Swapped out FX120, swapped in F120A

floobydust

Swapped out FX120, swapped in F120A
« on: 26 Oct 2007, 09:03 pm »

I finally decided to swap out the FX120 drivers in my small 10-liter ported enclosures posted earlier. It will take some time for them to break in but some early playing (and listening) has revealed that they are capable of providing better detail and focus, especially with high-frequency content like cymbals. The F120A sounds more realistic with this type of content. Of course it will take some time to fully break them in but in contrast to the FX120 (which I do like) these are starting out better  :D

Regards, KM

jrebman

Re: Swapped out FX120, swapped in F120A
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2007, 09:24 pm »
Did you notice any real differencein overall sensitivity?

Man, I sure hope they don't run out of these before I can buy a pair.

-- Jim

floobydust

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2007, 09:49 pm »
Did you notice any real differencein overall sensitivity?

Man, I sure hope they don't run out of these before I can buy a pair.

-- Jim

Zero difference in sensitivity. However the FX120s were off by close to 1 dB in matching, the F120A pair are spot on. The F120A drivers are also labeled as "Laboratory Series" so they should adhere tighter to published specs. Madisound currently shows "sold out" for them. However Adam might order another grouping. He did this recently for 8 more but alas they're gone already. In any case I'm putting more time on them into the evening here... they are shining more and more on stuff. The difference in not subtle, which is good because these little guys are more than twice the price of the FX120... which are well over the price of the FE126E and more than the FE108E Sigma drivers which have done so well in multiple designs. No doubt, they are special.

Regards, KM

revs

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2007, 10:02 pm »
Hi KM,

Would it be too much trouble if you posted a couple of more pics with the new drivers in. I've been following your other thread with great interest. Also would it not have been better to have put the port at the back?
I can't seem to find the design of your enclosure on the fostex site.

PS Very nice 45's :)

floobydust

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2007, 10:22 pm »
Hi KM,

Would it be too much trouble if you posted a couple of more pics with the new drivers in. I've been following your other thread with great interest. Also would it not have been better to have put the port at the back?
I can't seem to find the design of your enclosure on the fostex site.

PS Very nice 45's :)

Hi Revs,

I snapped a quick pic showing my speaker lineup... The Quads are still my reference and of course a certain "Southern Gentleman's Horn" is displayed. And thanks for the Kudos on the 45 amps. They have actually exceeded my expectations. I just got in another superb matched pair of 45s and the output noise on both "in-operation" are below 150 microvolts unweighted.

Regards, KM

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2007, 11:03 pm »
As a F200A owner, I thought you'd like the F120A more.   

Wait until after 250 hours  :wink:, but give them 500 hours to totally break in. 

Like Ed says, 4 - 5 inch drivers should be ideal, but I wanted the extra bass (without complication), better efficiency, and higher possible sound pressure levels.

Gawd it looks cute.

floobydust

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2007, 11:27 pm »
 Agreed, I was thinking about picking up a spare pair of the FX120s but not anymore... no reason. The F120A is already outshining them with a day's worth or signal. I wish I had switched earlier but I really got to know the FX120 drivers pretty well.

As for the enclosure dimensions, I did that based on some T&L parameters and some freeware, massaged it a bit, calculated around a smallish front baffle size and a deeper profile. The sides, top/bottom are 3/4-inch thick plywood which has 11 plies if memory serves me right. Front/Rear are 3/4-inch MDF and the front has the 1/4-inch cork which flushes up to the driver frame. The sides and top/bottom are lined with Blackhole Pad (the 1/16-inch thick droopy stuff) and rear is lined with Blackhole Pad 5 (which is fun to cut). Edison-Price Music Posts are on the rear and internal wires are a pair of stranded mil-spec 19ga oxygen-free copper with silverplate in teflon insulation. Port is on the front as I used the supplied recommended enclosure type as a model for this one. The next pair will be different... just need some free time to glue them up.

Internal dimensions are:
Overall size:   12.5" high x 7.0" wide x 10.0" deep
Inside dimension: 11.06" high x 5.56" wide x 7.75" deep

Regards, KM

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2007, 12:54 am »
Louis at Omega did a few F120A in BR cabinets that looked of similar size and proportion.

Its just that my F200As are in 46 inch x 12 inch x 14 inch TLs.  Its really cool to see the smaller version.

floobydust

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2007, 03:23 pm »
 They keep getting better. I did some pure vinyl till the wee hours the other night. The F120A provides significant improvements is low-level detail. After having compared the frequency response plots of the FX120 and F120A per Fostex PDFs I was inclined to add a T90A at the very top. Having spent some time with them, I'm no longer so inclined.

I will build a another modified enclosure shortly with some changes in overall dimensions, thicker walls and a 2-piece stepped baffle that doesn't block the rear framing so much.

Needless to say, I much happier with the F120A than the FX120 and would easily recommend it over the FX... if you haven't bought the FX120 yet, probably better to spring for the F120A in you can or if they're available.

Regards, KM

jrebman

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2007, 08:58 pm »
Well, Santa Claus, disguised in his brown UPS uniform just dropped off a pair of F120As.  Pretty impressive little critters.  These definitely won't fit in my "mini-Abby" pipes though.

I do find that my definition of "hexagonal mounting flange" differs slightly from the published info as mine seem to have 8 sides -- basically square with the corners cut off near each of the 4 mounting holes.  If the FX-120s are this same kind of "hexagon" :D, then they should just drop right into the little pipe's existing mounting holes.

-- Jim

floobydust

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2007, 09:09 pm »
 Hmm, what can brown do for you? Deliver my F120A thank-you!

Yes, the F120A has an octagonal frame mounting which is kinda relative here. The FX120 is identical to the F120A mounting frame. Only the depth is different due to the change in magnet structure.

Enjoy the F120A drivers, they are really nice.

Regards, KM

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2007, 08:44 am »
Jim,

TWQP/transmission line owners have added material to thicken the front baffle at the driver to obtain the necessary mounting depth for beefer drivers.

skite30

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2007, 10:58 pm »
Parts express has a 10.7 liter pre made cabinet that looks plretty good. What size port are you using. Looks like a really cool and easy project.

floobydust

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2007, 01:42 am »
 I used the port tube recommended via the Fostex enclosed datasheet. 50mm ID on the port (about 2 inches) and was 85mm length. And yes, a simple project overall... but I've not used the Dayton cabinets before. Building the ones I did was fairly inexpensive until I added the Blackhole products and the E-P Music Posts... but time costs... so the added price the pre-made box might be worth it.

Regards, KM

skite30

« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2007, 07:14 pm »
I don't know about the quality of the cabinets. I have done a couple of diy projects and after viewing them I would be better off buying premade ones. Thanks for the port info.