found w/ the O-3's and the X-Omni's that 2 feet work for the most part, but you're safe when you reach 3 feet.

WC

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:57 pm »
Thanks emac! Danny may be the best one to answer.

What would the minimal distance from the wall for the rear ports to work properly? The original posters ports do face forward which from other posts I would guess that they wouldn't go as low as the rear ported speaker. I guess in my case it would be similar to most other front facing rear ported units like the N3. Most of the direct radiating of the woofers on the O-3 would be up above the wall height.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm »
Thanks emac! Danny may be the best one to answer.

What would the minimal distance from the wall for the rear ports to work properly? The original posters ports do face forward which from other posts I would guess that they wouldn't go as low as the rear ported speaker. I guess in my case it would be similar to most other front facing rear ported units like the N3. Most of the direct radiating of the woofers on the O-3 would be up above the wall height.

The port being on the rear really doesn't change anything with this speaker.

Typically a rear firing port allows for some flexibility as the output can vary with distance from the wall.

With this speaker being an omni design design it needs to be at least 3 feet or more out from the wall anyway so there really is no coupling effect.

So you don't really give up anything with the port in the front.

WC

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2011, 10:33 pm »
The port being on the rear really doesn't change anything with this speaker.

Typically a rear firing port allows for some flexibility as the output can vary with distance from the wall.

With this speaker being an omni design design it needs to be at least 3 feet or more out from the wall anyway so there really is no coupling effect.

So you don't really give up anything with the port in the front.

Do you still need to be 3 ft away even with a short wall of 30" high?

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2011, 10:47 pm »
A wall that short will have a minimal effect.