Review - XBox 360

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Review - XBox 360
« on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:18 am »
I finally got an XBox 360, about a year after they were released. Just like I did with the original XBox.

Why did I get one? I wanted better graphics, a better controller, better Live services, ability to play games designed for the 360, and I was curious.

These days I mostly play Halo, so not a lot of difference on the XBox 360. I am playing it in 720p now, but I will have to go back to the original XBox to compare to see the difference.

First, I have an HD TV, or at least it is " HD ready". It has component video inputs (2 sets). It also has a DVI input. This is the Sony KV-40XBR800, a hulking 40" CRT.

How does the XBox 360 output video to my TV? There are several options, and a frustration. First, let's get the frustration out of the way...there is no DVI or HDMI connection possible, and apparently there will never be one. Even the future HD-DVD drive will not have one, confirmed by a Microsoft VP.

There is HD output though, via component video cables (Y, Pb, Pr) that come in the box. This output is analog, yet it can be 1080i, 720p, or 480p. And it looks very nice. There is a HD movie that comes on the 360 hard disk. No, it is not a real movie but a Microsoft movie of the "making of the 360" sort, filmed in beautiful HD. So they show you what the thing can do at least.

Alternatives for video are composite, which comes in the box (same quality as your old VCR), or you can buy seperate cables for SVGA, or even VGA to a PC monitor (another HD option).

Audio output is analog via L and R RCA jacks (Red and White) or digital via optical. You will need to provide a TOS-link cable.

The controller is wireless! One comes in the box, and you can buy up to 3 more wireless or  wired controllers. No need for a charger probably, as you can get rechargeable AA batteries with their own recharger for little. But the controller doesn't use a lot of juice.

The controller now turns on and turns off the XBox 360. Nice! Also the headset comes in the box and attaches to the contoller on the front side. It seems to be designed and constucted better, so that you won't be as likely to break the earpeice/mic off of the headband.

The controller seems to be better than the S controllers. Still getting used to the new buttons on the front that replace the little black and white buttons. Having no wire tethering you to the XBox is very nice - you can get up and walk around, and get a drink without removing your headset or finding a place to set down the controller.

The dashboard has more features and is easier to navigate. It is said to be Tivo-like.

Also provided ia a nice Ethernet cable (25ft?) to help you connect to your router for XBox Live! This is how you play games with others over the internet.

If you already have XBox Live! on the original XBox (and remember it is ON the XBox, linked to the hardware, not just an account at "Live! headquarters"), you will have to migrate it to the XBox 360, or else create a new Live! account (complete with new creditcard charges). To migrate your Live! account, you will need to get the Live! account information from the original XBox. This means collect this information before you set up your new 360! I of course thought I could avoid this, but there I was reconnecting my old XBox via composite cable and swapping the ethernet cable back and forth between the two XBoxes. Why? My credit card number had changed, I forgot how I had entered my name, and also which phone number I had used. It all  has to match exactly!

You can of course get the Live experience in Live enabled games. Also you can download free movie trailers and game demos, Dashboard themes, gamer tag pictures, and additional game contnent. In addition there is the Arcade, a way to get free and inexpensive old-school arcade games. You can apparently compete and get ultra-involved in this arena as well.

The power supply is the biggest external power supply I have ever seen! Remember there is substantial power required for all the processing and graphics and thus heat generated when this thing runs. Better to have it outside the box. The power cord would make any fat power-cord lovin' audiophile proud - none of this skinny flimsy black wire for the 360. No ground wire though...

USB digital cameras, flash card readers, thumbdrives, or a music players are supposed to work with the 360. I have yet to try these out. Sounds nice though!

I have not seen much of true potential of the 360 . I have mostly played with backward compatible games (Halo 2, Halo) All new games for the 360 should take advantage of the HD features, and must be at least 720p. I did pick up Call of Duty 2, but haven't looked at it yet.

I am hoping there will be a way to get more hard drive space. A very easy way to store videos an play them if the MS movie is any indication.

Thats about it for now, more as I learn more about it.

Berndt

Re: Review - XBox 360
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:50 am »
Nice review, congratulations on your new baby. I am still coming to grips(sic) with mine after a week.
I've seen guys advertising hacks for the 360 on craigslist. After modding my old style xbox with a chip that prevented live usage I am a bit reticient. I am curious about the hack potential though. I do not have a HD ready tv yet, but I still find the graphics better with the 360 with the old games.
The wireless controllers are a revelation, personally.
I can't believe the freedom they afford, and the on off button with your controller is nice too.
I got used to pulling both triggers and hitting start to reboot the game with my mod chip, still overcoming that.
I also had the original controllers which were the big ones. I have large hands and would love to see a larger controller. the cheek buttons instead of the clear black buttons is a step back for me too.
I am too old to adjust to new configurations. Could I make my old controllers wireless?