4B SST2 vs 28B SST2

casey68

4B SST2 vs 28B SST2
« on: 13 Oct 2014, 05:35 am »

I currently own a single 4BSST(upgraded to SST2) Love the amp!

I'm looking for an opinion from anyone who has experienced the differences.
What are the actual differences between the Bryston SST and the SST2 line?
I'm considering selling the single 4B SST(2) and switching to a pair of 28B SST2's
Has anyone made such a jump and have an experienced opinion?
Asides from the impressively massive increase in top notch power capabilities, at what point do the 28B SST2's switch from Class A to Class B?
This is predominently a Classical/Jazz/Easy Listening music system.
Thank you in advance for your input

rmurray

Re: 4B SST2 vs 28B SST2
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2014, 10:53 am »
  Good question. I would like to see some experienced opinions  on this too :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:02 pm »
>>What are the actual differences between the Bryston SST and the SST2 line?<<

Okay, I gave my opinion on this once before. IMO when I swapped my SST for the SST2 what I noticed right away was increased bass vibe. Like when you walk into a nightclub and a live band is playing, you can feel the vibe. Second which takes a little longer to notice is the highs are more linear. Third after about 2 weeks of listening, I realized playing familiar songs from the BCD-1, that the SST2 was processing subtle details that I didn't hear with the SST.

Also when comparing ST, SST & SST2 for my center channel without making changes to center channel settings. Being that I sit real close to the center in near field, the SST2 was too much bass and more forward. The ST had nice voice tone which I really liked, but the SST was just right as it was more linear than the ST and kind a done a disappearing act, like I couldn't tell there was a center channel. Other than these differences the amps have what I guess you could call, the Bryston characteristic sound.

In a normal listening distance these probably aren't issues. Because I heard SST2 in a dealer demo for my SP2 and the presentation was liquid smooth. :smoke:

Rod_S

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:49 pm »
How did you get a SST upgraded to SST2? I asked that question of Bryston years ago and was told it could not be done, at least not in it's entirety.

I actually moved from a 4B-SST C series (pre-SST2) last fall to a pair of 28B-SST2's. Since it's not exactly a like for like (i.e. 4B-SST to 4B-SST2) due to the huge increase of available power on tap in the 28's so I can't say if the increased bottom end I hear is more a result of the 28's power vs. the SST2 design but there is more authority at lower frequencies. It's just more controlled and so quick. Aside from that I would be hard pressed to hear a difference which is good because I continue to use a 6B-SST C series for my center and surrounds and to be able to hear a big audible difference would really bother me so I am very pleased with the setup.

Since most of the time my system is just used for watching tv rather than listening to music, watching movies, etc. I'm not running very loud and because of that the 28's run very warm, basically hot and act like heaters in the room so I'm assuming they are running only in Class A at this stage. When I listen to music or watch movies I'm listening at increased volumes and the heat tends to dissipate a fair bit so I would assume they are running in A/B for that.  In the summer the room gets ridiculously hot now with the 28's.

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:09 pm »
I think James once observed that the SST2's run in class A for about 1% of their power rating which for the 28B SST2 would be 10 watts.  I have the 7B SST2's and they run in class A up to about 6 watts or a little less.

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:11 pm »
The pre-amp is a factor here. When I was using my Yamaha RX-V1700 before the SP2, the SST2 sounded a tad boomy whereas the SST sounded great in pure direct mode.

Now I couldn't live without an SST2 powering the mains. :smoke:

casey68

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2014, 10:23 pm »
How did you get a SST upgraded to SST2? I asked that question of Bryston years ago and was told it could not be done, at least not in it's entirety.

I actually moved from a 4B-SST C series (pre-SST2) last fall to a pair of 28B-SST2's. Since it's not exactly a like for like (i.e. 4B-SST to 4B-SST2) due to the huge increase of available power on tap in the 28's so I can't say if the increased bottom end I hear is more a result of the 28's power vs. the SST2 design but there is more authority at lower frequencies. It's just more controlled and so quick. Aside from that I would be hard pressed to hear a difference which is good because I continue to use a 6B-SST C series for my center and surrounds and to be able to hear a big audible difference would really bother me so I am very pleased with the setup.

Since most of the time my system is just used for watching tv rather than listening to music, watching movies, etc. I'm not running very loud and because of that the 28's run very warm, basically hot and act like heaters in the room so I'm assuming they are running only in Class A at this stage. When I listen to music or watch movies I'm listening at increased volumes and the heat tends to dissipate a fair bit so I would assume they are running in A/B for that.  In the summer the room gets ridiculously hot now with the 28's.

The original owner had his friend at Bryston upgrade all the internal circuitry to SST2, I saw the receipt showing "Replaced, transformer, all Caps and resisters" etc. I don't know what it cost him, but she's a beauty of an amp!
I was interested in switching to separate individual mono blocks and thought the 28's would do fine, I was hoping the 28SST2 would do more than a mere 10W in class A, I suppose I could just acquire a more efficient set of speakers for low level listening, my current Paradigm Studio 100v2 will eventually be replaced, a friend who built his own speakers that were professionally assessed at a sound quality that is equal to a $150K pair of speakers, he's offered to build me an amazing set for about 8-10K.
My other option is to go with a pair of Pass Labs XA100.5 or Levinson 532's, however I've read that the Pass Labs has a tendency to sound dry, also the bass on the Pass Labs is not quick enough for most listeners.
I admit that I do like my 4B SST2 mated to my Benchmark DAC2 HGC playing DSD audio (so frustrating as I find it exceedingly difficult to find good quality DSD recordings, if anyone has any suggestions on very well recorded DSD or SACD selections, that would be great).
I just sold my BP26 /w MPS2 as I was clearly able to distinguish that the Benchmark DAC2 was simply so much more transparent as a stand alone Pre/DAC.
My current (humble) audio system...
Bryston 4B SST2
Benchmark DAC2 HGC
OPPO 103D
Pioneer Elite VSX94THX
Paradigm Studio 100v2
SVS SB13 Ultra
Blue Circle Noise Hounds x2
Transparent Interconnects
PC Audio Power Cables
MIT Terminator Speaker conduits
Macbook pro (late 2012 ver.)
Audirvana 1.5.1.2
I'm using an Active USB cable due to the distance between the Mac and the DAC.
Yes the wires are a mess cause I'm constantly trying to ideas.

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2014, 11:54 pm »
I was using Paradigm 100 v2 for mains. Now I have the Model T passives and the 100's are doing surround duty in the corners when I listen in Neo:6 music mode. I switch between Stereo and Neo:6 all the time, not that much difference except Neo:6 takes the bass load off the amp. The T's are power by a 3B SST2 and the 100's a 3B ST.

No problem with powering the Model T's with the 3B SST2 but with some hard rockin' songs if the volume is too high it will overheat and shutdown.

Rod_S

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:57 am »
I was also using 100v2's along with an entire v2 surround setup before I upgraded to B&W. The ole v2's were some incredible speakers for the money.

Well if you are after a Class A amp then the Bryston's aren't for you, just get a true Class A amp and be done with it rather than trying to rely on the Class A range of a Bryston amp.

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:57 am »
Casey68 What you're missing in your set up with the 100's is a power conditioner. If you go with the 28's they have that included if IRCC. I'm using a Monster AVS 2000.

With a conditioner the bass slam of the 100's will open up, night & day difference. But as you say you could also go to a more efficient speaker.

As for sacd Randy Brecker- Some Skunk Funk is top notch sound but I'm not really into Jazz.

casey68

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm »
I was using Paradigm 100 v2 for mains. Now I have the Model T passives and the 100's are doing surround duty in the corners when I listen in Neo:6 music mode. I switch between Stereo and Neo:6 all the time, not that much difference except Neo:6 takes the bass load off the amp. The T's are power by a 3B SST2 and the 100's a 3B ST.

No problem with powering the Model T's with the 3B SST2 but with some hard rockin' songs if the volume is too high it will overheat and shutdown.

I'm now researching (with an experienced audiophile friend) building my own speakers with internal components that will easily yeild the sound quality equivilent to an 80-100K pair, so suffice to say that yes, my Bryston will most likely be replaced ;-)

casey68

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:56 pm »
I was also using 100v2's along with an entire v2 surround setup before I upgraded to B&W. The ole v2's were some incredible speakers for the money.

Well if you are after a Class A amp then the Bryston's aren't for you, just get a true Class A amp and be done with it rather than trying to rely on the Class A range of a Bryston amp.

Agreed that the Paradigm v2 is an impressive speaker for the dollar value, I got mine from a friend for a decent deal.
As for a class A amp, I've researched Levinson 532's, Classe, Pass Labs, Murrell and Rowland, however at this point I may entertain the idea of this  http://www.beyondfrontiersaudio.com/Tulip.html

casey68

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:04 pm »
Casey68 What you're missing in your set up with the 100's is a power conditioner. If you go with the 28's they have that included if IRCC. I'm using a Monster AVS 2000.

With a conditioner the bass slam of the 100's will open up, night & day difference. But as you say you could also go to a more efficient speaker.

As for sacd Randy Brecker- Some Skunk Funk is top notch sound but I'm not really into Jazz.

I do currently have a "cheap" Monster conditioner connected to my less demanding components, the Noise Hounds and connected to the other outlets on the same circuit. If it's one thing I've discovered with the 100v2's, they do have the ability to produce a pleasurably clean, tight bass, of course dependant of the track being played or more importantly the quality of that recorded track.
I have to say that the Benchmark DAC2 HGC is a very surprisingly, impressive improvement over the DAC1!

Mag

« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:29 am »
I do currently have a "cheap" Monster conditioner connected to my less demanding components, the Noise Hounds and connected to the other outlets on the same circuit. If it's one thing I've discovered with the 100v2's, they do have the ability to produce a pleasurably clean, tight bass, of course dependant of the track being played or more importantly the quality of that recorded track.
I have to say that the Benchmark DAC2 HGC is a very surprisingly, impressive improvement over the DAC1!

I don't think it's the same thing as the AVS 2000. I use a cheap conditioner for that stuff too.

What the AVS 2000 does is keep the voltage steady at 120 volts. With the Paradigm 100 v2 speakers every time the bass hits the voltage drops 7 to 8 volts, so the speaker is lagging. With the voltage steady the bass is always fast and you can feel it kick you in the gut. :smoke:

casey68

« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2014, 02:49 am »
I don't think it's the same thing as the AVS 2000. I use a cheap conditioner for that stuff too.

What the AVS 2000 does is keep the voltage steady at 120 volts. With the Paradigm 100 v2 speakers every time the bass hits the voltage drops 7 to 8 volts, so the speaker is lagging. With the voltage steady the bass is always fast and you can feel it kick you in the gut. :smoke:

I've never had anything remotely close to that kind of bass come from my 100's, my SVS most definitely.

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:23 am »
I've never had anything remotely close to that kind of bass come from my 100's, my SVS most definitely.

The Paradigm Studio 100 v2 IMO has what I call Slam Bass. I did a post on types of bass that I've heard quite awhile back but don't remember the name of the post.

The Model T passives have Slam Bass as well, but with vibes! :smoke:

casey68

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:55 am »
The Paradigm Studio 100 v2 IMO has what I call Slam Bass. I did a post on types of bass that I've heard quite awhile back but don't remember the name of the post.

The Model T passives have Slam Bass as well, but with vibes! :smoke:

What kinda amp are you drilling these things with?
My Bryston 4B SST2 hard puts out any bass on mine, unless it the DAC2 or MIT speaker cables

Mag

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:00 am »
3B SST2

casey68

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:11 am »
weird, do you push the power high?

Mag

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:25 am »
Yep, but it's the power conditioner that gives it the juice.

I wasn't a believer, but Werd an Audiocircle member was over and listened to my system. I have a multi-channel setup fronts, surrounds, center, sub. Well we both could see the voltage on my cheap conditioner was dropping 7,8,9 volts constantly.

So he sold me his Monster conditioner gave me a deal actually. I hooked it up and I told him right away you're not getting that back.

Now I'm a believer. :smoke: