WTRP vs Simplex

Spin Lps

WTRP vs Simplex
« on: 1 May 2017, 01:54 am »
Greetings everyone.  This is my first post on audiocircle. Has anyone compared WTRP to the Simplex? If so, what are the differences. I have an older WTRP and wondering if this is just a lateral move to a Simplex. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

/mp

Re: WTRP vs Simplex
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2017, 09:07 pm »
Welcome to Well Tempered on Audiocircle. For what it's worth, I have an original Well Tempered Turntable & Tonearm but never heard the newer models. Therefore have no informed opinion.

Welcome again,
/mp
mark

Spin Lps

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2017, 04:45 pm »
Thanks, Mark!
Could you please share what cartridge and phono preamp you are using? Also, if you have used different cartridges on your WTRP, can you please share your experience. Thank you.

/mp

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2017, 08:26 pm »
My setup is pretty stable. Haven't changed anything more than digital & worn cartridges and vacuum tubes in decades. Fortunately, b/c I haven't seen the alignment protractor in years. Didn't knowingly throw it out. Just forgot where I secured it. A Van den Hul Grasshopper is mounted currently. Before that several VdH MC-One Specials, several Denon 103D, a Grado 8MZ, some inexpensive Grados, & a Monster Alpha. Left out a few short lived ones. Preamp is a Classe DR-6.

I started with F & G series Grados in an early Rega Planer 2, then a Grace F9E, then Denon DL103D. Preamp was NAD3020 then conrad jonson PV1. Rega promoted to WTT&A & preamp promoted to Classe DR-6 ~25 years ago. Cartridge impression is quality maps well to price. Different cartridges, even two of same model sound different. Personal preferences vary but Grace F9E was clearly much better than F & G series Grados; 103Ds a big step up from F9E & VdH a big step up from Denon.

Hope this helps,
[edited for content]
« Last Edit: 15 May 2017, 02:16 pm by /mp »

Gregv

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2018, 07:07 pm »
This is my WT "Complex" - a Simplex plinth that I won off eBay and heavily modded. I designed and built the arm and support structure. I removed the Simplex bearing, since I couldn't get a replacement Simplex platter and spindle, choosing to use a WTRP platter, spindle and bearing instead (I got all 3 for just $102 used). I built the lower base to give me the height for the WTRP bearing and aid in greater isolation. I relocated the squash ball feet to the bottom base. I even had an old "Non Mat" from my early WT acrylic platter days that helps fill in the dish of the acrylic platter. A friend 3D printed some of the parts for me from my designs. A new arm rest is in the works as I type.

I hope it's okay to mention the acrylic cover: Better Display Cases www.betterdisplaycases.com carries this 15" x 15" x 6" cover in stock as a regular item (I don't think they do custom sizes at present). It fits the Simplex perfectly. https://www.betterdisplaycases.com/products/acrylic-deluxe-clear-display-case-medium-rectangle-box-15-x-15-x-6 The cover is very well made and was thoughtfully packed for shipment. I am not affiliated with Better Display Cases in any way, just a happy customer - they are a veteran owned and operated business and were terrific to deal with.

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2018, 08:56 pm by Gregv »

wsill

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2019, 09:38 pm »
Wow, I love that cover. Like it on my Amadeus.