GRS-3 vs Neo 3

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: GRS-3 vs Neo 3
« Reply #120 on: 8 May 2021, 12:31 am »
Got the graphs from Danny, as well as the Neo10 graphs.

So for reference, here's the original Neo10 on-axis response in the super mini frame:

Here's the GRS 10:

Despite its rising response peaking at 110dB, It seems to be a little more effecient and can play a little lower than the original BG10.

Here's the response of each with only an inductor in the circuit:

BG Neo10:

GRS10:

The hump at 700Hz needs to be brought down with a notch filter, vs the BG model that only has a 2nd order filter, but it definitely is a workable alternative!  :thumb:

Here's the original Super-mini response including the GR Neo3, both using a 2nd order filter.

Here's the GRS10 using the same 2nd order filter, without a neo3/GRS3 to match it.

Didn't get a chance to include a notch filter in the results, but its still good to hear it should actually be a pretty good alternative for those looking to build a SuperMini/ Lineforce, without hunting down the BG units!

Cheers! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 8 May 2021, 02:50 am by Hobbsmeerkat »

DA

« Reply #121 on: 8 May 2021, 12:32 pm »
Thanks for sharing this data. Good to know the GRS 10" can cover down lower than first thought with a little crossover work to get a flat response. Looking forward to trying it out.

david45

« Reply #122 on: 9 May 2021, 12:38 am »
+1
Thank you for sharing this data  :D

wolp

« Reply #123 on: 1 Jul 2021, 03:50 am »
In the case that some people have actually bought and tried the GRS-3 or PT2522-4, can anyone confirm that they sound as good as they measure?
I'm thinking of using them in an OB design, but i'm happy to shell out for the GR Neo 3 and the much higher cost if the difference is worth it. John

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #124 on: 14 Jan 2022, 05:12 am »
The BG8 (equiv) units have a natural roll-off under 500hz.  How does high power at low frequencies affect these things?  Is it essential to high-pass filter them?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #125 on: 14 Jan 2022, 05:40 am »
The BG8 (equiv) units have a natural roll-off under 500hz. How does high power at low frequencies affect these things?  Is it essential to high-pass filter them?

I certainly would. Pushing bass frequencies, especially at higher volumes for extended periods is likely to cause them to burn up, as planar and ribbons tend to distort pretty badly as excursion requirements increase.

For -3dB point of 500Hz, I would look at a cap value of 40uF to act as a high pass filter. Then cross it over to a woofer somewhere below that point.

mkane

« Reply #126 on: 15 Jan 2022, 07:57 pm »
Danny did some quick testing today with the GRS-10 clone in the Super Mini baffle.
He said it was a workable alternative, it just needs a notch filter to bring down a hump around 600-700Hz by a couple dB, but seems to measure better than in my own testing.

I believe some wanted to use them to make a LineForce since they're fairly priced & BG Neo10s haven't been available, especially lately, and they should work pretty well once the changes to the crossover are made.  :thumb:

I'll update once Danny has a chance to email the measurements.

Reading this thread makes me believe I can possibly put my Super Seven top hats to use temporarily at least. I've been Jonzsen to listen to these.

Edit: read the entire thread and HAL says the 10's won't fit the baffle cutouts. It would be a real hack job if I tried to enlarge the cut-outs.

SpielbergAudio

« Reply #127 on: 10 Feb 2022, 11:38 pm »
This is fascinating, would be interesting to see these compared to the HiVi RT-1, and the Infinity Emit .

SpielbergAudio

« Reply #128 on: 10 Feb 2022, 11:42 pm »
GRS-10, GRS-8 vs Infinity Emim vs Dayton AMT-4 Pro, vs LFT-10

durwood

« Reply #129 on: 5 Apr 2024, 05:27 am »
Is this project still alive or is it dead? I am finally trying to put some drivers to use I have collected years ago with grand ambitions. I picked up some faceplates and now have started experimenting, just missing the back cups and was hoping to 3D print some.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #130 on: 5 Apr 2024, 07:00 pm »
The GRS10s weren't as viable as we had hoped.

If you just need back cups, I believe I can still print some for you no problem as I still have the files necessary to print them