White Van Upgrade!

n00b

White Van Upgrade!
« on: 10 Feb 2020, 01:20 pm »
I'm considering using these crappy "white van" cabinets as a platform for some A/V-3's.  They have polyfill stapled to both sides and no internal bracing.  Is it worth the trouble?

Sonicjoy

Re: White Van Upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2020, 02:12 pm »
I would think it would be more trouble than it's worth. The dimensions would need to be the same, the spacing between the drivers looks to be too far apart and are the drivers even the same size? They are ported and the A/V3's are not. If they are "cheap" speakers the box is likely thinner walled. At a minimum you would need new baffles and at that point???

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2020, 05:30 pm »
For Danny’s speakers to shine they need a proper cabinet. Maybe consider donating those WVS to a nursing home or something.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2020, 08:17 pm »
I say go for it. Why not? If they end up sounding like doo-doo, it’s probably still an upgrade to what they currently sound like. Have fun with it.

I had a pair of White Van speakers back in the day. They got my old man, not me. They sold him some “Becker” carpeted home speakers. They told him they were extras from a movie theater install, yadda yadda yadda. He thought they were legit speakers because he’s a foreign car mechanic. The real Becker made OEM stereos and speakers for Mercedes and I think BMW, but not sure about BMW. Either way, he thought he was getting a deal on something good.

Underneath the carpeting, they were particleboard. No crossover. The level adjustment to the mid horn and tweeter weren’t even hooked up. Just an empty particleboard box with 3 drivers of horrendous quality all hooked up to each other and a crappy spring speaker connector terminal. He paid about $50 for the pair. $25 would’ve been the most I’d have given them on a good day. But in all fairness they served as basement and garage speakers for quite a few years until I moved and decided they weren’t worth the effort of loading them into the truck nor the space they’d take up. I left them to the landlord who was fine with me leaving them.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2020, 11:06 pm »
They are not worth salvaging. I can't imagine making them work for a pair of A/V-3's.

n00b

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2020, 05:46 pm »
I suspected these were pure garbage, but I thought I'd take the gamble.  You know, Mythbusters proved you can, in fact, polish a turd!

I'll drop these off at the good will and call it a day.

Thanks All!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2020, 10:38 pm »
Keep ‘em around for sh!ts and giggles. Sometimes, slummin’ it is fun. Basement, garage, outside, whatever. My old white van speakers went through hell and back. And never lost a step in the process.