New Member - NAS vs External USB Drives

MusicJunkie

New Member - NAS vs External USB Drives
« on: 15 Sep 2023, 02:37 am »
Hi, I'm Joe from Kingston, Ontario. Would like to know advantages/disadvantages of using a NAS vs External USB drive(s) on a Digital Player. In my case Bryston's BDP-2.

I can't search posts (yet), so if you can point me to one, that would be great!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Member - NAS vs External USB Drives
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2023, 03:12 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2023, 02:04 pm »
Cheers & Welcome to AC Joe   :thumb:

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2023, 02:22 pm »
Welcome to the circle! USB drives are cheap and basically easy to use. NAS on the other hand can get rather expensive and require substantial computer knowledge & skills to set up and maintain. Perhaps that is why the Bluesound Vault enables the use of a USB drive to backup their (internal) 2Tb drive. They have done all the geeky stuff for you. Unless you intend to use a NAS for movies and TV, as well as audio files, such as with FLEX, I'd advise you to go USB - or else get a degree in C.S. and have an experienced friend to help you set it up and teach you the software. Good luck!

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2023, 02:41 pm »
Welcome!   I've been using an NAS (Synology) for about 7.5 years.  I have multiple systems and before that I used local drives (and since then I've used those for back-ups).  Much depends on where one is going to use an NAS (e.g. one system, multiple systems, video files, etc.) and also the hardware and software used to play your music files.  Bryston of course uses proprietary software (Manic Moose).  From my understanding, it allows one to share their media connected via a USB dreover the network in a similar fashion as an NAS.  So I'm not sure an NAS would be of more value to you.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2023, 02:47 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Joe!

There is no technical advantage to NAS over USB for music storage, imo. NAS has plenty of features and advantages in its own right, but as a music file server it is unnecessary if the player hardware has other storage options like USB or local HDD.

Some hardware music players like Aurender handle local music file metadata better than network files. Avoiding networking may have some sound quality benefits if you are an extreme audiophile.

USB is reliable enough if you get a good brand. You could backup your music library to NAS just in case the USB chokes.

Speed is not a concern. All USB is in the Gbps range, while ethernet tops out 1Gbps, but I doubt your NAS and router and player are all that fast. Good news is that even the oldest 10Mbps ethernet standard is more than enough for 192kHz 24bit PCM stream. DSD files are probably better stored locally.

All that said, it is certainly possible that your USB input sounds worse than your ethernet path for whatever reasons. So you have to try both and decide with your ears.

MusicJunkie

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2023, 12:39 am »
Thank You ALL for the warm welcome and our thoughts.

richidoo ... I had not considered the possible sound quality issue. I will try to test this out.

kd4ylq ... yes, NAS does require more knowledge that just plugging a USB drive. Luckily, I have had a NAS that I use as a backup, as well as my photo collection ... but not as input to a digital player (and I have been struggling to connect my NAS to my DP).

Phil A.  ... I do own a Synology DS918 NAS, and I am leaning in this direction as my music collection will top a 7TB (WAV format) when I'm done ripping. I have had a few issues using USB drives formatted as HFS+ with Bryston's BDP-2. Seems to be working OK currently with a 5TB WD Passport drive formatted as exFAT.

Again, thank-you all for making me feel welcome.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2023, 01:22 am »
This is the Discless Circle that you may like to visit:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=133.0
I would move this topic to the Discless Circle if you want?

MusicJunkie

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2023, 01:02 am »
FullRangeMan ... yes please move this topic!  In the meantime, I will visit the Discless Circle.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2023, 01:14 am »
FullRangeMan ... yes please move this topic!  In the meantime, I will visit the Discless Circle.
OK, I will move it.