Budget subs for bass augmentation

jk@home

Budget subs for bass augmentation
« on: 15 Aug 2009, 12:28 pm »
Just wanted to give a heads up on a great deal I found out about at my local Costco.

To update the project I've been working on, I finish my S.E.X. amp kit over the Memorial weekend holiday, to go with my Tektons FE167e monitors. Everything works great, pretty much broken in now. But the bass performance of the combo just wasn't there, which limiting my playback material.

My ultimate plan was to have the Bottlehead "SEXy" sat/sub speaker setup, but I first needed to finish a pair of 12" sealed subs I have been building. Plus using a stereo amp, DCX2496 crossover, Channel Island volume control, and lots of cabling, to get things together.

Anyway, a fellow over at AA posted that Costco had their Energy ESW 8" high gloss powered subs on sale for $129.00 each. What caught my eye was that their adjustable low pass filter goes up to 150Hz, which meant a stereo pair would be perfect for helping small monitors.

So I picked up a pair, hooked them up via speaker level input, right off the Tektons (This is what Bottlehead recommends). Very happy with the results, bass intergration is right on. And I haven't even tweaked in the settings yet, right now the LP is set for 60Hz. The setup can handle just about anything I throw at it now, even rock (at sane levels)

As per Bottlehead (and my own experimentation), I have the Tektons sitting right on top of the bass drivers for best integration and have ordered a pair of Auralex SubDudeHT bases, mainly to make the subs "vacuum cleaner attack proof". :green:

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/esw-8-overview/