Custom Modified EL84 amp for Omega

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 11 Apr 2004, 02:24 pm »
Lately there has been a lot of inquiries for a custom modified EL84 amp designed around and for the Omega loudspeaker owners.

I have decided to custom modify 3 different EL84 amplifiers based on the preferences of the owners of these speakers. The three pieces are as follows:

Jolida JD102B
Ming-Da MC84-A
Ming-Da MC84-C

These three pieces all utilize the EL84 tubes and internal modifications will be performed on a "one-on-one" basis to meet the requirements of each individual user.

More information on the Ming-Da line and of course the Jolida can be found on my website.

The Jolida 102B has been a very good match so far with Omega owners and many of prefering this unit wired for triode opperation along with a few selected modifications.

Louis O

« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2004, 01:14 pm »
Hi Bill,

Count me in with the EL-84 camp. I love these tubes, very sweet sounding and a great match with the all the speakers. The review for the Grande 6s used a stock Jolida 102B and that was an excellent combination, the modified version should be incredible.

Thanks again,
Louis

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2004, 11:46 pm »
Here is a PIC of one of the EL84 amps, our Special Edition Ming-Da MC84-A which will come standrad with the following upgrades:

Volume control upgraded
 Coupling capacitors upgraded to all SoniCap or AudioCap
 Internal wiring
 Selector switch for two inputs (rear mounted toggle)
 Optional power am conversion bypassing volume control
 Subwoofer output

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2004, 11:49 pm »
Another view

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2004, 12:34 pm »
Hi Bill,

The amp looks fantastic.
What are the specs and how much will they cost with the mods?

Thanks,
Louis

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2004, 12:43 pm »
HI Louis,
   This is one of two EL84 units from the Ming-Da line (The other, MC84C,  can be seen on my website). The amp shown above will sell for approximately $1,050 fully upgraded with 1 year warranty and upgraded tubes. It will have two inputs, via toggle, and a sub out installed. The other unit, MC84C will retail for about $100 more with the same features.

The other popular unit will be the Jolida JD102B fully modified with the option of running in triode. I have been running one of these amps in triode for over a year and the results have been excellent. List price on the Special Edition SE102B is $999.
  I am also working on a power supply upgrade for this unit as used in or SE302 and 502 pieces.