Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle

JohnnyB

Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2010, 06:37 pm »
James,

Where do we plug the USB Stick into the unit?

If it is on the back, that would not be very convenient for me.

Thanks, JohnnyB

werd

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2010, 06:39 pm »
James,

Thanks, JohnnyB

right in the front, look at it closely

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2010, 06:47 pm »
James,

Thanks, JohnnyB

Hi Johnny,

One on the front --- two on the back.

james

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2010, 09:26 pm »
Hi James, looks great
 What is the height in inches or millimeteres of the type on the display?
What type of display is it? LCD, VFD?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 5 Jun 2010, 09:44 pm »
Hi James, looks great
 What is the height in inches or millimeteres of the type on the display?
What type of display is it? LCD, VFD?

I think VFD but I will have to check.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #25 on: 5 Jun 2010, 11:01 pm »
Looks good, James! Thanks for sharing this with us!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jun 2010, 02:03 am »
James,

will the BDP-1 be delivered with the remote BR-2?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2010, 02:25 am »
James,

will the BDP-1 be delivered with the remote BR-2?

al.

Hi Al,

No the remote will be optional.

james

Stu Pitt

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jun 2010, 02:39 am »
James,

Please forgive my ignorance; I'm a little slow.  I'm still trying to figure out what excatly the BDP-1 is actually doing.  Maybe asking this way will help me understand it better...

I have all my music ripped from CDs using iTunes Apple Lossless with error correction.  I have them stored onto an external hard drive (Seagate 1TB that looks pretty similar to the one in the pictures).  I also have an iPhone.

I run an Apple TV (music is synched to its hard drive) that I can control using my iPhone that feeds a DAC.  Is basically what I'd be doing is replacing the Apple TV with the BDP-1 by connecting my Seagate hard drive to it?

I guess what I'm really asking is will the BDP-1 read and play the music on my hard drive without anything else attached to it (other than a DAC)?

Will Apple Lossless work, or would I have to convert to another format like WAV, FLAC, etc.?

I have wifi, which I assume is how the iPhone will 'talk' to the BDP-1.  Any other function of wifi in this regard?

1ZIP

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jun 2010, 03:43 am »
James,

I guess what I'm really asking is will the BDP-1 read and play the music on my hard drive without anything else attached to it (other than a DAC)?

From what I understand, that's how it works.  Stand alone hard drive with music stored on it to BDP-1 "player" to DAC to Pre-amp to sonic bliss.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 6 Jun 2010, 12:21 pm »
James,

Please forgive my ignorance; I'm a little slow.  I'm still trying to figure out what excatly the BDP-1 is actually doing.  Maybe asking this way will help me understand it better...

I have all my music ripped from CDs using iTunes Apple Lossless with error correction.  I have them stored onto an external hard drive (Seagate 1TB that looks pretty similar to the one in the pictures).  I also have an iPhone.

I run an Apple TV (music is synched to its hard drive) that I can control using my iPhone that feeds a DAC.  Is basically what I'd be doing is replacing the Apple TV with the BDP-1 by connecting my Seagate hard drive to it?

Will Apple Lossless work, or would I have to convert to another format like WAV, FLAC, etc.?

I have wifi, which I assume is how the iPhone will 'talk' to the BDP-1.  Any other function of wifi in this regard?

Hi Stu,

The BDP-1 gets its digital files from a USB Drive directly attached to it.  So it can be a Thumb Drive or a USB Harddrive.  There is NO STREAMING going on - it is a direct connection between the USB drive and the BDP-1. There are 3 USB ports on the BDP-1 - 2 on the back and 1 on the front.  So connect your large USB Hard Drive(s) to the rear and use the front USB port for smaller playlists using your USB (or your buddies) thumb-drive.

The network is only used to allow access to view and manage your playlists over the home network. You can use an itouch or iphone or web browser interface. We plan on offering our own web-bowser interface.

If you would rather not manage your playlists off the network or just want to listen without being connected to the home network then the front panel display and buttons allow you some limited management.

james

Robert D

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jun 2010, 12:27 pm »
James, can you post a Pick of the Rear Panel … Input/ output Connections    :drool:

Thanks Robert   :thumb:

Looks Great hope it Comes in Black 17”

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 6 Jun 2010, 12:34 pm »
James, can you post a Pick of the Rear Panel … Input/ output Connections    :drool:

Thanks Robert   :thumb:

Looks Great hope it Comes in Black 17”

Still working on the rear panel layout.

james

KeithA

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jun 2010, 12:57 pm »
I guess my new iPad may have another use :wink:

I may be tempted by this unit..we'll see. If I do get one it would be an easy 'shoot-out' with the Transporter fed via wi-fi to see if there is any significant difference.

I suspect the Transporter is still more user-friendly......but it would be curious to test to see if the Tranporter and wi-fi really does pale in comparison.

Any ballpark figures for where MSRP will be for BDP-1?

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 6 Jun 2010, 01:07 pm »
I guess my new iPad may have another use :wink:

I may be tempted by this unit..we'll see. If I do get one it would be an easy 'shoot-out' with the Transporter fed via wi-fi to see if there is any significant difference.

I suspect the Transporter is still more user-friendly......but it would be curious to test to see if the Tranporter and wi-fi really does pale in comparison.

Any ballpark figures for where MSRP will be for BDP-1?

Keith

Hi Keith,

The thing I notice with the BDP-1 is you get 'clarity' without any of the hard/glassy digital artifacts that seem to plague digital reproduction.

I had 2 audiophile listeners over on Saturday and they could not believe they were listening to a Thumb-Drive let alone 44.1 files :thumb:

Hope others are pleased by the results as well.

Retail should be about $2,100 US

james

brucek

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jun 2010, 02:12 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
.........The BDP-1 gets its digital files from a USB Drive directly attached to it.  So it can be a Thumb Drive or a USB Harddrive.  There is NO STREAMING going on - it is a direct connection between the USB drive and the BDP-1........

Perhaps best to remove the inference to streaming in the literature where it reads: "The USB device streams the stored digital music content in its native sample rate and bit depth into the BDP-1 Digital Player".

:)

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 6 Jun 2010, 02:40 pm »
Perhaps best to remove the inference to streaming in the literature where it reads: "The USB device streams the stored digital music content in its native sample rate and bit depth into the BDP-1 Digital Player".

:)

brucek

Good point!- thanks.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #37 on: 6 Jun 2010, 03:55 pm »
I think this will be an awesome product.
The design and concept are great.

The MSRP is what gives me pause:
When you have to spend a lot of money on all other separates - preamp, power amps, DAC, another $2100 gets tough, especially when cmpared against a product like the Slim Devices Touch at $300, for us average Joe audiophiles.

I don't doubt that the performance will be outstanding, but a lower price point is my only comment.  A price point that starts with a '$1k' rather than a '$2k' may gain you more success.  (albeit, I don't know your production costs)

Phil A

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jun 2010, 04:24 pm »
I think this will be an awesome product.
The design and concept are great.

The MSRP is what gives me pause:
When you have to spend a lot of money on all other separates - preamp, power amps, DAC, another $2100 gets tough, especially when cmpared against a product like the Slim Devices Touch at $300, for us average Joe audiophiles.

I don't doubt that the performance will be outstanding, but a lower price point is my only comment.  A price point that starts with a '$1k' rather than a '$2k' may gain you more success.  (albeit, I don't know your production costs)

The Squeezebox Touch may make more sense for me as well at this point.  However, don't deceive yourself on $300 being the end all on audiophile sound.  Add a good after market linear power supply and you are out around another $500.  Add some mods to the digital section and you are right at that $1k price point.  I like the interface of the Squeezebox device and I am not in a rush to buy anything.  I'd like to see it in person in action as well as the Bryston.

KeithA

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jun 2010, 05:29 pm »
I agree with the others, $2,100 is a lot more than expected. It would be interesting to compare to the Transporter, though.

Keith