Seeking 2 Channel Near Field Recommendation

Inniswhe

Seeking 2 Channel Near Field Recommendation
« on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:03 am »
I have the GR Research A/V 3's and the A/V 3S that I built about 5 years ago in my home theater and really like them.

Now I am looking for some advice on a pair of speakers for 2 channel audio in a near field arrangement. These will be placed in my family room that is L shaped. The area that the speakers will be is about 13ft x 13ft but upens up into a 22 x 13 room. Distance to speakers will be about 8ft I guess. I listen through a squeezebox touch / DAC to a Onix Melody SP3 tube amp. I suspect I will go 2.1 as I need to get something my wife will accept visually. She hates pretty much all speakers in the room. I was going to go with some axiom in walls but last weekend I listened to some Focal 896V and 807V's and decided I need to have at least mini monitors.
I really like the focals and since life with 3 kids has gotten busy I was going to just buy the focal's but I can't help but wonder if some of Danny's mini monitor designs would be even bettering. I like DIY but ths time I might buy some pre made cabinets or even a complete pair of speakers from someone who builds Danny's designs.

Would the N series kits be the right speaker for me , if so any recommendations on model for this application ?  Are the N series better than the AV123 speakers that are on for good deals ?

Also considering I would like to get something as inconspicuos as possible, something that works closer to the walls would probably be best.

Would the N series be a step up from the focal 800 series that I listened to ?

I really appreciate any comments.