Omega and RMAF

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Omega and RMAF
« on: 15 Oct 2008, 12:37 am »
For those Omega owners who may be curious as to how they stack up to other single drivers... and multi-way  speakers... these are my thoughts:

First, for those who have never heard Omegas, they are single drivers. If extreme SPLs are mandatory, these aren't for you (peaks in the low 100 dB range at 6' are possible, add a few dB w/sub). They also may not be the best choice if you have a very large room, or if you expect impact and dynamics like a huge line array. What they do well is present an intimate, coherent presentation with speed, detail, and accuracy. Imaging and soundstaging are excellent. They most closely approximate a point source and are also phase accurate over a broad range of frequencies.

I own the XRS speakers, which cover from the mid 40 Hz range on up. They are powered by a kt88 set amp I built, which would retail in the $2k range given the parts I used. I also use a 10" sub in a sealed cab to get down to the mid 20 Hz range. 

There were only a few real single drivers at RMAF, and some augmented Lowthers. I don't think the XRS would be embarrassed in a head to head with any of them, and the 3 Feastrex loaded cabs ranged from $28k to $70k. The 5" Feastrex cabs were BLH designs and can play louder with more quantity of bass than the BR cab the XRS drivers are loaded into... however the bass is more disjointed in the horn cabs, I think a subwoofer integrates better than the output from a BLH. The lower freqs end up coming across in time with the music better and have less coloration than BLHs. As far as the mids and highs... it depends on whats playing. The Feastrex excel  in some areas like chamber music, girl w/ guitar, classic guitar, etc... but when playing more complicated music the mid-bass region is overly full and this effects the clarity of the highs. They are not as neutral  as they could be. I think the XRS are better suited for playing a broad range of music, and do not get confused and fall apart playing complicated pieces with a lot of the frequency range being used simultaneously. The Feastrex do not "fall apart" at all, but do sound colored at times.   

Compared to conventional speaker, I heard some that I'd trade in my XRS for, no doubt. However, they all cost a lot of cash.... like $10k and up. A few that come to mind are the Tidal Pianos ($17k)...these were powered by Lamm hybrid monoblocks and were pretty amazing with every kind of music I threw at them. Incredible resolution without getting annoying... The Merlin floorstanders ($10k) were also in this league, driven by Joule Electra OTL monoblocks. Ridge Street Sassons ($10k) may be there too, but I didn't get to play my own demo tracks. These are all smaller speakers that can probably play a little louder than the Omegas, but probably not by a lot. Some of the speakers in the $50k range were in another league entirely, like the Van Schweikert VR9 and the Oswald Mill solid cherry horn hybrids... and others I didn't get to hear probably.

IMO, the reason most speakers under $10k fail to compete is because they do more wrong, given my priorities. Many can't extend low enough and cross over to subs at over 100 Hz, which is a good enough reason to reject them outright. Sorry, but thats just how I feel... the speaker needs to extend down past 80 Hz minimum to get good integration with a sub, IMO. Many are not coherent and sound off... many x-overs aren't perfect, and many don't make any attempt at coherency with the x-over or cabinet design. There also seems to be an issue with tweeters, ribbons annoy me more often than not, they have this glossy metalic sound that they add to everything... many speakers with dome tweeters have more uncolored highs but the speakers just don't dissappear. Both ribbons and domes can work great, but I just don't hear it in most less expensive speakers.

Amplification is an issue as well. Omegas are sensitive enough that I can have a great 2 stage SET amp   that makes plenty of power for them without breaking the bank. Most conventional speakers need much more power, and to get a comparable quality amp will cost a lot more $$$. An example is the Ridge Street speakers, the 3 stage Ultra-Fi SET amps sounded great, but cost far more money than my similar 2 stage amp. I spent about $700 in parts, using the same OPTs and coupling caps the Ultra-Fis use, but adding an 845 power tube would at least double parts expense, probably triple it. It also triples power output, which  the RSA speakers needed.

So, I plan on upgrading to the 6.5" Alnicos. Unless I have over $20k to drop on a system, I won't consider anything else. However, RMAF does prove the point that everyone has different tastes, and they can be radically different at times. But, if you enjoy what single drivers can do, I don't think you'll do any better.

Dave       

Canyoneagle

Re: Omega and RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2008, 05:01 am »
Dave,
Great post!
I have never heard the XRS, but I have owned the Hemptone 8's and currently own the MaxHemps, and I agree that Louis makes some extremely special loudspeakers.
If I may be so bold as to expand this thread beyond the implied "RMAF" title, I'd like to see others chime in with their experiences of Omega versus other single drivers and other (multi-driver/line array/etc) speakers.

I have found that the Max's provide an intoxicatingly engaging midrange with enough bass for me not to desire more when I am enraptured in the music.  I would love to hear how his subs integrate with these phenominal speakers.

So, like you, I am very intrigued to see how these speakers compare/contrast with other efficient designs (namely Audiokinesis, Odyssey, WLM, Living Voice, et al) which are generally more expensive, multi-way designs with a similar "soul" (musicality).

This is especially true since I am  relatively new to the high-efficiency speaker, low-powered amplifier world.  I have (happily) migrated from the more typical realm of high powered amplifiers with very large, multi-way loudspeakers in the past two years.  My first pair of single driver speakers was a used set of Hemptone 8's, which I drove with a second hand DIY-tweaked battery-powered t-amp.

That is alot of hyphens!

Anyway, I was immediately seduced by this combo, particularly by the luscious midrange (with well recorded material) and by the speed and transparency it offered when compared to more conventional setups.

That said, I do sometimes long for the sheer impact and (perceived) involvement of systems which effortlessly offer that "crucial" final octave.

This is why I am curious about the DeepHemp subs, and how they integrate.

I find myself thinking ------ "should I spend $2500 on alnicos and deephemps, or should I check out ----quality speaker x---- ???"

ahhhh, yes.   The never ending pondering of the music lover / audio nut............

Anyway, I know my ponderings are not unique.

Interestingly, all it takes is dimmed lights and music FLOWING from my system, and I think - "this is blissful - I dont need anything else".

Thank you for humoring my random musings.

Warmly,
Michael

el dub

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:59 am »
I really appreciate how our deep hemp cube integrates with the 6.5" alnico bookshelf speakers. The cube is just plain quick and supple. I listen to a lot of reggae and the above combo provides a seamless presentation that's easy to dial in.

lw

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:49 pm »
Amplification is an issue as well. Omegas are sensitive enough that I can have a great 2 stage SET amp   that makes plenty of power for them without breaking the bank. Most conventional speakers need much more power, and to get a comparable quality amp will cost a lot more $$$. An example is the Ridge Street speakers, the 3 stage Ultra-Fi SET amps sounded great, but cost far more money than my similar 2 stage amp. I spent about $700 in parts, using the same OPTs and coupling caps the Ultra-Fis use, but adding an 845 power tube would at least double parts expense, probably triple it. It also triples power output, which  the RSA speakers needed.

Dave C113, nicely written. I have not heard the Ridge Street Sasson's with the Ultra-fi amp, but I know Larry says they sound incredible. Btw, I have an 845 amp based on the Ultra-fi design driving my Omega Superhemp Alnico's and it sounds fab to these ears and I will state again that my little EL84 Eico sounds great with them too.  :thumb:  :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers,
gb

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2008, 08:36 pm »
Hi Dave ,
Well written post. Omega's do hold ther own very well against the other kids on the block. I've had mine (Compact Hemps on two Deep Hemp subs) since 2/08 and don't feel the need to go any where else. Hey lets face it, there aren't any "perfect" speakers out there, but for my money and listening area Omegas do soooo many things right. :thumb:

Michael,
"should I spend $2500 on alnicos and deephemps"
YESSSS!!!  Call Louis, I think that the 8" Alnico is a drop-in on the Max Hemp, See if he will sell you a pair and a Deep Hemp along with them. You may save some cash to spend on more music. :D

Chris

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2008, 03:43 am »

I find myself thinking ------ "should I spend $2500 on alnicos and deephemps, or should I check out ----quality speaker x---- ???"

Depending on your room and what you listen to, subs might be a good idea. They will certainly move more air and add impact.

I have listened to the Maxhemps (ferrite driver) and my 4.5" XRS using the same amp, and my preference changes with mood and what happens to be playing at the time. I asked Louis if the 6.5" alnico-driver speakers would really be better or just different than those two. He didn't hesitate to say better. If this is the case, and I don't doubt it is, they will be a great value for under $2k. If I had a bigger space I might consider the 8" drivers... they aren't quite as fast and detailed as the 4.5" drivers, but are fuller and warmer. I'm hoping the 6.5" driver will split the difference.

As far as checking out "quality speaker x"... I do believe a well implemented multi driver speaker can outperform any single driver... but for me the speakers were in the $10k+ range, and there were only a couple that made the cut closer to $10k. To be fair, I haven't heard the alnico drivers yet though. Oh, and the Tidal Pianos I liked were actually $40k, not 17. There are some speakers at that price and up that are really in another league.

kbuzz3

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2008, 01:19 pm »
So, like you, I am very intrigued to see how these speakers compare/contrast with other efficient designs (namely Audiokinesis, Odyssey, WLM, Living Voice, et al) which are generally more expensive, multi-way designs with a similar "soul" (musicality).

Warmly,
Michael

Im on my second pair of omegas (narrow hemps) and enjoy them daily.  But i cant say that I have not  been tempted on the living voice line....if only they were a tad smaller.....

BossaNova31

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2009, 02:59 am »
I saw this older thread and thought I'd add my thoughts on Omega and what outstanding speakers they are at any price.

Today me, my brother in-law and a friend walked into a NYC "hi-fi" store hoping to audition some top notch tube gear (and kill an hour or so). I own Superhemps (the last ferrites) with 300b monoblocks, my brother in-law has the Super 5XRS with an Almarro 205a SEP EL84 amp, and my buddy has the new Super 6 XRS paired with a Manley Stingray.

The "VIP" listening area of the store featured some fancy $30k big name floorstanding speakers mated to 300wpc KT88 monoblocks, reference tube pre, source, etc all from the same line. Total retail system cost........$75k.

The three of us plunked down in the listening chairs and I selected a few CDs from the store's collection that we all know very well on our personal systems. What a disappointment. As compared to my Omega/SET combo, this system sounded completely lifeless and muddy. It was as if a blanket was muffling what should have been glorious music. Certainly, the bass was very impressive, but other than that it didnt sound like MUSIC to me. Vocals where particularly weak and had none of the organic qualities that the Omegas have. I kept telling the salesman to change songs halfway thru each track. I didnt have the patience to even hear a song the whole way through. My brother in-law and buddy felt the same way...They won't be trading in their Omegas any time soon :)

Now I know that there are many high powered tube systems that would be MUCH better than what I heard (my ex boss has a 6550 VTL monoblock and Mach 1 system to die for), but this experience taught me a few things.

1) The grass is not always greener on the other side of the audio merry-go-round. Yes, my system isnt the last word in bass or slam, but what it does well MORE than makes up for minor weaknesses for my listening priorities.

2) More expensive doesnt necessarily mean better. My system retails for less than 1/3 of what this "hi-fi" system costs, and quite honestly I could have put together a far less expensive system (under $10k) around my Omegas that would have smoked it still.

3) Trust your ears and not what some audio salesman tells you. When we sat down for the audition the salesman started spewing out all this BS mumbo jumbo, and I immediately called him out on it. It saddens me a bit to know that some poor fools fall for this.

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2009, 05:01 pm by BossaNova31 »

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2009, 02:15 am »
Hi DaveC113,

I need to get to RMAF this year.
Thanks for the great post and in regards to the strengths of Omega speakers you and I are on the same page. These are the most important to me. I work on improving them all the time. I can't stop trying to make the drivers and cabs better and some times I can see I drive you guys nuts with all the changes, but I can't help it. I would like to hear the speakers that you mentioned and especially the Oswald's mill stuff. The write up and all the info on the site regarding the vintage RCA drivers is very interesting to me. I hope I can learn from what they did to make better drivers.

No speaker does everything perfectly, but I try to get the best sound and performance I can at my prices. The driver and cabinet development is like a soap opera and it never ends.

I want to do one show this year and I would be very happy to make it the RMAF.

Thanks again for the terrific write up.

Louis

More to come soon

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:52 pm »
I saw this older thread and thought I'd add my thoughts on Omega and what outstanding speakers they are at any price.

Today me, my brother in-law and a friend walked into a NYC "hi-fi" store hoping to audition some top notch tube gear (and kill an hour or so). I own Superhemps (the last ferrites) with 300b monoblocks, my brother in-law has the Super 5XRS with an Almarro 205a SEP EL84 amp, and my buddy has the new Super 6 XRS paired with a Manley Stingray.

The "VIP" listening area of the store featured some fancy $30k big name floorstanding speakers mated to 300wpc KT88 monoblocks, reference tube pre, source, etc all from the same line. Total retail system cost........$75k.

The three of us plunked down in the listening chairs and I selected a few CDs from the store's collection that we all know very well on our personal systems. What a disappointment. As compared to my Omega/SET combo, this system sounded completely lifeless and muddy. It was as if a blanket was muffling what should have been glorious music. Certainly, the bass was very impressive, but other than that it didnt sound like MUSIC to me. Vocals where particularly weak and had none of the organic qualities that the Omegas have. I kept telling the salesman to change songs halfway thru each track. I didnt have the patience to even hear a song the whole way through. My brother in-law and buddy felt the same way...They won't be trading in their Omegas any time soon :)

Now I know that there are many high powered tube systems that would be MUCH better than what I heard (my ex boss has a 6550 VTL monoblock and Mach 1 system to die for), but this experience taught me a few things.

1) The grass is not always greener on the other side of the audio merry-go-round. Yes, my system isnt the last word in bass or slam, but what it does well MORE than makes up for minor weaknesses for my listening priorities.

2) More expensive doesnt necessarily mean better. My system retails for less than 1/3 of what this "hi-fi" system costs, and quite honestly I could have put together a far less expensive system (under $10k) around my Omegas that would have smoked it still.

3) Trust your ears and not what some audio salesman tells you. When we sat down for the audition the salesman started spewing out all this BS mumbo jumbo, and I immediately called him out on it. It saddens me a bit to know that some poor fools fall for this.

My experience with audio stores echos yours. We in the 'know' are surely a spoiled group, with an extra $60+K of cash left in our pockets  :thumb:

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:06 am »
Hi,

Looks like I'm having talks with other manufactures to share a room at the next RMAF. I hope it all works out and it would be great to go this year.

Thanks,
Louis

mlgill

• Industry Participant
Re: Omega and RMAF OCT 2-4
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2009, 10:58 pm »
Omega will be represented at the Fall RMAF this Oct 2-4 2009 in Room 470 along with Arte Forma SET amplifiers.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2009, 09:24 pm by mlgill »

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2009, 11:54 pm »
Hi All,

I will be there after all.

I will be participating in 2 rooms. One is SS and the other is tubes. I will have a brand new speaker in each room. Really exited about the show.

Thanks,
Louis

ZLS

« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2009, 01:21 am »
Hi All,

I will be participating in 2 rooms. One is SS and the other is tubes. I will have a brand new speaker in each room. Really exited about the show.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis,

Any hints on what type of speakers they may be? 

Mariusz

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2009, 01:30 am »
Hi All,

Thanks,
Louis

Louis,

Any hints on what type of speakers they may be?

I have an idea about at least one of them :wink:
But I am not talking. :nono:

Mariusz :thumb:

P.S

Good luck at the show Louis and have a great time!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2009, 12:35 pm »
Hmmmmm....8" OB?    :scratch:

It looks like I'll be in town for RMAF this year as well. See you there.

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:13 am »
Hi ZLS,

Will have a picture posted of the new TS

Got the outriggers finally finished.

Hi Maruisz,

I don't know if you have seen these.

Hi DaveC113,

Great news and See you there.

PS No OBs at the show. Those are for the store.