Tour - LDR300.V25 Buffered Preamp | Part II

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Tour - LDR300.V25 Buffered (Active) Preamp
« Reply #40 on: 2 Oct 2018, 03:57 pm »
I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the remote operation found here.

https://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/product-documentation/?section=oled-v25-control-menu

It was not intuitive for me.

I agree with konut that you really really should take a few moments and review the controls structure which is summarized below. It's conceptually very simple once you "get it". But you do have to "get it".

Once you do "get it", it becomes fairly intuitive. The link above will take you to detailed explanations of each control function most of which you don't need to mess with.

In short:
1) You have a menu tree of "Control Menu Items" - the main menu if you will.
2) You scroll up and down this main menu list via the raise/lower button on the remote
3) You select the menu item of interest by pressing the center button on the remote. When you do so you will then see the Control Action display associated with that Menu item.
4) 99% of the time you will spend viewing/using the Volume/Balance/Muting Control Action highlighted in red
5) The Menu button on the remote "escapes" you back out to the main menu
6) You'll spend 100% of your time moving between the Off, Volume and Input menu items. For example to change input, press Menu button to escape out to Volume (display says "Volume"), press down to see "Input", press Enter button to select Input control action display. Then use up/down or left/right buttons to change inputs as desired.  For example to turn off preamp, press Menu button to escape out to Volume, press up to see "Off", press Enter button to turn off preamp.

SFDude

« Reply #41 on: 2 Oct 2018, 04:57 pm »
That looks like a map for The Bard's Tale role playing game.  :lol:

Going to need a decoder ring to operate the remote.  :green:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #42 on: 2 Oct 2018, 05:49 pm »
Not really. I couldn't find the remote instruction on the Tortuga website initially so I was just trying to wing it. That got me into trouble temporarily. Once I found the instructions everything fell into place. RTFM!

mikebarney

« Reply #43 on: 3 Oct 2018, 12:02 am »
I agree that the remote is pretty intuitive, with a very short learning curve.  I'm not on the tour but I'm finishing up building a balanced preamp with the V25 boards and OLED display and have been using it for a few days now.  For daily use, you only use a couple of the menu items anyhow (volume & balance from the starting screen, go down one step to change inputs, and go up to shutdown).  I find it much more intuitive and informative than the dual display of the previous setup.  The programable input labels with the OLED are also VERY nice.
Mike

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #44 on: 5 Oct 2018, 11:08 pm »
Confession of a Lazy Audiophile

I’m afraid this review will be of limited use to most of you. Why? Because I am lazy. I seldom listen to CDs anymore, probably because my source is not that good. A Sony BDP S580 Blu Ray. Almost exclusively I listen to KNKX FM, Jazz, Blues, and News stereo FM out of Seattle on a Sony XDR-F1HD tuner via a Sweet Spot Reveal Silver. I also listen to their 24 hr music channel Jazz24.org online through an ASUS ChromeBit connected to a Bryston BDA-1, via the USB input, through a no name USB cable. So those were my sources when evaluating the 300. The rest of the system consists of a Minvera SE, which I acquired 2 months ago, via 3 ft of AntiCable, Aether Audio Timepiece Minis, VMPS Super Tweeters, and Aether Audio Black Boxes. To complicate matters I live in a tiny house where my listening room is also my living room which is filled with various components for an impending kitchen remodel (LOTS of stuff). I don’t know if that enhanced or was a detriment to the acoustics of the room. Enough blabber. How did the 300 perform? Outstanding!
        When I examined the contents of the box that Morten sent my immediate impression was that I was going to have to pay special attention to not lose the remote. It’s so tiny! Not what I’m used to.
        The comparison was to the original Tortuga LDR 1. I acquired the tour unit in 2015. The 300 preserved all of the sonic attributes of the LDR 1 and enhanced the presentation in the following ways. The entire frequency spectrum was more refined. There was an ease to the sound that was less fatiguing. The extreme highs and lows were more defined and extended. On well recorded material I could hear the more body and texture in the double basses(there was some plaster that shook loose in the listening room on the common wall with the kitchen where a brick chimney had been removed)  and cymbals were sweeter and less confined. I did pop in a classical CD but all that proved was that the source was substandard. I preferred the Sony FM over the USB. Overnight they play the same material so I was able to compare the 2. and the Sony was outstanding. This perplexed me as the output voltage on the Sony was .7v with an output impedance of 2.2 kohm. In theory the Bryston should have walked all over it as it’s output voltage is north of 2.5v and an output impedance of less than 100 ohms.  Go figure.
       Comparing the LDR 1 to the 300 it became obvious right away that the 300 was a much more refined experience. The gradation on both volume and balance allowed much finer tuning. Precision is the word that comes to mind. At one point I got into trouble  exploring the various menu options and tried to return the unit to stock state. So I pressed the Reset option. Big mistake! It seemed to put the unit into some sort of zombie state. I called Morten in a mild panic. He set me straight and had me run the Cal option instead. This returned everything to normal. He encouraged me to explore the input impedance feature to get the Bryston to sound as good as the Sony. Alas being somewhat gun shy at that point I never did that, but after running the Cal it seemed that the two got closer, but the Sony still sounded better. Had I had the unit a little longer I probably would have delved into it. I should mention that with 3 inputs it was much easier to change sources, what with me having to manually change the single input on the LDR 1. Me being lazy and all, that was a BIG feature.
       I really enjoyed my time with the 300 and thank Morten for allowing me to participate on the tour.

OOPS! Forgot to mention, after a period of time there is a turtle that floats across the OLED screen. Cute!

Tubeburner

« Reply #45 on: 6 Oct 2018, 03:46 pm »
Morton, can you swap me with MttBush? I moved into a new home and revamping my audio stand. I am setting up this weekend and would like this to play for a week for a fair evaluation. I have the Tortuga LDR3V25 passive, so this will be a great comparison to the LDR300.25. I hope this works out for MttBush too.

MttBsh

« Reply #46 on: 7 Oct 2018, 01:56 am »
MttBsh here. I have no problem being moved to next in line after SFDude… I'm anxious to hear it after konuts' very positive review.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 7 Oct 2018, 03:49 am »
If there is any way I could be placed on the standby, PLEASE allow me to try this. I am very interested. Thanks very much.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #48 on: 7 Oct 2018, 07:21 pm »
Swapping the 3 & 4's spots per Tubeburner's request and MttBush's ok.

1) konut (WA)
2) SFDude (WA)
3) MttBush (WA)
4) Tubeburner(WA)
5) Ern Dog (OR)
6) ssglx (CO)
7) TJHUB (WI)
8 ) wirenut (OH)
9 ) rustyjefferson (MD)
10) audiogurujax (FL)

Standby
11) paul79

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #49 on: 7 Oct 2018, 07:22 pm »
If there is any way I could be placed on the standby, PLEASE allow me to try this. I am very interested. Thanks very much.

Ok. You're on standby. Please PM me your contact info.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #50 on: 9 Oct 2018, 02:18 pm »
Confession of a Lazy Audiophile

I’m afraid this review will be of limited use to most of you. Why? Because I am lazy. I seldom listen to CDs anymore, probably because my source is not that good. A Sony BDP S580 Blu Ray. Almost exclusively I listen to KNKX FM, Jazz, Blues, and News stereo FM out of Seattle on a Sony XDR-F1HD tuner via a Sweet Spot Reveal Silver. I also listen to their 24 hr music channel Jazz24.org online through an ASUS ChromeBit connected to a Bryston BDA-1, via the USB input, through a no name USB cable. So those were my sources when evaluating the 300. The rest of the system consists of a Minvera SE, which I acquired 2 months ago, via 3 ft of AntiCable, Aether Audio Timepiece Minis, VMPS Super Tweeters, and Aether Audio Black Boxes. To complicate matters I live in a tiny house where my listening room is also my living room which is filled with various components for an impending kitchen remodel (LOTS of stuff). I don’t know if that enhanced or was a detriment to the acoustics of the room. Enough blabber. How did the 300 perform? Outstanding!
        When I examined the contents of the box that Morten sent my immediate impression was that I was going to have to pay special attention to not lose the remote. It’s so tiny! Not what I’m used to.
        The comparison was to the original Tortuga LDR 1. I acquired the tour unit in 2015. The 300 preserved all of the sonic attributes of the LDR 1 and enhanced the presentation in the following ways. The entire frequency spectrum was more refined. There was an ease to the sound that was less fatiguing. The extreme highs and lows were more defined and extended. On well recorded material I could hear the more body and texture in the double basses(there was some plaster that shook loose in the listening room on the common wall with the kitchen where a brick chimney had been removed)  and cymbals were sweeter and less confined. I did pop in a classical CD but all that proved was that the source was substandard. I preferred the Sony FM over the USB. Overnight they play the same material so I was able to compare the 2. and the Sony was outstanding. This perplexed me as the output voltage on the Sony was .7v with an output impedance of 2.2 kohm. In theory the Bryston should have walked all over it as it’s output voltage is north of 2.5v and an output impedance of less than 100 ohms.  Go figure.
       Comparing the LDR 1 to the 300 it became obvious right away that the 300 was a much more refined experience. The gradation on both volume and balance allowed much finer tuning. Precision is the word that comes to mind. At one point I got into trouble  exploring the various menu options and tried to return the unit to stock state. So I pressed the Reset option. Big mistake! It seemed to put the unit into some sort of zombie state. I called Morten in a mild panic. He set me straight and had me run the Cal option instead. This returned everything to normal. He encouraged me to explore the input impedance feature to get the Bryston to sound as good as the Sony. Alas being somewhat gun shy at that point I never did that, but after running the Cal it seemed that the two got closer, but the Sony still sounded better. Had I had the unit a little longer I probably would have delved into it. I should mention that with 3 inputs it was much easier to change sources, what with me having to manually change the single input on the LDR 1. Me being lazy and all, that was a BIG feature.
       I really enjoyed my time with the 300 and thank Morten for allowing me to participate on the tour.

OOPS! Forgot to mention, after a period of time there is a turtle that floats across the OLED screen. Cute!

Thanks for participating and providing your feedback.

And the turtle floating across the OLED screen starts after 15 minutes of no user input and works as a screensaver to avoid burn-in of the display which can happen to OLEDs if the same image is left on for a long time. Alternatively, the user can go to the Display menu and enable/set the Display Timeout feature which will cause the display to turn off after X seconds where X is anywhere from 5 to 99 seconds.

SFDude

« Reply #51 on: 15 Oct 2018, 04:43 pm »
[SFDude's Basic Review]

Initial impressions of this unit is that it is really transparent. It doesn't impart any sonic signature (or very little of it) from the source components themselves. I used an Arcam CD72 player which is pretty smooth and liquid sounding with good oompth on the bottom end and a non fatiguing sound on the upper end. I also used my microRendu -> Exogal Comet DAC as a source into it as well, which is fairly neutral across the board.

I didn't get an extended listen as I had my parents in town but did get a good solid two days to play around with the remote and functions of the preamp. The menu was was fairly intuitive after fiddling around with it. The OLED display is a great upgrade over the previous version with the dual digit displays! It was also neat to see the turtle scroll right to left on the display after being left alone for a short duration.

I'll have more notes later but I wanted to get some quick impressions in before I ship this unit off later today/tomorrow morning to the next recipient on the Tour!

Additional notes:
  • The cable connector from the wall wart to the preamp is a bit sensitive to movement. It causes a sharp crackling noise to the speakers so BECAREFUL when you set it up and do not move it while your power amp is turned on. When you've settled with your final configuration and connections, just don't touch it for fear of moving the power connector around on the preamp.
  • This thing is transparent and imparts little to no sound in the signal path (at least to my ears). I plugged in a turntable, CD player and a streamer via my Exogal Comet DAC into it. I normally use the Exogal Comet as a preamp via its analog inputs. There was a definite veil lifted when taking the analog preamp section of the Comet out of the equation, like I could see clearer through the glass after doing a Spring window washing exercise. Cymbals and high hats had a bit more sparkle to them than I normally hear, exhibited as slightly more energy in the sound.

I don't have any additional feedback to put other than to say that the best preamp is no preamp. This thing sounds as if there's no preamp inserted in the signal path in your system. Which is, to say, a very very good thing. It worked well in my system, consisting of: Rega P5 turntable w/Denon DL-A100 cart, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ phono pre, Arcam CD72 CDP, Sonore microRendu, Exogal Comet DAC/pre, Mivera Takachi B&O 1200AS-based power amp, Spatial M3TS open baffle speakers.

I have another system which I didn't have the time to use the LDR300.V25 in but given that a tube integrated drives that, it'd be a bit of an interesting exercise using the Tortuga into one of its line inputs, just as a litmus test of its transparency!

-dave
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2018, 10:01 pm by SFDude »

MttBsh

« Reply #52 on: 26 Oct 2018, 01:20 am »
Here are my impressions after spending a week with the wonderful Tortuga LDR300.V25:

4 years ago a friend sent me a DYI version of the Tortuga LDR passive that he built and I was actually shocked by the clarity and wide open soundstage it produced. It was my first experience with a passive preamp and it hasn’t left my system since

When the LDR300.V25 arrived last week I was surprised by how small and lightweight it is compared to my older DYI version, but it’s attractive and takes up very little space, which is great. Like the other reviewers, I too liked the “tortuga” crawling across the front panel display during play.

Although I’ve been using one of the apple remotes for years on my older passive, it took me a little while to familiarize myself with the controls for the V25, but once I got it, it became very easy to use.

So how does it compare to my older version? At first, the differences seemed somewhat marginal, with deeper bass being the noticeable improvement, but the next day, after the V25 had been playing for quite a few hours, I noticed not only the deeper bass but an overall fuller sound within a wider soundstage. While listening to Steven Wilson’s remastered Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull (an album I’ve listened to more times than I can count since its release in 1972) the music came alive like never before. I’m not sure whether the tour unit is still breaking in or just needed time to warm up after being in transit, but on that second day it really opened up... it was the best my system has ever sounded.

In swapping things around, I found no discernable difference switching to input 3 (buffered) and input 2 (passive). The interconnects I used between my DAC and the V25 already include fully discrete audio buffers, maybe that accounts for my not hearing a difference.

One thing that seemed a bit odd was that the balance between left and right channels really favored the left channel, I had to shift it 50% to the right to get the perfect stereo image. Maybe I didn’t fully understand the balance controls as even at 100% left or right channel there was still sound from both speakers.

When it came time to bid a sad farewell to the V25 and I put my DYI passive back in place, I expected a bigger loss in sound quality than there was… a bit less bass and a just slightly thinner overall sound.

I do wonder why the V25 is only powered by a wall wart connection. It seems to me that, as great as it sounds, it could be taken to even a higher level of refinement with a good quality power cord. In examining Tortuga’s web page I didn’t see an option for an IEC to enable connection via power cord.

In summary, I believe it would be difficult to find a preamp that can equal the beautiful, clear, deep and refined sound that the Tortuga 300.V25 produces, especially for under $2000. Even though my older DYI model comes reasonably close, that extra depth (or, to get technical, "oomph") may be hard to live without once I’ve heard it – I may find myself upgrading to the v25 one day soon.

Thank you Morten for your generosity in letting us listen to this fine preamp in our own systems, and for creating what I consider world class Tortuga components.

My system consists of the following:

Source:    Sonore Microrendu
DAC:        Schitt Yggdrasil
Preamp:   DYI Tortuga LDR passive
Amp:        Mivera Audio Icepower 1200AS2
Speakers: Cain & Cain Abbys + Fostex 900A super tweeters, dual subs

Thanks again!

Matt

Tubeburner

« Reply #53 on: 27 Oct 2018, 03:17 pm »
I received the Tortuga LDR300.V25 yesterday. since I own the V25 Passive, I have been looking forward to this demo. I spent some time setting up the impedance settings the same as my V25 for direct comparison. If you have not experienced the wonderful change the impedance makes, then you need one of these in your audio arsenal. My initial impressions is this is a very nice sounding preamp, the notes have more weight/dynamics and I am getting very nice nuances around the notes. Soundstage is large like the V25, the bass has a little more kick. The preamp is dead quiet and I notice every note, not that they stand out, but they have a subtle nuance I didn't notice before. My wife noticed too. So more to come later. :)

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #54 on: 27 Oct 2018, 06:49 pm »
Hi Matt,

Thank you for participating in the tour and taking the time to post your thoughts.  A couple of comments....

One thing that seemed a bit odd was that the balance between left and right channels really favored the left channel, I had to shift it 50% to the right to get the perfect stereo image. Maybe I didn’t fully understand the balance controls as even at 100% left or right channel there was still sound from both speakers.

If the channel balance has drifted this noticeably then I recommend the next tour participant run the preamp through a calibration cycle - takes less than 10 minutes. Channel imbalance is sure sign that at least one LDR has shifted its performance curve after initial break-in. Unless that LDR has gone totally out of spec, running cal will center the channel balance again.

I do wonder why the V25 is only powered by a wall wart connection. It seems to me that, as great as it sounds, it could be taken to even a higher level of refinement with a good quality power cord. In examining Tortuga’s web page I didn’t see an option for an IEC to enable connection via power cord.

Given the very low current demand of the LDR300's active buffer stage (probably no more than 20-30 milliamps steady state) I decided to keep the same external DC power supply used by the LDR3.V25 passive preamp. Going with IEC/AC mains and internal transformer/rectifier/filter caps etc. would not have fit within the same enclosure making the LDR300 way more costly to build. We opted instead to go with an internal Belleson SuperRegulator (DC-DC converter) for powering the output buffer. The Belleson has a -110 dB noise reduction spec. I would argue that going with a more high performance external DC supply would have only marginal benefits that I doubt would be discernable in terms of subjective sound quality. But I can't prove that.

Cheers,
Morten  :thumb:

Here are my impressions after spending a week with the wonderful Tortuga LDR300.V25:

4 years ago a friend sent me a DYI version of the Tortuga LDR passive that he built and I was actually shocked by the clarity and wide open soundstage it produced. It was my first experience with a passive preamp and it hasn’t left my system since

When the LDR300.V25 arrived last week I was surprised by how small and lightweight it is compared to my older DYI version, but it’s attractive and takes up very little space, which is great. Like the other reviewers, I too liked the “tortuga” crawling across the front panel display during play.

Although I’ve been using one of the apple remotes for years on my older passive, it took me a little while to familiarize myself with the controls for the V25, but once I got it, it became very easy to use.

So how does it compare to my older version? At first, the differences seemed somewhat marginal, with deeper bass being the noticeable improvement, but the next day, after the V25 had been playing for quite a few hours, I noticed not only the deeper bass but an overall fuller sound within a wider soundstage. While listening to Steven Wilson’s remastered Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull (an album I’ve listened to more times than I can count since its release in 1972) the music came alive like never before. I’m not sure whether the tour unit is still breaking in or just needed time to warm up after being in transit, but on that second day it really opened up... it was the best my system has ever sounded.

In swapping things around, I found no discernable difference switching to input 3 (buffered) and input 2 (passive). The interconnects I used between my DAC and the V25 already include fully discrete audio buffers, maybe that accounts for my not hearing a difference.

When it came time to bid a sad farewell to the V25 and I put my DYI passive back in place, I expected a bigger loss in sound quality than there was… a bit less bass and a just slightly thinner overall sound.

In summary, I believe it would be difficult to find a preamp that can equal the beautiful, clear, deep and refined sound that the Tortuga 300.V25 produces, especially for under $2000. Even though my older DYI model comes reasonably close, that extra depth (or, to get technical, "oomph") may be hard to live without once I’ve heard it – I may find myself upgrading to the v25 one day soon.

Thank you Morten for your generosity in letting us listen to this fine preamp in our own systems, and for creating what I consider world class Tortuga components.

My system consists of the following:

Source:    Sonore Microrendu
DAC:        Schitt Yggdrasil
Preamp:   DYI Tortuga LDR passive
Amp:        Mivera Audio Icepower 1200AS2
Speakers: Cain & Cain Abbys + Fostex 900A super tweeters, dual subs

Thanks again!

Matt

Tubeburner

« Reply #55 on: 27 Oct 2018, 06:54 pm »
If the channel balance has drifted this noticeably then I recommend the next tour participant run the preamp through a calibration cycle - takes less than 10 minutes. Channel imbalance is sure sign that at least one LDR has shifted its performance curve after initial break-in. Unless that LDR has gone totally out of spec, running cal will center the channel balance again.

The first thing I did when receiving the tour preamp is set the impedance I prefer and run calibrations. The Tortuga does take a little time for set up, but worth it for the result. I am enjoying this preamp. :D

kernelbob

« Reply #56 on: 28 Oct 2018, 06:36 pm »
Hi all,
Regarding the wall wort power source.  Try using a 12v battery.  It's simple to assemble and takes the performance of the LDR controllers to another level.

You'll need a 2.1 mm inside diameter connector matching that from the wall wort.  Use a long enough connector cable to allow you to locate the battery in a convenient corner.  At the battery end of the cable, you can use conventional spring loaded terminal clamps or the threaded connector terminal if available.

I purchased a very large Optima 12v deep cycle marine battery which uses sealed spiral cells.  I like the idea of the sealed cells since it is located indoors.

You'll need a small trickle charger, the smaller the better.  I got a "smart" charger unit that automatically starts charging when the battery charge drops to the low 90% range (meaning less than 10% discharged) and avoids overcharging the battery.  I've never heard any sonic difference with the charger active vs. not.  You'll need to attach the charger to the battery.  I use terminal clamps for the charger.

Before you plug in the 12v battery source to you Tortuga, confirm that the polarity of the connector is the same as from the wall wort.  A small voltage difference doesn't bother my Tortugas. I use an LDRxB and LDR1B powered from the same battery.  Fully charged, the battery voltage measures in the upper end of 13v.

Sonically, the battery power supply provides a lower noise floor, wider dynamics, and better instrumental focus.  It effectivey disconnects the Tortugas from the power mains.

Best,
Robert

« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2018, 07:50 pm by kernelbob »

Tubeburner

« Reply #57 on: 8 Nov 2018, 05:46 am »
The LDR300.V25 is off to Ern Dog.

I own the LDR3.V25 Passive and I was happy to be part of this tour. The LDR300.V25 is an active preamp in comparison and the differences were subtle in system, but in a good kind of way. I feel there are a little more dynamics and a nice sparkle to the notes. The passive is clear, clean and very musical. I could live with either the passive or the active. Now that the active is gone, i put my passive back into my system and the passive is very good. So in conclusion, I like them both, but decided to order the LDR300.V25.

Source: Music server streaming Tidal or Flac Files
Dac:  Musical Paradise MP-D2 4497, Mundorf Caps/Tube upgrades
Preamp: Tortuga LDR3.V25
Amps: Lumley Reference 120 monos
Speakers: Von Schweikert VR7 HSE

Naimnut

« Reply #58 on: 8 Nov 2018, 08:14 pm »
Any chance I can sign up to be on the tour of this preamp?

I know I'm late to the party...I live in the Seattle area, so I appreciate that I missed the opportunity early in the tour schedule

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #59 on: 9 Nov 2018, 02:55 pm »
Any chance I can sign up to be on the tour of this preamp?

I know I'm late to the party...I live in the Seattle area, so I appreciate that I missed the opportunity early in the tour schedule

Thanks for your interest. Let's see where things stand at the end of the current tour list. Everyone on the current list have waited patiently for their turn so I'm not going to add/insert anyone at this point.