Bryston 3bsst powering Paradigm Studio 100s

fld

« on: 28 Dec 2005, 08:45 am »
very new to this forum and perhaps someone here can shed light.

i'm about to get a studio 100 and have 2nd thoughts whether the 3bsst can drive this to realistic levels for home theater use as mains.

anyone here have experience with this combo ?

room size is about 16 feet x 20 feet.

regards

Mag

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2006, 05:24 pm »
I use the Bryston 3B-sst to power Studio 100's, and no problem. In fact I have both the 100's and Studio 20's hooked to the amp and it has not clipped once, and I play music fairly loud. The 3B-st will power them as well, but I've had it clip when the bass is heavy and volume loud.
  I pretty certain that your jaw will hit the floor when you power this baby up with the 100's and hear it for the first time.  :D
  Let me know what you think if you do pull the trigger. Thanks

fld

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2006, 12:54 am »
Many thanks Mag.

I actually waiting for the Studio 60s to arrive-- holding off for the 100s since my room might not be too big for it.

Plus am using the Studio 60 for HT use and will be using the 3Bsst to drive them.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2006, 08:57 am »
I think that your room is big enough for the 100's. Assuming you have good   room acoustics then I don't think the bass will be overpowering. And depending on the pre-amp you use you can control the LFE if need be. Myself I use a sub for the freq. below 80 hz, that way I can adjust it manually to my liking. I haven't heard the 60's but where the 100's really excell is in the upper bass region and I doubt the 60's would be as good.
Just my .02 cents.

fld

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2006, 02:15 am »
many thanks. i might opt for the 4bsst in the near future so power issues will be minimal with whatever speakers I use in the future.

saea501

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2006, 03:37 pm »
I own two 3BSSTs. They are driving two pair of pretty inefficient speakers, about 87db. The amplifiers have got a tremendous amout of grunt and I have never run them out of power even when listening hard. They will easily drive the system to over 100db when called upon to do so. Not to mention the fact that they sound great.

Get one, you'll love it.

fld

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2006, 12:23 am »
Quote from: saea501
I own two 3BSSTs. They are driving two pair of pretty inefficient speakers, about 87db. The amplifiers have got a tremendous amout of grunt and I have never run them out of power even when listening hard. They will easily drive the system to over 100db when called upon to do so. Not to mention the fact that they sound great.

Get one, you'll love it.

hi sea,

which speakers do you have the 3bsst driving them ?

regards

Antman27

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2006, 12:57 am »
Tag  along
I have Studio 40's powered by a Denon 3805 but I want more power to them BUT have no spack left in my rack so I am looking into something like a nuforce or flyingmole amp
Any thoughts

saea501

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2006, 01:10 pm »
The 3BSSTS are driving two pair of Epicure 201s. They are floorstanding, use 2 8" woofers and two 1" tweeters in each sealed cabinet.

fld

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2006, 07:11 am »
Quote from: Mag
I use the Bryston 3B-sst to power Studio 100's, and no problem. In fact I have both the 100's and Studio 20's hooked to the amp and it has not clipped once, and I play music fairly loud. The 3B-st will power them as well, but I've had it clip when the bass is heavy and volume loud.Thanks

just to clarify: is the 3bsst hooked to both the 100s and 20s at the same time, meaning both are running @ the same time ?

thanks

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2006, 09:58 pm »
Yep, both at the same time. Tonight I will play speakers at full range with demanding bass and see if I can get the 3B-sst to clip. 100 db' 'c' weighted will be my limit as I don't need to lose my hearing. :|
 I will let you know if I see red.

fld

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2006, 01:08 am »
Yep, both at the same time. Tonight I will play speakers at full range with demanding bass and see if I can get the 3B-sst to clip. 100 db' 'c' weighted will be my limit as I don't need to lose my hearing. :|
 I will let you know if I see red.

hmmm. so you run two pairs of speaker cables from your 3bsst ?
You are probably looking at close to 2 to 3 ohms with both of these load ?
I bet the 3bsst runs pretty warm with those two hooked up eh ?

looking forward to your reply on that matter. lets see if you can clip em.

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2006, 03:22 am »
Okay the test is complete. First I played DSOTM sacd at 30 on my Yamaha which I use as a pre-amp. The db flutuated anywhere between 92 and 108 db 'c' weigthed.  No clipping I then turned the volume dial up to 24. The average db reading was between 95 and 100 db 'c' weighted, still no clipping. I hope you can appreciate just how loud this is.
  Next I played Blue Man Audio cd at 30 on my Yammie. At this volume my 3B-st was clipping which has my B&W 601's and Paradigm monitor 9's hooked to it. But still no clipping on the sst.  Both amps are warm to the touch, but not hot.
  As a side note you are more likely to get clipping with a bad recording. Both  of these tests were with excellent recordings.  Even so the 3B-sst has more than enough power for the Studio 100's.  :)

srx04

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2006, 05:10 am »
Okay the test is complete. First I played DSOTM sacd at 30 on my Yamaha which I use as a pre-amp. The db flutuated anywhere between 92 and 108 db 'c' weigthed.  No clipping I then turned the volume dial up to 24. The average db reading was between 95 and 100 db 'c' weighted, still no clipping. I hope you can appreciate just how loud this is.
  Next I played Blue Man Audio cd at 30 on my Yammie. At this volume my 3B-st was clipping which has my B&W 601's and Paradigm monitor 9's hooked to it. But still no c ...

I have a pair of the 100's V3 with NuForce ref 9's driving them (no clipping for as loud as I can stand :) )

How would you compare the studio's to the B&W's /monitor 9's?

BTW just purchased a squeezebox 3 to stream all my music  :rock:
via computer...Planning on modding it via RedWine audio.
BEHOLD THE FUTURE!!!!!!!

fld

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2006, 02:32 am »
  Next I played Blue Man Audio cd at 30 on my Yammie. At this volume my 3B-st was clipping which has my B&W 601's and Paradigm monitor 9's hooked to it. But still no c ...

i did similar with the studio 60s and the 3bsst-- played up to 104 db (peaks), average about 94 db-- no problem!! i think if pushed too loud the speakers might blow up!!

in my room for music, 85 db is very comfortable, above 90db, ceiling joints and t-runners starts to shake.

i think i made the right choice of just using the 3bsst over the 4bsst

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2006, 04:44 am »
My average listening level is about 90 db 'c' weighted. It is not that I am deaf but I play it at this level more for room effect. At this volume the music has a halographic quality that to me is similar to what I have heard at a live concert venue. Actually I use to play my music at 95 db, but since getting the sst there is more clarity to the music and it seems just as loud as before but isn't.
   I went with the 3B-sst over the 4B mainly due to the fact that I was feeling sick for spending so much money and didn't want to pay anymore money than I needed. I also thought that I might have power issue with the 4b since I only have two wall outlets in my room powering everything. I can't see ever needing the extra watts. About the only advantage I can think of for buying the 4B would be its resale value. But I would not part with my Bryston anyway unless it were to get stolen.
  As for how the B&W Dm 601 s3 compare to Paridigm studios. In my opinion the 601's are best compare to the studio 20's. From what I could tell in my A/B test. The 20's have a much wider beam of sound, the 601's are narrow. However the 601's tweeter is slightly better but only marginally. Tonally I can't tell any difference from the Paradigms, perhaps a trained musician could.
    The 601's paired with the Paradigm Monitor 9's sound pretty much like the Studio 100 v2 but  does not have the slam bass of the 100's.  So its like I have 4 Studio 100's in my room.

fld

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2006, 07:18 am »
it took me a long while to decide bet the 4bsst and 3bsst.

I think if to buy new, the 4bsst would have done it. But i had a chance to get a used 3bsst for just a little over $1k.

Even w/ that deal i was really contemplating on the 4bsst because of the power. However, when practicality set in, i just took the 3bsst.

I dont think i will ever fully exploit the power of the 4bsst to its max, so as the 3bsst.