External or internal DAC for computer audio?

Zerogravity

External or internal DAC for computer audio?
« on: 20 Feb 2011, 02:08 pm »
The general consensus is that and external DAC is preferred over and internal DAC? I would like to listen to my notebook computer (windows XP) music files through my main system and Marantz AVR. My notebook only has USB and Headphone outputs. When I listen via the headphone output connected to the Aux input of the AVR, not surprisingly the music sounds compressed. The DACs inside my AVR can output 24bit 192kHz resolution. I need a coaxial adapter such as the M2tech High Face in order to utilize the DACs in the AVR. My dilema is a few of the external DACs I was interested in such as the HRT Music Streamer II and NuForce Udac2 are less expensive then the High face. Although quality is very good with these DACs they will only convert up to 24bit 96kHz resolution. I know that most music isn't recorded in 24/192 and that if the majority of the lower resolution music sounds better, then I am happy with only being able to convert up to 24bit 96kHz resolution. What would be the better option as far as sound quality?

Zerogravity

Re: External or internal DAC for computer audio?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2011, 02:35 pm »
Never mind! I decided going with and external DAC will give me more options! I thought I could just "cheap out" as usual!