NC400 longevity / Stability

zenpmd

Re: NC400 longevity / Stability
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2015, 04:42 pm »
being clueless and already struggling to build these amps that is the reason i went for ghent, you have a nice iec included which has a switch and even a crimp cable set where you just plug and play - no iec soldering at all! I highly recommend Ghent

spreadspectrum

« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2015, 04:55 pm »
being clueless and already struggling to build these amps that is the reason i went for ghent, you have a nice iec included which has a switch and even a crimp cable set where you just plug and play - no iec soldering at all! I highly recommend Ghent

Interestingly, I am building a third mono-block for a center channel application, and am using the Ghent case.  It is a nice case, however, the smps standby would have to be added to that case as well - which I have already done the tooling for.  Now just waiting on Hypex - looks like mid June for the hardware :(

zenpmd

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2015, 05:08 pm »
yeah there are a few extra things I think it needs. I'd like to use a better xlr connection for a start, but ghent is so open to creating different stuff. Such a nice guy. Ive managed to persuage him to produce a speakeron back and he is doing that soon :)

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2015, 09:40 am »
Nice solution - makes it easy to add remote control later if you so wish.

clpetersen

« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2015, 05:18 pm »
Exactly. How you wire it depends on the circuit driving the relay - but I assume it will activate the relay when you want the amp on, and deactivate it for off (some circuits work the other way, activating the relay for "off"). In that case, wire the +12 V to the common terminal on the relay, and wire the normally closed one to SMPS J1:1.

Hello Julf - coming back to this thread after a bit of a hiatus. Planning a build this summer, likely using a Ghent audio stereo case. I would use the 12V system trigger (off-state, from the preamp) to close a relay (mechanical or opto-isolator), which then supplies the 5V to the SMPS pin J1:1 and perhaps lights a small yellow LED.

Question for yourself and anyone else that has done this stand-by mode: do you get any transient noises when doing this? Or is the SMPS 'smart' enough to handle power down gracefully? It would be simple enough  to use a multi-contact relay to simultaneously ground the nampon pins at the same time, but the fancier you make the plumbing ....

I believe the Ghent chassis uses two Ncore 400 modules and one SMPS 1200; need to verify this.

spreadspectrum

« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2015, 11:31 pm »

Question for yourself and anyone else that has done this stand-by mode: do you get any transient noises when doing this? Or is the SMPS 'smart' enough to handle power down gracefully? It would be simple enough  to use a multi-contact relay to simultaneously ground the nampon pins at the same time, but the fancier you make the plumbing ....

I have put the amps in and out of standby many times in the last day or so, with source and pre-amp on and have not heard a thing.

As an aside, and somewhat comically after installing the standby option, does anyone know how Hypex defines "standby?"  That is to say, what is the difference between "standby" and "off" in the nCores? 

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2015, 08:24 am »
There are two different "standby" mechanisms. One is the nAmpon mute mode that only puts the nCores in low-power mode, but doesn't turn them (or the SMPS) totally off. Then there is SMPS standby, where the SMPS actually powers down, so the amps are totally off and the SMPS is not consuming any power either. Both modes are totally quiet going in/out - the SMPS has a built-in "soft start".