Tour - LDR300.V25 Buffered Preamp | Part II

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Tour - LDR300.V25 Buffered (Active) Preamp
« Reply #80 on: 11 Dec 2018, 05:51 pm »
One thing I’m struggling with is more bass than I’d like.  FYI, I’m VERY picky about sound (bass being very critical), and what I had prior to installing the LDR300 was as close to perfect as I’ve ever had.  The bass still has decent definition, but sounds too heavy.

I followed up with Terry (TJHUB) on the bass sounding too heavy. Something about that didn't sound right to me (pun intended!!). After a brief phone chat it became clear that the unit had switched its impedance setting away from the default 75k for the LDR300 (it had reverted to 20k which is the normal default for our passive preamps). This confused the preamp since it was being told it was set at 20k when the attenuation table was actually created for 75k. I believe that made for some odd behavior and overly heavy bass. With the unit set back at 75k and run through calibration, the "too heavy bass" problem went away and the preamp is now behaving/sounding normal.

I tweaked the firmware to make sure the default 75k level associated with impedance setting #1 can't inadvertently be changed or revert to 20k. I've sent a firmware update file to Terry that addresses that. Problem solved.  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #81 on: 14 Dec 2018, 03:21 pm »
Below is the updated  tour status. TJHUB will be shipping the unit off to paul79 next week. 

1) konut (WA)
2) SFDude (WA)
3) MttBush (WA)
4) Tubeburner(WA)
5) Ern Dog (OR)
6) ssglx (CO)
7) TJHUB (WI)

8 ) paul79 (OK)
9) Naimnut
10) audiogurujax (FL)

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 15 Dec 2018, 08:35 pm »
Can we pump the brakes a bit, and ship it to me on the 26th? I will be back home then and thereafter. Thank you!!!!!!!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #83 on: 15 Dec 2018, 09:55 pm »
Can we pump the brakes a bit, and ship it to me on the 26th? I will be back home then and thereafter. Thank you!!!!!!!

Sure. Terry, please go ahead on hold on to the tour buffer until the 26th. Enjoy!

TJHUB

« Reply #84 on: 28 Dec 2018, 09:23 pm »
Just so everyone knows, I had it stuck in my head that I was to ship the unit to Paul on the 28th, so that's what I did.  I haven't been around much, so I never double checked until I shipped the preamp today.  Sorry!  I PM'd Paul the tracking number.

So the review...or not as it may be...

My setup:

Source:  Single PC, JPLAY Femto, running on Windows Server 2016 with lots of tweaks
DDC:  Schitt Eitr USB to SPDIF converter
DAC:  Eastern Electric DAC Plus (Burson V5 opamps, no tube)
Preamp:  Tortuga LDR3.v2
Amp:  Mivera Audio ICE Edge
Speakers:  Saulk HT3

I want to first say that prior to the tour preamp, I think my current setup has the PERFECT (or read best I've EVER had) sound for sound stage, imaging, detail, sense of depth and dimension, frequency response, clarity, tone and texture.  I've been working on this for many years, and do not want to make any changes (first time ever).  I have owned my Tortuga LDR3.v2 since they became available, and loved it from the first listen.  I do power it with a 12v linear power supply, but I can't say for certain it sounds better than the supplied wall-wort supply. 

My review is going to be near useless for most.  Why?  Basically the LDR300 didn't work for me.  This isn't because there was anything wrong with the LDR300, it's because it turns out my DAC doesn't seem compatible with it. 

Since owning my LDR3.v2, I have tried many impedance settings on the unit.  I DO NOT understand this stuff, but I do know what sounds best to me.  My DAC doesn't sound right at anything above 10-15k on the impedance setting.  Even at the default of 20k, my DAC starts to sound closed in, less dynamic, less defined bass, and reduced treble extension.  Any higher and things just get worse; even the sound stage completely collapses at 60k and above.  The sweet spot is 5-10k for me, and even 1k sounds fine except that things seem to lean up just a bit.  But at 5-10k, I have super clean, tonally rich sound.

My DAC's preferred 5-10k impedance does NOT work well with LDR300 in that the LDR300 likes higher, or more specifically 75k, impedance setting.  This of course makes my DAC sound bad as stated above.  I did try lower impedance settings, but things got thin and far from what I'm used to hearing.  So not a fault of anything wrong, but more of an incompatibility. 

That said, I was also excited to get my hands on a unit with the new OLED display.  While my dual segmented display is functional, the YouTube video I saw of the new OLED display made me want one.  After using one, I'd really like to have one, but the cost is just too much to justify.  I also have the idea I might be going balanced in the future if and when I move to a newer DAC.  So too many variables, and too much cost for now.  Still, the new display is VERY nice! 

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #85 on: 22 Jan 2019, 06:11 pm »
Bump

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #86 on: 22 Jan 2019, 07:58 pm »
Bump

I've continued to tweak the LDR300 design such that it was time to update the circuit board so I called back the tour unit. The tour unit had also developed a problem that was generating hum. I traced that to a bad JFET module which has since been redesigned.  New blank boards arrived today so by end of this week I should have a good idea how the updated LDR300 performs and if all goes well hope to have the updated tour unit back on the road soon thereafter to finish up its tour.

Naimnut

« Reply #87 on: 17 Feb 2019, 06:13 pm »
Dear Tortuga -

I know my name is somewhere on the list to receive the tour unit eventually, but the purpose of this short post is to simply say my life is a bit in chaos lately. And the chaos will continue for several months, as I prepare for an impending retirement and relocation. All these happenings have meant that my time to log onto this forum is greatly reduced, so if I'm unresponsive to a post, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience I might cause.

Best regards,
Mark/Markus

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Tour - LDR300.V25 Buffered Preamp | Part II
« Reply #88 on: 4 Apr 2019, 04:13 pm »
The LDR300 has has undergone a significant upgrade and in my opinion and that of a few early adopters has gone from good to extraordinary.

As a result of this design upgrade I'd halted the original tour (Part I) around 2/3'rds of the way through and called back the preamp while we worked our way through the updated design process. Rather than just continue with the last 3 participants, I'd like to open up the tour again, add another 7 or so participants and have at it with the LDR300 Tour - Part II.

Anyone interested in participating in Part II please respond to this thread or PM me.

Here's the participant list starting with the last 3 people from Part I.

1 ) paul79 (OK)
2) Naimnut
3) audiogurujax (FL)
4)
5)
6)
7)
Eight)
9)
10)

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #89 on: 4 Apr 2019, 05:30 pm »
Pls ad me to this list.  I am curious as to the changes this buffer will make.

glynnw

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #90 on: 4 Apr 2019, 05:41 pm »
Pls ad me to this list.  I am curious as to the changes this buffer will make.

glynnw

Done!

1 ) paul79 (OK)
2) Naimnut
3) audiogurujax (FL)
4) glynnw
5)
6)
7)
Eight)
9)
10)

Delta77

« Reply #91 on: 4 Apr 2019, 06:10 pm »
I would love to be on the list please, as I missed being on the list the first tour..!!
I'm honestly looking to put some sort of remote volume control in my system , Currently using the OPPO 205 (dac) for remote volume control..

My System ::
Denon  dp49L ( TT ) Otrafon 2m blue - not used much compared to the Streamer
Decware  ZP3  (phono preamp)
Apple TV4  (streamer) - looking to upgrade maybe Innuos, Salk, Bryston, Wyred 4 sound...
Oppo 205   ( DAC - CDP ) - may upgrade to a BoarderPatrol DAC..
Decware CSP3  (preamp/headphone amp) - no remote volume but works great as a glorified Tube Buffer for the Oppo 205
Decware  ZMA  ( 35 watt PP amp )
Tekton  Double Impact SE  ( Full range speakers, estimated 96db  )
Tekton  Cinema  ( 18' subwoofer )
Cullen Cable  (Mil. spec. silver coated copper) Full loom

jriggy

« Reply #92 on: 4 Apr 2019, 07:48 pm »
Count me in as well... I’d love to hear it as a potential second signal pathway I’m doing.

(IN)

Let me know what info you need.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #93 on: 4 Apr 2019, 10:59 pm »
Thanks for signing up guys. Filling up!  :thumb:

1 ) paul79 (OK)
2) Naimnut
3) audiogurujax (FL)
4) glynnw
5) Delta77
6) jriggy
7)
Eight)
9)
10)

GentleBender

« Reply #94 on: 4 Apr 2019, 11:17 pm »
How many inputs does the LDR300.V25 have?
Never mind, I did this little thing called research and found it has three inputs. :duh:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #95 on: 5 Apr 2019, 01:16 pm »
List update. 3 to go.  :thumb:

1 ) paul79 (OK)
2) Naimnut
3) audiogurujax (FL)
4) glynnw
5) Delta77
6) jriggy
7) GentleBender
Eight)
9)
10)

teetee

« Reply #96 on: 5 Apr 2019, 02:36 pm »
Count me in

teetee

« Reply #97 on: 5 Apr 2019, 02:41 pm »
Love to compare it to wrapspeed LDR preamp

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #98 on: 5 Apr 2019, 03:23 pm »
List update. 2 to go.  :thumb:

1 ) paul79 (OK)
2) Naimnut
3) audiogurujax (FL)
4) glynnw
5) Delta77
6) jriggy
7) GentleBender
Eight) teetee
9)
10)

jriggy

« Reply #99 on: 5 Apr 2019, 04:57 pm »
Will you be doing in order of signup or a ‘geogrphical shipping path’ across the country??
Whichever, but shipping might be lower for most if doing the latter.