Alnico 4.5

Louis O

Alnico 4.5
« on: 4 Mar 2009, 01:50 am »
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure word got around a little that I had another fire. This one is smaller than before, but held me back a little and although my sound room at the shop is still down the woodshop is going.

The good news is I will be making the alnico 4.5" driver. I decided to go ahead with it and although it will take some time and lots of tooling I think it will be worth it.

One thing that will not change is the basket. Spent a lot to get the original basket made and going cast is too expensive. Can't do both the basket and the motor. These will be drop ins and basket will be powder coated in my bronze color.

No details yet and it will be a little while before I can update on these.

Thanks again,
Louis

Capt. Z

Re: Alnico 4.5
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2009, 03:39 am »
Have you been roasting coffee beans again?

JDK1

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2009, 03:03 pm »
Hi Louis:
When you say "drop-in", does that mean that you/we can retrofit a XRS3 or is it still too shallow a depth for the basket?
Best,
Jonathan

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2009, 03:08 pm »
Nice, I'll get a pair for my XRS.

Capt. Z

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2009, 03:45 pm »
Since I am new to this single driver thingy and high efficiency speaker I was wondering what benefits or differences there are to the HEMP driver that is presently in the Omega 3 and 5

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2009, 05:02 pm »
Hi Capt.Z,

No, just welders and blow torches. The fun never stops over here.

Hi JDK1,

They will be drop in. I'm going to use the same basket as the ferrite. The color will be different though.

Hi DaveC113,

Great news and I will post the progress. It will take some time.

Thanks,
Louis

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2009, 02:27 am »

Louis,

I know the Alnico 4.5 is still a fair way off.  But am I right to presume that the sensitivity of this speaker will be lower than your current 4.5" offering (93dB)?

Chad

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:47 pm »
Since I am new to this single driver thingy and high efficiency speaker I was wondering what benefits or differences there are to the HEMP driver that is presently in the Omega 3 and 5
Louis may be able to add to this: But the current 4.5" driver uses a ferrite magnet (as do 99+% of audio speakers). The new driver will have an alnico magnet (like its bigger brothers do now). Here is a page on alnicos... http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/about/alnico-magnets

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:36 am »
Hi Chad,

I'm trying to keep it the same. I will shoot for this and shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Alwayswantmore,

Thanks for posting the link. This helps out a lot.

Thanks,
Louis

chadh

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:40 am »

Thanks Louis.

I've got Super 3 XRS speakers with the original Fostex drivers.  If I'm likely to afford only one upgrade in drivers, would you recommend I wait around until the alnico ones are finalized?  I don't think I can make do with anything much less efficient than 93dB, since my amp is only 5w/channel.

Chad

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2009, 02:00 am »

Thanks Louis.

I've got Super 3 XRS speakers with the original Fostex drivers.  If I'm likely to afford only one upgrade in drivers, would you recommend I wait around until the alnico ones are finalized?  I don't think I can make do with anything much less efficient than 93dB, since my amp is only 5w/channel.

Chad

If I may offer my personal opinion about the Alnico v.s Ferrite Omega drivers (I hope Louis won't mind) - in short:

Do yourself a favor and wait !

(based on my short evaluation of both 8" drivers)

Mariusz

JimP

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:36 pm »
Hi Louis, any rough, rough estimate on timing for the Alnico 4.5?   I won't hold you to it :wink: but are we talking weeks or months?  thanks,  Jim

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2009, 09:35 pm »
Hi All,

Sorry for the hiatus.

Things have changed around here.

The alnico is worth the wait, but it a retrofit. Can be added later with no worry.

Thanks,
Louis

JDK1

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2009, 03:14 pm »
Hey Louis:
No problem on the wait and the retrofit...If you need/want someone to beta test, please let me know...My new Shindo Montille is looking forward to the alnicos...
Best,
Jonathan

Capt. Z

« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2009, 08:28 pm »
Hey;

I volunteer as a Beta Tester also  :wink:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2009, 12:24 am »
Me too! :green: I'm sure they'll feel at home in the Bipoles with some nice tube monoblocks for company. aa

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2009, 11:57 pm »
Great news and I will need this for sure. I hope the wait isn't longer than I think.

Need to figure how to set it into the line. I may make it an option and one speaker that it's specific to.

Thanks,
Louis

bprice2

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2009, 06:31 pm »
Hi Louis,

Just wondering if you had an idea of what these drivers will cost to buy as replacements.  If it's only a ballpark figure, it would still be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Louis O

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2009, 11:57 pm »
Hi Brett,

No info on price yet. I will try my best to keep them reasonable. I will have more info after the 4th weekend. I need to get this going now.

Thanks,
Louis

Hank Murrow

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2009, 03:40 am »
Dear Louis;

I check every day for news on the small Alnico driver, and also the Store....... but those threads remain silent. Guess I will keep checking.

Cheers, Hank