Hypex Ncore Amps Announced

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Hypex Ncore Amps Announced
« Reply #260 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:18 pm »
Yes, at 126 SPL's, it will not take long before you are deaf.

No matter what casings you use, or even no casings, try using the Moongel drum pads underneath to isolate the amps from your shelves or floor. These pads beats even the most expensive, and can be had for $6.95 for a set of four on Ebay. This even includes the shipping.

These even beats the expensive Stillpoints. I love finding these bargains.
These?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Moongel?utm_source=CSEGoogle&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=Moongel&rkg_attid=333888496&SID=2&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=Moongel

You put these under your equipment? 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #262 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:29 pm »
Yes, it works like magic. Top to bottom, the sound is better.
:scratch:  Might just have to try this...

*Scotty*

« Reply #263 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:35 pm »
Remember, at a live performance of classical music we frequently experience peak SPLs over 115dB where the long term average SPL is might be only 78dB depending upon who the composer and the conductor is.
Most of the time I never go past 85dB when listening to most commercially produced recordings, there is just no dynamic range to them.
Ironically HT usage places a much greater demand on my system than music does due to the special effects tracks being way louder than the dialogue.
Scotty

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #264 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:41 pm »
Yes, it works like magic. Top to bottom, the sound is better.
BTW-where are they mean't to be used on the kick drum? 

OzarkTom

« Reply #265 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:43 pm »
BTW-where are they mean't to be used on the kick drum?

Free shipping from this Ebayer. I believe drummers use them to dampen the cymbals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTOM-Moongel-Drum-Damper-Pad-Moongel-Drum-Damper-Pad-/110790435097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cb9fe119#ht_3018wt_908

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #266 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:46 pm »

mhconley

« Reply #267 on: 2 Mar 2012, 01:58 pm »
I use Sorbothane hemispheres under all my electronics: http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM110706.htm

Vibration Mounts is the least expensive source I've found for them...

I use Dynamat inside the cases, too.  My 1000ASP based monoblock cases respond with a dull thump when rapped with a knuckle.

Martin

OzarkTom

« Reply #268 on: 2 Mar 2012, 02:52 pm »
I use Sorbothane hemispheres under all my electronics: http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM110706.htm

Vibration Mounts is the least expensive source I've found for them...

I use Dynamat inside the cases, too.  My 1000ASP based monoblock cases respond with a dull thump when rapped with a knuckle.

Martin

Moongel pads sounds better than sorbothane feet by quite a bit. The Sorbothane is too rigid.

mhconley

« Reply #269 on: 2 Mar 2012, 04:32 pm »
Moongel pads sounds better than sorbothane feet by quite a bit. The Sorbothane is too rigid.

The 30 durometer Sorbothane is pretty darned squishy... I can easily compress a hemishpere to less than half its thickness between my thumb and forefinger.  Are those Moongel pads similar in consistency to Dr. Scholl's gel pads?

Martin

OzarkTom

« Reply #270 on: 2 Mar 2012, 06:23 pm »
The 30 durometer Sorbothane is pretty darned squishy... I can easily compress a hemishpere to less than half its thickness between my thumb and forefinger.  Are those Moongel pads similar in consistency to Dr. Scholl's gel pads?

Martin

The moongels are very squishy like the gel pads, but they actually sounded a little better than the gel pads did.  We tried them in two systems. I don't know why the difference.

Rclark

« Reply #271 on: 2 Mar 2012, 07:08 pm »
you can tell sq improvements based on levels of squish under your gear? Are normal listening levels that detrimental to gear? How much? And if it's bass freqs causing the prob, what about all those waves passing through the box itself?

A little skeptical but interested. This is a physical tangible thing so maybe there's something to it, but haven't bothered with yet. Didn't think 70 80db would disrupt my gear.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #272 on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:13 pm »
I have in my possession, and auditioned other similar, component support devices of apparent high-tech composition.  In each case the devices seem to worsen performance rather than improve it.

The strange thing is that years ago I almost universally thought such devices improved performance.  Go figure.     

doug s.,
Thanks for clarifying the post recipe.  Do you employ that recipe, and if so, what do you think of it vs. normal post function?   

Rclark

« Reply #273 on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:35 pm »
I have planars and all my gear is off to the side in a null anyway.  :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #274 on: 2 Mar 2012, 09:23 pm »
doug s.,
Thanks for clarifying the post recipe.  Do you employ that recipe, and if so, what do you think of it vs. normal post function?   

jim, no, i have never tried this.  i did become aware of it quite a few years ago, reading the info about the ridge street audio "sason" loudspeakers - they prowide a modified cardas clamp-type connector that works much as you recommend - no binding post in the signal path; yust the internal wiring harness end(s) laying there, meant to be tightened down on your bare speaker wire ends w/no connectors...

i am tweaky to a certain degree, but there's some things i yust can't seem to be bothered with doing...   :lol:

doug s.

OzarkTom

« Reply #275 on: 3 Mar 2012, 12:56 am »
I have planars and all my gear is off to the side in a null anyway.  :lol:

For 7 bucks, this tweak is worth a try. My buddy and I has found it improves the amp, Dac, Pre-amp, and even Box speakers.

Anthony Gallo now includes a set of gel pads with every pair oh his new Classico box speakers. Gallo says the gel pads sounds better than spikes to him.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #276 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:58 pm »
No matter what casings you use, or even no casings, try using the Moongel drum pads underneath to isolate the amps from your shelves or floor. These pads beats even the most expensive, and can be had for $6.95 for a set of four on Ebay. This even includes the shipping.
These even beats the expensive Stillpoints. I love finding these bargains.
Do you have any idea how much weight these will safely support, Tom? I have a pair of 31 lb monitor speakers I'd like to try them with, even though it flies in the face of received wisdom of a few years ago which had it that a rigid coupling to the floor through the stand was the aim.

*Scotty*

« Reply #277 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:27 pm »
Russell, The Moongel pads are $8 for a set of 4 on Amazon with free shipping. At this price you could double down and buy 4 sets for $32 and get them shipped for free.
http://www.amazon.com/Moongel-AMG-Resonance-Pads/dp/B0002L52BE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331835464&sr=8-3

In as much as you are re-purposing the Moongel pads and using them in a manner for which they were never intended to be used, experimentation seems to be the order of the day.
 You could start with 20% to 30% static deflection which is what is recommended for sorbothane.
Scotty

Occam

« Reply #278 on: 15 Mar 2012, 06:36 pm »
... I put it back for Max.

you can tell sq improvements based on levels of squish under your gear?

No.... but your partner can. Its amazing what the young'ns will discuss in a public forum. :oops:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #279 on: 15 Mar 2012, 07:07 pm »
Russell, The Moongel pads are $8 for a set of 4 on Amazon with free shipping. At this price you could double down and buy 4 sets for $32 and get them shipped for free.
http://www.amazon.com/Moongel-AMG-Resonance-Pads/dp/B0002L52BE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331835464&sr=8-3

In as much as you are re-purposing the Moongel pads and using them in a manor for which they were never intended to be used, experimentation seems to be the order of the day.
 You could start with 20% to 30% static deflection which is what is recommended for sorbothane.
Scotty
Thanks, Scotty. I just found out they sell for $6 a set at Canada's equivalent to Guitar Center (Long & McQuade), so I'll hop right down there and get some!