BDP-2 Digital Player

ozzy

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #320 on: 10 Mar 2013, 08:17 pm »
rompolompo, James Tanner,unincognito,
Thank you for your help. Looks like the Squeezebox Touch is going to be replaced.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #321 on: 20 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm »
It's James' fault!  :icon_twisted:

No, it's Chris' fault!  :nono:

And it's all your fault, too. So there.

I've been considering an SP3, which should play nicely with my 6B-SST(C) and my two 4B-SST(C) amps. Bryston's James and Stan were very helpful in answering my queries, making my decision an easy one.

Then I looked at the AudioCircle threads on the BDP-2 and the BDA-2 . . .

The astute and helpful forum posts from the gents above and from AudioCircle members got me thinking . . . always dangerous. So a couple of weeks ago, I ordered the SP3, BDP-2, and BDA-2: 17" black panels, blue displays.

Just remember, it's your fault that I'll have lots of questions for you, so . . .

Stop the madness! Be less helpful.

Cheerio, and thanks again,

Rich

Blueshirt1

« Reply #322 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:26 pm »
Hey all,

My BDP2 should be arriving soon, not soon enough though ;)

I have 3tb WEd MyBook NAS that I am ripping all of my CD's to FLAC on.

My question is what do I gain by using the internal SSD? Is there a sound quality difference? Can the BDP read from both libraries?

I was thinking of putting my HighRez on the SSD if that gains me anything.

Thoughts?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #323 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:59 pm »
The benefit of an SSD is lack of audible noise, as your using a NAS you can place it outside of your listening room.  This in effect creates the same benefit as the SSD for less money per GB of storage.  (Unless your NAS is powered by SSD's).

Cheers,
Chris

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #324 on: 23 Mar 2013, 11:06 pm »
Gents, network-based audio is new to me, so I'd appreciate your advice on connecting our BDP-2 to our Apple gigabit network, which uses an 2010 Airport Extreme and a new Airport Express to extend range. We have the gear listed below my signature, all housed in a built-in wooden equipment cabinet.

Could I add another Airport Express dedicated to the home theatre system and placed in our equipment cabinet? It would be located in a cubby in the cabinet, away from the electronics but on the same dedicated 20-amp circuit.

Since four devices (SP3, BDP-2, Oppo BDP-105, and APC S20) have a network port, could I connect them to a network hub or switch and then to the single LAN ethernet port on the Airport Express for wifi connection to our network? If so, would this need to be a gigabit hub/switch?

I appreciate your help. Networking is a mystery to me.

Thanks very much,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Brickwall Audio Surge Protectors | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

srb

« Reply #325 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:27 am »
You can connect a hub or switch to the LAN port on the Airport Express, however because the Airport Express LAN port is only 100Mb, a Gigabit hub or switch will not give you any increased speed going through that 100Mb LAN port.

Switches are generally preferred as they can switch packets to the proper port as opposed to hubs which broadcast packets across all ports increasing traffic and collisions.

If you only had 3 wired network devices to be WiFi enabled, you could add another Airport Extreme configured in Bridge mode with its Gigabit LAN ports, but unfortunately it only has 3 LAN ports (instead of 4 LAN ports like the majority of wireless routers or access points) and you would be short one port.

Steve

mrhyfy

« Reply #326 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:46 am »
It's James' fault!  :icon_twisted:

No, it's Chris' fault!  :nono:

And it's all your fault, too. So there.

I've been considering an SP3, which should play nicely with my 6B-SST(C) and my two 4B-SST(C) amps. Bryston's James and Stan were very helpful in answering my queries, making my decision an easy one.

Then I looked at the AudioCircle threads on the BDP-2 and the BDA-2 . . .

The astute and helpful forum posts from the gents above and from AudioCircle members got me thinking . . . always dangerous. So a couple of weeks ago, I ordered the SP3, BDP-2, and BDA-2: 17" black panels, blue displays.

Just remember, it's your fault that I'll have lots of questions for you, so . . .

Stop the madness! Be less helpful.

Cheerio, and thanks again,

Rich

why a bda-2 AND an SP3???  2 separate systems??  I can't understand putting a BDA-2 in front of an SP3!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #327 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:23 am »
hi, mrhyfy!

...the SP3 and the BDA-2 have different dacs. furthermore the BDA-2 has one dac per channel which in turn could lead to "better sound" i guess ?!?!

al.

mrhyfy

« Reply #328 on: 24 Mar 2013, 11:46 am »
I suspected that the BDA-2 should sound slightly better than the SP3.  Seems like a lot of dough for the (marginal?) improvement as I expect the SP3 to be no slouch in sonic performance...

Joker

« Reply #329 on: 24 Mar 2013, 02:41 pm »
Selling my BDA-1 and BDP-1 combo. Anybody interested? Drop me a seperate email.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #330 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:37 pm »
Your queries are apt, mrhyfy and alexone. I purchased the BDA-2 for flexibility.

Right now, I have a combined music/theatre system, using the components in my signature below. I miss my two-channel system and may rebuild one. I had Apogee Duetta Signatures, supplemented by a hefty Velodyne sub and driven by McIntosh gear. The sound was very three-dimensional and engaging; as one example, on Ludus Danielis (The Play of Daniel; Hungaroton HCD 12457-2), one could hear the Schola Hungarica choir advancing from deep into the soundstage behind the panel speakers. Yet, the Mac MC2002 power amp (rated at 200/300wpc, 8/4 ohms) peaked often and ran out of gas driving the low-impedance Apogees. No such problem with my 4B-SST(C).

I'll likely use the BDP-2 and BDA-2 in this system and will definitely use Bryston for the front end. The new Bryston speakers are very interesting, especially with the built-in amplification and electronic crossovers, and I hope to give them a listen.

FYI, there should be a new D/A module for the SP3 in the coming months; discussion begins at post #763 on the SP3.0 thread.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Oswego0522

« Reply #331 on: 13 Apr 2013, 12:29 am »
I recently learned what DAC means, so apologies for not being the brightest bulb in this forum.

I am scheduled to receive a BDP-2 and a BDA-2 next week. I believe that I have 2 options to connect the BDP to the internet:
1) Install an Ethernet outlet in the stereo room, which currently does not have one...not an option the wife likes
2) Use Powerline network adapters

I intend to connect a HD either to one of the BDP's USB ports or internally. Therefore, I believe that I will only be using the internet connection to control music selection, update the firmware, and to add music to the HD--no streaming from a NAS drive.

If I go the Powerline route, will I undermine the performance of my BDP player?

m00nhawk

« Reply #332 on: 13 Apr 2013, 02:15 pm »
I don't think so, as long as you aren't sending data, the power line is probably a fine choice.

Especially considering the WAF...   

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #333 on: 13 Apr 2013, 03:12 pm »
Oswego0522, would a wifi network be feasible for you?

The others on this forum will doubtless know more about this technology than I, but we use an Apple Airport Extreme router ($179US) and extend the range with an Airport Express ($99US), so my wife can use her iPad throughout the house. Since you're not streaming, this should provide enough bandwidth. While ours is a Mac system, these devices will also work with PCs. (I'm also running Cat 6 cable in-wall from our router to our audio system, as it seems most audio/video gear uses networks these days and a gigabit network should provide enough speed for our needs.)

I would, however, use a wired network for firmware updates, as you don't want a hiccup. If it's feasible, perhaps for such updates, you could use a long ethernet cable for the few minutes needed to update, or simply remove your BDP2 from the system for a short while and move it to a location nearby your main network connections.

You should very much enjoy the BDP2 and BDA2. We received ours, and an SP3, this week, and the sound is superb.

Rich

Oswego0522

« Reply #334 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:45 pm »
Thank you for both responses. I think that I will play it safe and have an Ethernet outlet installed behind where the BDP-2 will be placed.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #335 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:21 am »
Sounds like a smart move, Oswego:

You may still wish to consider a wireless network in addition, since you can control your BDP2 from an iPad or laptop. You've likely seen the interesting discussions on this in several of the Bryston circle threads.

FWIW, for your wired ethernet, I'd recommend doing a gigabit network to give you lots of capacity (Macs have built-in gigabit networking; I'm not sure about PCs, but doubtless forum participants more geeky than I will know). We just ordered a couple of Cisco switches (about $55 each), one for our equipment cabinet and one for nearby our router, and numerous Cat 6 cables (about $100). This sort of capacity should let you stream video (such as concerts as well as movies) smoothly, and it's a small cost increment from 10/100 network gear. If you want to PM me, I'll be happy to let you know the gear and vendors we used.

Congrats on your discerning judgment in selecting Bryston gear. All the best people are doing so.  :D

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Afterimage

« Reply #336 on: 17 Apr 2013, 05:34 pm »
I'm interested in this music server.  I currently have the Wyred4sound server, just wondering if the Bryston BDP-2 would be worth it or if it is a step up in sound quality.  I will have the BDA-2 DAC to pair with it.  Thoughts?

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #337 on: 18 Apr 2013, 12:25 am »
Halloo, Afterimage:

I have the BDP2 and BDA2, as do several forum participants. I doubt that any of us would do less than rave about the truth and clarity of the sound. I've not heard the Wyred4Sound server and cannot comment on it vis-a-vis the BDP2.

You certainly won't go wrong with the BDP2, but it appears to be a very different unit from the Wyred4Sound, in that it doesn't rip CDs. You might check out the thread on the in-development BOT1 optical disc transport, as it looks like you'd need this unit to gain the functionality of your present unit.

A number of folks in the Bryston Circle have the BDP1 and people have noted that the BDP2 sounds more laid back in their view. I'd recommend reviewing their comments in light of your listening preferences. The BDP2 has the advantage of more power, as noted in several AC threads. Should you have a dealer that would let you A/B the units, either via a loaner BDP or by letting you bring in your W4S unit, that would certainly answer your questions. Perhaps a member of the forum might live nearby and be interested in helping with your query.

Cheerio,

Rich

Afterimage

« Reply #338 on: 18 Apr 2013, 01:23 am »
thanks for the reply.  Ripping disk shouldn't be an issue.  I can always load them into my external hard drive via my Macbook.  I pulled the trigger, I I may have an interesting side by side comparison in a few days. 

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #339 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:09 am »
Congratulations, Afterimage!   :thumb:

If you haven't seen them yet, check out the thread discussions and videos on installing a drive in the BDP2. Vipers from the UK put in a Samsung SSD and I've done so as well. You can access the drive through your network.

Many of us will look forward to your comparison. I hope the BDP2 and BDA2 will thrill you with their performance.

Best fishes,

Rich