enclosure Lowther dx3

mcintoshfan

enclosure Lowther dx3
« on: 6 Mar 2013, 08:52 am »
Hi,

I Have two Lowther dx3 drivers and would like to build a small type enclosure for them. (BLH)

Can someone help me out?

ejfud

Re: enclosure Lowther dx3
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm »

mcintoshfan

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:35 am »
On that last design, How does the enclosure look on the inside?

Is it just hollow with a port in the bottom?

ejfud

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm »
That's correct. Nice an easy.

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:29 am »

Lowther PM2C on an OB with a pair of AE Dipole 15 woofers in offset H frames, best Lowthewr set-up I have ever heard in my room. You unload the Lowther from bass duty and allow it to reproduce everything above 300 Hz. Works equally well with other Lowther drivers, DX3 would be a great substitute in this type of set-up.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2013, 02:06 am »
Hi Martin,

Yowza!  May I ask what is the rationale behind the offset in the H-frame?  From the picture, it looks like the H-frame's baffle is moved forward (i.e., not in the middle of the H-frame, depth-wise)?

MJK

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2013, 12:08 pm »
I was looking at a shallow H frame, but when I centered the baffle the huge magnet was going to stick out the back and look like crap. So I started looking at a U frame but started to get concerned that the driver was at the front, cost a bit, and I was worried about it getting damaged by accident. So I recessed the driver baffle 2 inches to give it some protection, hide the magnet, and still have a shallow enclosure. The calculated response for all three options (U, H, and offset H) was so close it really was not a big performance trade-off.

Final external size was 17.25 inches square and 11.75 inches deep that can get down into the 20 to 30 Hz range. Pretty compact for a 15" woofer going that low compared to a boxed speaker. Two per side run in parallel to produce enough SPL to match a Lowther full range driver. Since the bass units are paired yet independent, I have enough flexibility to use only a single unit and mate it with a different OB or boxed system. Or I can stack them to reduce the footprint on the floor.

I like the bass output, I love the Lowther sound, so it is a good simple pairing in my opinion.

MJK

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2013, 02:34 pm »

In room system SPL response at my listening position.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2013, 04:13 pm »
Hi Martin,

Wow, nice.  That's a lot better than my system / room (I haven't managed to tame the room modes yet).

I'm wondering if your response is less "room mode dominated" because you're using OB?  I do see what looks like the typical 8-foot ceiling ~70Hz peak.  Is the 35-40hz bump also due to room dimension, or perhaps you put that peak in there with EQ as part of the overall bass strategy?

MJK

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:13 pm »
Hi Robert,

My room definitely has a 40 Hz response, it is approximately 14 feet in two directions with 8 ft ceilings (70 Hz hump as you noted). I have carpeting on the floor, a large quilt hung a few inches out from the real wall, and a couch, no other intentional treatments.

The plot has 1/3 octave smoothing applied, with less smoothing the response gets more ragged. But the 1/3 octave curve is pretty good at describing the overall balance of the SPL response. I would love to have a bigger room but this is what I got, I have not really had a bad sound with any of my speaker builds in this room.

Martin

Scottmoose

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2013, 09:21 am »
I'd call that a pretty decent response. :) Nice one Martin.

babgrip

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:09 pm »
Not exactly small but I have a pair of Hedlunds Up for grabs