DPL-15 for OB?

glt

DPL-15 for OB?
« on: 27 May 2010, 05:49 pm »
Hi,
Is the DPL-15 suitable for Open Baffle cross-over'ed at 1KHz?

Thanks.

Kevin Haskins

Re: DPL-15 for OB?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2010, 07:52 pm »
It could be if the rest of the design was done correctly.    We don't typically design 15" drivers for 1K crossover points..... we focus on 1st/2nd octave performance where they are designed to operate.    You will be into cone break-up in any 15" driver once you get up that high and you have all the obvious dispersion characteristics of a 15" diameter driver.    On an open baffle it is wider than in monopole use but you still have the cone break-up to consider.   

All of those are system design constraints that any 15" driver will have.   You don't exactly get a pretty response that high so you may need to plan for notch filters or other crossover work to deal with the response anomalies which you would need to measure in the design to determine the appropriate network needed.    If it were me.... I'd aim for a lower crossover point where you don't have to worry about the break-up of the 15" driver and the dispersion pattern better matches what you are matching above it.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 10:23 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

Re: DPL-15 for OB?
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2010, 11:07 pm »
What I encourage people to plan around is a smaller diameter driver for that crossover point.   Dipoles can crossover higher for a given driver size but not drastically so.    Most 8" or 10" drivers would probably be a better fit that high.   Use multiples to pick up the extra Sd which is needed for reasonable bass response.     If you really want to do it right use multiple larger drivers for subwoofer use.   The Maelstrom 21" can reach pretty incredible levels run dipole.... all the way down to 20Hz.    A pair of them built into a dipole speaker would be incredible.