Help deciding between the Tekton Lore, ZU Audio Omen and Hoyt Bedford 1.5

HiFi Buck

I have narrowed it down to three different speakers. Just need a little help in deciding. I have spoke to both Eric at Tekton and Sean at Zu, just waiting for a callback from Hoyt. Really close to making a decision but just want a little extra help from those of you who have heard these speakers. Thanks.

plakey

I will be interested in the outcome. I'm eyeing each of those myself. What is your amp?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Haven't heard them but Sean at Zu is top notch to deal with.   :thumb:

HiFi Buck

I have one of Integra's better mid level AVR's, the Integra 7.8. Eric said that it would work really good with the Tekton's. I am also going to be purchasing another integrated amp, probably the Decware SE84C+ or one of two Dayens, the Ampino or Menuetto, that I will have an Oppo 95 hooked up to for strictly CD and SACD playback, plus some FLAC, and other music I have saved on a thumb drive. So I should add that it's important that the speaker I do decide on can serve multipurposes. They will go in a mutimedia room and will be ran the Integra AVR for movies, shows, concerts or sports via DirecTv, Bluray's via the OPPO or PS3 and video games via the PS3 and XBOX 360. Then when I want to listen to music only I will switch to the OPPO 95 and Decware/Dayen setup. So once again, I need a speaker that will excel in all categories not just for music. But music is a VERY important part of the purchase as I listen to a lot of music in my multimedia system. 

HiFi Buck

I agree with you. Sean is a VERY cool guy to deal with plus he is a snowboarder so we have more than just a passion for audio in common.  :D

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I would go with the Hoyt Bedfords.

I have heard a few Zu speakers, I have not heard Tektons but have heard quite a few Fostex based speakers, and I have not heard the HB 1.5s but I have heard older Maxhemps with the same ferrite 8" driver and IMO they are a step above any Fostex based speaker and a better value vs. Zu, which uses a supertweeter you may or may not like...

However, if I was to buy a new pair of speakers, it would be Omega 6" Alnico XRS. IMO the best reasonably priced single driver available.

Gopher

If you go with the Omens would they let you get nanotec drivers as an upgrade?  If so that would be my choice! 

ejfud

What music are you drawn too? That info would help for comparison purposes.

Me, I like the Hoyt's.

sebrof

I would go with the Hoyt Bedfords.

I have heard a few Zu speakers, I have not heard Tektons but have heard quite a few Fostex based speakers, and I have not heard the HB 1.5s but I have heard older Maxhemps with the same ferrite 8" driver and IMO they are a step above any Fostex based speaker and a better value vs. Zu, which uses a supertweeter you may or may not like...

However, if I was to buy a new pair of speakers, it would be Omega 6" Alnico XRS. IMO the best reasonably priced single driver available.

Neither Zu Omen nor Tekton Lore have Fostex drivers.

I owned Omens and Lores at the same time and compared them side by side with a 2A3 SET and a 100watt EL34 amp. First in my 12' x 13' room, then in a friend's bigger room (18' x 22' or something close to that). My assessment was that in my smaller room (2A3 SET) where I drove the speakers more gently they sounded very close, I preferred the Lores. In the larger room when pushing louder to fill the space they started to diverge, and the Lores began to sound better. I thought the Lores sounded "better" and both my friends thought the Lores sounded a lot better. Neither of them had any knowledge of price and neither Zu nor Tekton were brands they were familiar with (they own Wilsons and Martin Logans).
Having said that, I really liked the Omens but after hearing the Lores I sold them.
I had 1 occasion to require service from Zu (I broke something) and they were much more than fair, great guys with outstanding service.
I have spoken and eMailed Eric (Tekton) a number of times and he is also a great guy. I also own his Katz Meow speakers (Fostex Drivers).

Bottom line - The Lores cost less and I believe they are a better speaker.
Can't speak to the HBs.

HiFi Buck

What music are you drawn too? That info would help for comparison purposes.

Me, I like the Hoyt's.

That's just the thing. My music genre is very large. I don't listen to just one style of music. I really like it all and want a speaker that can be versatile and play it all, not just sound great with one style of music and just okay with another. I listen to everything from Miles Davis and Chris Botti, Norah Jones, Ani DiFranco, to Metallica, Rage Against The Machine and Slayer. I really like it all and want a speaker that is capable of playing most music without a subwoofer. I only use my sub for bass heavy hip hop or Dub Step. With saying that, I do like to play my music and movies loud at times but I don't abuse my speakers and I am not trying to recreate concert or club levels of volume. Just loud enough to put a smile on my face.  :D

jacozz

to Metallica, Rage Against The Machine and Slayer.
In that case, I would choose the Lore hands down.
I've yet to hear any "single driver" speaker do well with metal and other big scale compressed music. The Lores seems to be more of a classic High Efficiency 2-way design and should work really good as a "allround speaker"

Here's a review for ya:
http://www.stereomojo.com/TEKTON%20MLORE%20SPEAKER%20REVIEW/TektonM-loreSpeakerReview.htm

Rocket

Hi,

Have you had an opportunity to hear any of these speakers?  I've read quite a bit about the Tekton and Hoyt Bedford speakers.  The Tekton's interested me more because they went quite a bit lower and I prefer a full sound with reasonable bass.  Louis O. does have a very good reputation on this forum and its worth considering his speakers as well.  I think he might have a subwoofer combination as well which might be worth checking out.

I'm sure all three speakers would sound great though.   Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
I have Lore's and I'm very happy with them. Dynamics,precision and balance in tones are out of this world. Yes,it come down to music you are listening. I do love Nine Inch Nails,but also any good quality recording. There is long old story behind Sean and Eric so it is no surprise at all that people can decided between them. Ritchie

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
In that case, I would choose the Lore hands down.
I've yet to hear any "single driver" speaker do well with metal and other big scale compressed music. The Lores seems to be more of a classic High Efficiency 2-way design and should work really good as a "allround speaker"

Here's a review for ya:
http://www.stereomojo.com/TEKTON%20MLORE%20SPEAKER%20REVIEW/TektonM-loreSpeakerReview.htm

Have you actually heard the Hoyt Bedfords? IMO they are very versatile and do rock really well. All Omega speakers are very versatile and stereotypes about what kind of music you can play on them do not apply. I will say there are better choices for that kind of music, but that would be something like a GR Research LS-9, certainly not the Zu or Tekton.

The biggest issue I have w the Zu and Tekton is the tweeter.... I also disagree the Lore is classic 2 way, its a full range driver with a tweeter added... not even close to a classic 2 way speaker.

yeldarb

Another Lore owner here.  I really like my Lore speakers, they have better bass than you would expect and, when I feel like blowing the cobwebs out, really can rock.  My previous mains were Dynaudio MDY3 from Madisound (now in closet).  They had an incredible soundstage back to front and side to side, but needed subs.  The Lores sound more dynamic, like real music, and with no added subs, seem to be more coherent from the bottom end.  I drive the Lores with a Sonographe solid state amp, which I am sure will never see clipping, considering the efficiency of the speakers.  I also once hooked up a wee tube amp and it sounded great too.  You will find references to the tweeter in the Lore having a rising response curve.  If you take the trouble to look that driver up you will find that, yes, it does.  But ON AXIS!  Eric located the tweeter below the main driver, so, unless you're slumping in your chair, you are off axis, where the output of tweeter is much flatter.  I don't find them hot by any means.

For point of reference I have Madisound BK 16 in another room, sitting on Parts Express Titanic 10 subs.  This system is hooked to a Norh SE9 tube amp and is nice to listen to, but I think I prefer the Lores.

jacozz

Have you actually heard the Hoyt Bedfords?
Nope.
But... I have the Visaton B200 in my OB, (The B200 used to be in one of the omega-speakers, "A8" if I recall correctly). I also have the Tangband 1772, Jordan JX-92S, and the fostex 107e. And I've heard the Voxative, Fostex 206, Fostex 126 and a couple of other drivers..

They all got quite different sonic signature, but they also have one thing in common. They all fall flat when pushed with Hardrock/Metall/Hardcore or/and Large orchestra in Forte Fortissimo on semi high SPL.
No surprise there, since that is one of the shortcomings with the single driver concept.

You can't change the laws of physics. IM-distorsion will be a factor sooner rather than later.

Having said that, the best fullranger for allround music I personally have experience with is the Tangband 1772. All the others I own are... pretty bad allrounders, especially the little fostex:s.

I also disagree the Lore is classic 2 way, its a full range driver with a tweeter added... not even close to a classic 2 way speaker.

I believe you are a bit wrong here. Although there is no official information, I found this in another tread:
Steve and I popped the woofer out of one of the Lores to see the crossover, which looks like a simple 2nd order two way topology.  Based on the values of the tweeter caps, I’m guessing the crossover frequency is somewhere between 6 and 8khz.  This points to a design difference between the Zus and the Lores.  While Zu custom builds their driver to run it wide open with no crossover, the Lore uses a stock Eminence driver and crosses it over like most two-way speakers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104895.80

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Nope.
But... I have the Visaton B200 in my OB, (The B200 used to be in one of the omega-speakers, "A8" if I recall correctly). I also have the Tangband 1772, Jordan JX-92S, and the fostex 107e. And I've heard the Voxative, Fostex 206, Fostex 126 and a couple of other drivers..

They all got quite different sonic signature, but they also have one thing in common. They all fall flat when pushed with Hardrock/Metall/Hardcore or/and Large orchestra in Forte Fortissimo on semi high SPL.
No surprise there, since that is one of the shortcomings with the single driver concept.

You can't change the laws of physics. IM-distorsion will be a factor sooner rather than later.

Having said that, the best fullranger for allround music I personally have experience with is the Tangband 1772. All the others I own are... pretty bad allrounders, especially the little fostex:s.

I believe you are a bit wrong here. Although there is no official information, I found this in another tread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104895.80

Lol, Omega hasn't used other brands of drivers besides their own for YEARS. I don't know why you ASSUME they are the same. They aren't. I have heard the exact driver that the HB uses and IMO you are COMPLETELY WRONG, especially when you ASSUME that the Tekton speaker can do better. Without ever hearing the two...  :duh:

And I'm not going to argue about whether you think the Lore uses a "classic" 2 way design... it has a freakin' whizzer cone for gods sake! If you're going to suggest a speaker to "rock out" to, none of the OP's choices are close to ideal.

ejfud

They all fall flat when pushed with Hardrock/Metall/Hardcore or/and Large orchestra in Forte Fortissimo on semi high SPL. No surprise there, since that is one of the shortcomings with the single driver concept.

I've found that the shortcoming you described has a lot to do with poor recordings as well.

I do think the Jordan's can play loud with good results, but the quality of the recording makes a huge difference.

HiFi Buck

Hi,

Have you had an opportunity to hear any of these speakers?  I've read quite a bit about the Tekton and Hoyt Bedford speakers.  The Tekton's interested me more because they went quite a bit lower and I prefer a full sound with reasonable bass.  Louis O. does have a very good reputation on this forum and its worth considering his speakers as well.  I think he might have a subwoofer combination as well which might be worth checking out.

I'm sure all three speakers would sound great though.   Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

No, I haven't heard any of these speakers yet. I will be going to the RMAF in October so maybe some will be on display there. I don't know if I want to wait two months to purchase a new set of loudspeakers though. And I am in complete agreement with you about bass output and a fuller sound. I listen to most my music in "Direct" mode on my AVR which bypasses any kind of processing and the sub plus plays my towers in full range. I just like the way it sounds without the sub. So a speaker that can play pretty low as well as play full range is really important. That's why the Lore is also high on my list.

HiFi Buck

Lol, Omega hasn't used other brands of drivers besides their own for YEARS. I don't know why you ASSUME they are the same. They aren't. I have heard the exact driver that the HB uses and IMO you are COMPLETELY WRONG, especially when you ASSUME that the Tekton speaker can do better. Without ever hearing the two...  :duh:

And I'm not going to argue about whether you think the Lore uses a "classic" 2 way design... it has a freakin' whizzer cone for gods sake! If you're going to suggest a speaker to "rock out" to, none of the OP's choices are close to ideal.

So from your comment, none of the three would make for a great all purpose speaker?