Sonore DIY USB Interface - USB to i2s interface

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
Re: Sonore DIY USB Interface - USB to i2s interface
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2014, 11:37 am »
i just received this board... plug into my mac its not detected.... The USB PG led is light up though but nothing happens... some jumpers i need to connect ? The output voltage from the voltage regulator on the USB PG shows ~1.26V.

You need to apply 5VDC at J30.

Jesus R

flowerpot

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2014, 11:55 am »
You need to apply 5VDC at J30.

Jesus R

Thanks for the fast response... also for the fast shipment :) Will try later... This infor was not mention... Is there a manual that is available ?
I assume the OSF is switch 1 ? There are 2...

Would be good if there is a manual since it's meant for diy... Barrows also mention about the external 3.6v support... How or where do I apply this ? Thanks...

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2014, 12:03 pm »
Thanks for the fast response... also for the fast shipment :) Will try later... This infor was not mention... Is there a manual that is available ?
I assume the OSF is switch 1 ? There are 2...

Would be good if there is a manual since it's meant for diy... Barrows also mention about the external 3.6v support... How or where do I apply this ? Thanks...

Switch 1 turns the OSF on/off. Switch 2 is not used. I'll have Barrows explain the first stage regulator bypass feature.

Jesus R 

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:22 pm »
flowerpot:

As Jesus has mentioned, you must supply power to J30, 5-6 VDC allowing for up to 300 mA draw.

To turn the onboard OSF on, set switch 1 to on.  When the OSF is on, all incoming PCM will be oversampled to 352.8/384.  Switch 2 should be left in the off position.

To bypass the first stage of onboard regulation, put a jumper across J35, and then supply 3.6VDC (this needs to be a precisely regulated low noise supply) at J30.

The following LEDs indicate power for the two isolated sections:
D6 indicates the presence of power for the USB receiver side
D5 indicates the presence of power for the FPGA/clocks side.

Please feel free to ask any other questions which you might have here.

flowerpot

« Reply #24 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:41 pm »
Thanks Barrows...

i have a few diy PSU on order, once they arrives i will try them out...right now i don't have a spare 5V supply on hand unless i tap from the same power from the usb receiver...
Now i understand how the board is power up... its pretty similar to the joro xmos board i am currently using... this power scheme is good, but it renders my ifi iusb power to be less useful... maybe i will use the iusb at the front end to power the corning usb optical cable i have on order....

flowerpot:

As Jesus has mentioned, you must supply power to J30, 5-6 VDC allowing for up to 300 mA draw.

To turn the onboard OSF on, set switch 1 to on.  When the OSF is on, all incoming PCM will be oversampled to 352.8/384.  Switch 2 should be left in the off position.

To bypass the first stage of onboard regulation, put a jumper across J35, and then supply 3.6VDC (this needs to be a precisely regulated low noise supply) at J30.

The following LEDs indicate power for the two isolated sections:
D6 indicates the presence of power for the USB receiver side
D5 indicates the presence of power for the FPGA/clocks side.

Please feel free to ask any other questions which you might have here.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:46 pm »
flowerpot: understood.  Please post your impressions here once you get everything up and running.  And of course allow for around 24 hours, or perhaps a bit more, of time being powered up as the clocks need to stabilize-they will achieve best jitter performance after a few days of being powered.

randytsuch

« Reply #26 on: 14 Aug 2014, 03:22 am »
Could this replace an Amanero board?  It does basically the same thing, USB to I2S, including DSD.

One feature the Amanero provides is an output to indicate to the DAC if playing DSD or not.  My DAC uses that output as it was designed for an Amanero.  I could add a switch, but the automatic output is a nice feature.

Randy

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 14 Aug 2014, 04:19 am »
Could this replace an Amanero board?  It does basically the same thing, USB to I2S, including DSD.

One feature the Amanero provides is an output to indicate to the DAC if playing DSD or not.  My DAC uses that output as it was designed for an Amanero.  I could add a switch, but the automatic output is a nice feature.

Randy

First answer yes, it can replace an Amanero.  Second answer, not exactly: this board does more than Amanero, the Amanero does not offer isolation of the output and clocks from the USB input, this board does.  The Amanero also does not offer the OSF which this board has as well.  The oscillators used on this board (Crystek CCHD Series) are also lower in phase noise than what the Amanero has, resulting in lower jitter.
As for DSD flagging: the board has onboard LEDs which indicate PCM or DSD playback, we have an alternate firmware which allows the signal to the LED to instead be used to signal the switch to DSD.

randytsuch

« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2014, 04:22 am »
First answer yes, it can replace an Amanero.  Second answer, not exactly: this board does more than Amanero, the Amanero does not offer isolation of the output and clocks from the USB input, this board does.  The Amanero also does not offer the OSF which this board has as well.  The oscillators used on this board (Crystek CCHD Series) are also lower in phase noise than what the Amanero has, resulting in lower jitter.
As for DSD flagging: the board has onboard LEDs which indicate PCM or DSD playback, we have an alternate firmware which allows the signal to the LED to instead be used to signal the switch to DSD.

OK, when I compared to the Amanero I was talking in general terms.  I wouldn't be asking if I didn't think this board would be an improvement over the Amanero, since I already own one  :wink:

One more question.
Is there a timeframe for DSD256 and DSD512?

Randy

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 14 Aug 2014, 12:02 pm »
OK, when I compared to the Amanero I was talking in general terms.  I wouldn't be asking if I didn't think this board would be an improvement over the Amanero, since I already own one  :wink:

One more question.
Is there a timeframe for DSD256 and DSD512?

Randy

DSD256 and DSD512 are already implemented, but without verification as noted. I have a system here that can support the rates, but it's under development and I can't use for this now...

Jesus R

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 14 Aug 2014, 01:55 pm »
Randy: one other thing to consider: does your DAC take masterclock from the Amanero now, or do you have a separate masterclock?  The Sonore USB is set up for the ESS chips, so the masterclock is at 45.158 and 49.152.

randytsuch

« Reply #31 on: 14 Aug 2014, 02:58 pm »
Randy: one other thing to consider: does your DAC take masterclock from the Amanero now, or do you have a separate masterclock?  The Sonore USB is set up for the ESS chips, so the masterclock is at 45.158 and 49.152.

This is my DAC
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC32/index.html

I have the first version, the major difference is they added isolation on the I2S lines in the 2nd generation board.

This DAC has a 100 Mhz Crystek to provide its own master clock.

I have connected a Raspberry Pi to this DAC connecting data, bit clock and word clock and ground from the pi and it worked fine, sounds pretty good actually.

Randy

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 14 Aug 2014, 06:17 pm »
OK, ya I have seen that one.  If there is an easy way to supply master clock from the USB interface it will probably sound better.  My experience with the ESS 9018 is that it sounds better (more natural, less digital) with synchronous clocking, which allows the ASRC and DPLL to basically drop out.  But of course if one does it this way one must make sure that the incoming data stream is really low jitter, and the masterclock supplied is clean.  The Sonore interface is designed to be able to work very well via synchronous clocking, but of course it works fine the other way as well.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2014, 04:11 am »
Hey, for anyone using the interface, or interested, I just built a really trick 3.6 VDC power supply, and bypassed the first stage onboard regulator on the USB interface.  I am now getting the best sound I have ever heard out of my Buffalo DAC.  Of course, I built a crazy supply, haha:  Bridge with my favorite ONsemi ultra soft diodes, then a capacitor multiplier filter section (which cuts the ripple down to nothing), followed by a carefully tuned Salas shunt reg.  Many thanks to Salas over at diyaudio for advice and the Cmultiplier.  I figured going all in on this supply made sense, since I am using the masterclock feed from the interface to clock everything.
So, it is definately worth experimenting with ultra low noise supplies at 3.6 VDC.

dnewcomer

« Reply #34 on: 31 Aug 2014, 03:52 am »
Help connecting to TPA buffalo II.

from the USB interface, should i use BCLK,  or MCLK,  if MCLK, is there something I need to do on the buffalo ?
also, where is good place to get GRD on the USB interface ?

thanks

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 31 Aug 2014, 02:39 pm »
There are two ways to connect the interface to the Buffalo DAC:

1. Synchronous clocking.  This method allows one to synchronously clock the ESS chip, the advantage of doing so disables the asynchronous sample rate converter and DPLL in the ESS chip.  In my opinion, running the ESS chip in synchronous mode sounds more natural, probably because you do not have the artifacts resulting from asynchronous re-sampling of the data.  To run in synchronous mode you connect all four connections to the Buffalo: master clock, bit clock, word clock, and data, and then you remove the Trident regulator which provides power to the clock onboard the Buffalo DAC (you are now using the master clock from the interface instead).

2. Asynchronous clocking.  If you want to run the ESS chip in asynchronous mode, just connect bit clock, word clock, and data lines, and leave the Trident regulator in place on the Buffalo.  In synchronous mode the DAC is using the onboard master clock, and asynchronously re-sampliong the data.

Ground is connected via the U.FL cables, there is no need to connect a ground anywhere else to the interface  (of course the power supply also has a ground connection).  Note that the interface ground is also connected to chassis (if you use a metal standoff) through a resistor and a capacitor at one of the standoff mounting positions.

cab

« Reply #36 on: 31 Aug 2014, 03:20 pm »
does this output 8 channels of i2s like the exasound usb->i2s board?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 31 Aug 2014, 03:32 pm »
does this output 8 channels of i2s like the exasound usb->i2s board?

No, the Sonore USB interface is a stereo product.

dnewcomer

« Reply #38 on: 31 Aug 2014, 04:01 pm »
what size of u.fl are used on the usb board ?
since i currently did not have any u.fl cables, is it ok to solder to pads directly behind.

for buffulo II.
also, just confirming, the trident for master clock is the one for  vdd_xo?   so remove L7 to
disable mclk power . ( i currently am not using the trident modules, so I assume, if i want to
restore using the buffulo master clock, i would just acquire/install the trident power module . )
(based on what I read in leonvb-Buffalo_II_Integration_Guide_V1.0.5, page 7  )

dnewcomer

« Reply #39 on: 31 Aug 2014, 04:15 pm »
 I was confused in looking at the u.fl cables,  are the different sizes just for the cable
and not the diameter of the connector itself.