HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

The updated LS-9 dspMusik crossover is up and running.  He is taking lots of notes on the sound to post once completed.  No woofer EQ like the original at this point, until measurements are made. 

Next step will be doing the measurements for MathAudio Room EQ and listen again with the correction running for changes.  It was not subtle here when I tried it, and did very well with the FPS drivers.

My last instock HAL MS-3 and dspMusik setup are now spoken for.  All new purchases will have at least a 2 week lead time for MS-3's and TBD for dspMusik's. 

HAL

The next batch of dspMusik units should be available at the end of July.  Will keep everyone posted as I know more.

HAL

Picked up the HAL MS-3 Music Server today to get ready for CAF2016 in Rockville, MD 8-10 July, 2016.  Updates and MathAudio Room EQ installed to try in the room.

Hope to see folks there to demo the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik with the GT Audioworks planar/ribbon hybrid speakers.

HAL

Replacing the first DVD drive in a MS-2 or MS-3 to die in use out of warranty.   The user chose to do the replacement, so the replacement will be directly shipped to him.

The HAL MS-3 for CAF2016 is ready. 

HAL

The MS-3 Music Server replacement DVD drive arrived and the system is back to ripping discs again. 

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend!

HAL

Just did a fun calculation about passive crossover costs.  Since folks seem to think Duelund make the best sounding passive components, did a cost estimate for a two way passive crossover based on the LS-9 design.

With all Duelund Cast copper caps, inductors and graphite resistors the total for a two channel crossover was $83,178.00.

Since the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik system costs $2299.00 + shipping, you save enough to by a Corvette, and will compete directly in sound quality with it.  Glad I moved into the 21st century for digital crossover designs. 

HAL

The Windows 10 free upgrade offer is good until 29 July, so 23 days to go.  I would suggest making the decision early as download and install times are now about 4-6 hours. 

The MS-1 through MS-3 will all run Windows 10 64bit OS with no issues.  The MS-1 upgrade can be a little longer since it is Windows 7, where the MS-2 or MS-3 are Windows 8.1.  Have done two MS-1's now with very good results.  All the MS-2's and MS-3's here have been upgraded to Windows 10.  I just like the UI more than Windows 8.1.

The benefit for the MS-1's is that Windows 10 sounds better than Windows 7, so it is also a sound quality increase as well.

Anyone on the fence about this should make your final decision soon.  The upgrade price that I have heard after 29 July is $99.00 per machine. 

I still offer tech support on all the MS-1 through MS-3 that I have built.  I can help if needed, just let me know.  Will be doing that after return from CAF for one customer that is dropping it off at the show for the upgrade.

HAL

Just received an order for an MS-3 with a 1TB SSD to have the library internal to the system.  Will be building it after the 1TB SSD arrives for the customer.

The wait now for MS-3's will be 2 weeks from order.  All new system parts have to be ordered and with build takes that time.

HAL

Built martinr's MS-3 with the 1TB SSD and it is running.  Will be loading Windows 10, updates and the other software over the next two days.

martinr

Built martinr's MS-3 with the 1TB SSD and it is running.  Will be loading Windows 10, updates and the other software over the next two days.

Thanks Rich, you are working quickly after CAF...I appreciate it!

- Martin

HAL

The MS-3 has all the software and Gustard X20u USB driver loaded and doing it's final 24 hour run check before packing to ship to Martin.

HAL

Forest Dwellers MS-1 has been updated to Windows 10 and Audio Weaver is installed to run his dspMusik for his LS-9's.  Boxed up and ready to ship.

martinr's MS-3 with the 1TB SSD running Windows 10 is finished and boxed up ready to ship.  USPS run after they reopen after lunch.  It is a small office!

Next, updating an MS-2 with Windows 10. 

HAL

martinr has his MS-3 Music Server and looking for feedback after he gets a chance to set it up.

Forest Dweller should have his MS-1 running Windows 10, Audio Weaver and MathAudio Room EQ once he can pick it up.

The demo MS-3 will be coming back after his comparison to his MS-1 machine.

HAL

The next update to Windows 10 OS starts tomorrow.

If you have things loaded on your MS-1, MS-2 or MS-3, today is a great day to do a backup!  You never know when there is a big push of software to everyone and there is no way to stop the process, it is part of how Win10 is designed.

Hope everyone is ready as it is time again to delve into the future.

*Scotty*

This will be fun. Let's hope they don't greatly increase the operating system's footprint and resource requirements over its current configuration.
Scotty

martinr

martinr has his MS-3 Music Server and looking for feedback after he gets a chance to set it up.

Forest Dweller should have his MS-1 running Windows 10, Audio Weaver and MathAudio Room EQ once he can pick it up.

The demo MS-3 will be coming back after his comparison to his MS-1 machine.

So far I have burned approximately 80 Redbook (and 1 HDCD) discs to the server.  The server has worked flawlessly.  I have over 200 hours of playing time on it so I feel it is well broken in....if any of you have considered taking the leap from a disc spinner to digital music I highly recommend Rich's server.  Although I still have a way to go to complete the transfer (rip) of my 600 redbook CDs to the server, making this transition to a music server with the MS-3 has been relatively simple.  In my case Rich loaded the Gustard X20 Dac software for me and loaded foobar, exact audio copy and the sound processing program (which I have not yet used).  So the dac was configured and ready to start ripping discs to without any manipulation on my part.  Getting the Gustard dac to read DSD 128 from foobar took me a couple of tries at the foobar settings but rich had installed the foo-asio plug in, I just had to set up foobar correctly for use with my Dac and driver.  Basically this has been a very smooth transition from redbook to digital.  My system has never sounded better.  I feel I have a high end digital sound stage when playing old or new music.  I haven't compared the sound of the MS-3 to other servers so I can't compare but I can tell you for the money I spent on the server with a 1TB hard drive fully configured to support my Dac I don't think I could have gotten a better deal anywhere.  (And I haven't used the sound correction software yet,....am waiting for the microphone via Amazon).  So thank you Rich for assembling a fine product and helping digital novices like me get into high-res digital.  This has been a huge leap in sound quality for me.  The detail I get from this front end is at times jaw dropping.  On a final note, Rich has responded immediately whenever I have a question.  If you are considering purchasing a server, keep the MS-3 on your list to try.

:thumb:
- Martin

HAL

martinr,
Glad you are enjoying the MS-3 with the Gustard X20u DAC.  Your comments are very much my observation and that of all the other MS-1 thru MS-3 owners I have talked to.  I never met a CD player or CD Transport and DAC that sounded this good. 

Thanks!
Rich

HAL

Interestingly, I tried to force the Windows 10 Anniversary update on my MS-2 and it would not go to the site to do the download via update manager.

Will be watching for when it actually does the Anniversary update.

Phil A

I just added some files to my MS-2 and MS-3 and also did some file re-tagging on the MS-2.  Neither machine prompted me for updates.  On other updates, they did not seem to happen (did not pay tons of attention) on the same day for whatever reason.

martinr

I forgot to mention...how much fun I am having converting all of my redbook CD's to high res DSD 128!...I love this server!  I have it attached to my home group so I can read and write files from all three computers in my house....just great!   :D