WTB, a solid entry level turntable

buckeyefanandy

WTB, a solid entry level turntable
« on: 6 Apr 2011, 11:33 pm »
Getting ready to add vinyl to the mix, and looking for a nice turntable.  Anyone have one they dont use?  Any suggetions?

Ericus Rex

Re: WTB, a solid entry level turntable
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2011, 11:51 pm »
This one looks pretty righteous:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92529.0

(disclosure:  STS9fan is a friend of mine but it's still a pretty righteous table!)

BPoletti

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2011, 12:01 am »
I've got a VPI HW-19 MkIII that will probably go on the market soon.  It's probably an 8.5 of 10.  There is a small buffed area on the platter that is purely cosmetic.  An arm comes with it, but one of the cart clips needs to be soldered back onto the lead.  Black with a dust cover and an extra belt. 

I'm not using it, but I don't think I have the original packing.  Could probably pack it carefully enough to get it to most places in the lower 48 though local pickup (near St. Louis, MO) would be preferably. 

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2011, 12:08 am »
Well this one invokes as many rants as discussions of cables.

I've been quite happy w/ my P3-24 and there are lot's of reviews that state it's near the top of the heap on entry level decks. Rega seems to fall into that 'love it or hate it' camp. Some people just can't buy into Roy's low mass philosophy.

I jumped on because I found a brand new one for a steep discount on A'gon.

I've not compared to any other modern low priced decks, but I know it kicks the crap out of my first introduction to vinyl, a Thorens TD-165.

I personally think the stock feet are the weak point and it benefits from some nice brass points on a thick maple platform.

I'm running it w/ a Denon DL-160.

Strong points: very musical. gets the PRAT thing right. very low noise all around. In fact, I'm amazed at the lack of noise given my past experiences w/ vinyl. (and that includes both surface and motor noise)

Weak points: At least w/ my pre and cart.....somewhat small SS. Still getting some low end feedback if I crank the subs. Need to explore better iso.

I'm sure one can do better on the used market, but for new, this is a nice piece of kit.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2011, 12:20 am »
Do you need an entry level phono pre-amp???

Alexdad54

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2011, 12:30 am »
In the spirit of the original poster as I'm also looking, what's the difference between a Rega P-3 and a P3-24?

bside123

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2011, 12:47 am »
Getting ready to add vinyl to the mix, and looking for a nice turntable.  Anyone have one they dont use?  Any suggetions?

Hi Buckeye: Your request is so entirely open ended, that you might generate more helpful responses if you could mention at least some specifics. For example: 1) What do you mean by "entry level." For that matter... what do you mean by "nice." 2) Budget? 3) Used / New? 4) Any other preferences or requirements: Size, DD, Belt, etc. 5) How much use? (As you stated you're just getting back into vinyl.) 6) The need for a phono stage? Budget?

Just trying to be helpful, and as another poster mentioned, without at least some specifics it leaves your request open to rants and raves and guys who have every kind of turntable imaginable for sale.  :thumb: Best Regards. 

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2011, 01:20 am »
I think bside nailed it. What for me might be a 'nice piece of kit', might be a joke to some. It all depends on your expectations and more important, your wallet.

The Rega P3-24 seems to have gotten uniform praise from the press as a good 'entry level' deck. Now I know reviews are to be taken w/ a grain of salt, but in this case every write up I've seen appears to concur.

I'm not trying to sell anyone Rega tables. I mean Roy is not writing me any checks!

A number of very knowledgable people here like the Technics SL-1200. Sonically, it may kick the crap out of my deck, but I just didn't care for the DJ look. That might be a poor way to decide on audio gear, but that's just me. In fact, I wanted a classic Linn LP-12, but I realized that I didn't have the knowledge to wade through all the different varients, know how to set it up and plus....they're still really pricey.

As to Alex's question. As far as I can tell, the diff between the old P3 and P3-24 is mostly the new one adds a much better motor. (quieter and more stable) Plus the new motor can use an outboard speed controller. The plinth is supposed to be more rigid and the arm has gone from a thru plinth design to a surface mount. Some people claim it's better, some carp that it was just a cost cutting measure.

Honestly, I'm not sure it was all worth it. I love some of the things I hear from analog. I get a kick out of shopping for used vinyl. But I have a pretty killer digital front end, and I'm not sure if I'd been better served getting upgrading my speakers. (or just investing the money)

Hope you had core vinyl guys don't bring the hate down for me saying that. It's been fun, and I've appreciated all the advice I've gotten here while on my analog odyssey.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2011, 04:16 am »
VPI would be high on my list... :green:

I've got a VPI HW-19 MkIII that will probably go on the market soon.  It's probably an 8.5 of 10.  There is a small buffed area on the platter that is purely cosmetic.  An arm comes with it, but one of the cart clips needs to be soldered back onto the lead.  Black with a dust cover and an extra belt. 

I'm not using it, but I don't think I have the original packing.  Could probably pack it carefully enough to get it to most places in the lower 48 though local pickup (near St. Louis, MO) would be preferably.

BPoletti

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2011, 04:21 am »
VPI would be high on my list... :green:

If you want to, PM me and we can discuss.  The arm is an FT-3.  Good enough for beyond entry level cartridges.  I might have an extra cart laying around to sweeten the deal. 

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2011, 04:32 am »
I am new to vinyl, but do have a preamp(s) with phono stage.  One tubed audio mirror, and one ss ps audio.

I entered this arena about 5 years ago and have been piecing a rig together on a budget.  Today, I am nearly finished with the rehab on a Victorian home where I have created a "man cave" out of a very large (now finished) attic.  Now I plan to move slowly and modestly, but looking at this as an investment in my sanity.

I recently acquired a pair of speakers that will be the center of my room (Chapman T-8), and will be sticking with my Odyssey Stratos amp until I can make a move (way down the road) to Pass Aleph 0 monos or something similar. 

I have only a cheap digital source after I downsized all my stuff when we started the rehab.  I do have a great (small) collection of some blues and jazz albums from a friend that is all about vinyl.  I would like to take this first step, but don't want to invest heavily in time or money until I test the vinyl market. 

I am not sold on the lower end regas not big on MDF, but might consider a 3.  But I have not hear any vinyl other than my friends Sota star, and a linn from another buddies place, but they were listening to music that i did not care for, so I did not take the time to listen close.

I am concerned that if I go too cheap, then I might miss out on the full experience.  If I had a choice I would shoot for the $600 range, and would like to be under a grand.

I like vintage, but don't want to tweak or repair all the time.

In my experience there is a balance to strike between the best of the entry level, and the bottom of the next level where your trade off is either quality, performance, or brand.  I like to maximize the quality and performance by finding the value rather than price point.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2011, 04:46 am »
Looking at a   Oracle Alexandria, VPI Sout, among others, but with so many variables I makes me wish I could go back to a nice digital front end, but...

i like the hands on nature of the tt, and the ritual of vinyl.  Also looking forward to the thrill of chasing down the music.

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2011, 06:00 am »
Skip the Oracle alexandria unless you know it to be perfect.  I've bought defective ones twice now....

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2011, 11:06 am »
I have a Clearaudio Concept mounted with a Clearaudio Maestro MM cartridge that seems to be collecting more dust than spinning records. In my opinion, it's about as solid an entry level table as one could hope for. It would run a little more than what you said you wanted to spend but I'd be willing you make you a great deal on it if you were interested. It might be Clearaudio's entry level table but it's a real honey. Add their top MM cartridge and I think it's a table you could live with for a real long time.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2011, 12:45 pm »
my first choice would be a used oracle delphi that is (or can be) updated to at least mkv spec.  if you are willing to wait, you may get away w/spending $1k or even less, if updates have not been done.  (which would give you an upgrade path.)

if you don't have $1k to spend (or even if you do), my second choice would be an empire.  the earlier unsuspended iterations allow easier mounting of an aftermarket arm; these are killer decks.  if you are relatively patient, you can find a nice empire, and mount something like an o-l rb250 on it, and be under your $600 figure.  i would choose this over anything else near its price...

doug s.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2011, 01:57 pm »
I have an Empire 598 table that I am thinking of selling for $375.  It is in great shape.  I would include an original(also in very good shape) Empire cartridge.  If you wanted the Audio Technica MLA440 cartridge I was running on it, it would be another $100.

I also live in Northeast Ohio, so you could come and look at it and listen to it as well and if you like it take it home.  BIG PLUS in not having to ship TT's. :thumb:

Thanks,

Randy

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #16 on: 7 Apr 2011, 02:28 pm »
Randy, I am always up for an audition.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2011, 02:29 pm »
Skip the Oracle alexandria unless you know it to be perfect.  I've bought defective ones twice now....

But if you do find one in great condition and fully functional they are sweet tables

chef hans

« Reply #18 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:26 am »
YOU LIKE ?
 :D

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #19 on: 8 Apr 2011, 03:44 am »
Looks great, what is it? How does it perform?  Where do you get one, and what do they cost?