WyWires Proudly Announces a New Line of Digital Interfaces

cryoparts

Re: WyWires Proudly Announces a New Line of Digital Interfaces
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm »
Hey Alex,

Furutech makes some nice BNC's, as does Oyaide.  The Canare and Amphenol are nice too, just make sure to get the 75ohm version, as you know.

USB connectors are tougher, the only way to get really good ones is to have them custom made, which incurs a tooling charge, and a wicked gigantic MOQ, I know from experience... :duh:

The cables look great!

Lee

werd

« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:32 pm »
I personally wouldnt wait for a bnc. If you have a Radio shack stop by and get one ofthose adaptors. Atm using that adaptor on a wywire and an Atlas rca between my bdp and bda. Its a non issue for degradation. 

cryoparts

« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:33 pm »
I personally wouldnt wait for a bnc. If you have a Radio shack stop by and get one ofthose adaptors. Atm using that adaptor on a wywire and an Atlas rca between my bdp and bda. Its a non issue for degradation.

You should see the degradation to the waveform when the proper impedance is not maintained,  It's ugly. 

wywires

« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:35 pm »
You should see the degradation to the waveform when the proper impedance is not maintained,  It's ugly.

I'm also not a big fan of adapters.

werd

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:37 pm »

You can get both adaptors, i am using a bnc (adaptor) out of my bdp and rca into my bda. It sounds leet  :thumb:. could stop by and get another one for the bda in but haven't bothered yet.

cryoparts

« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:40 pm »
a. It sounds leet  :thumb:.

Nice use!

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:41 pm »
Alex, send me the new cables and I'll shoot some pics for you.

wywires

« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2011, 12:01 am »
Leet, woot??? Too much hockey, I guess

wywires

« Reply #28 on: 20 Mar 2011, 12:03 am »
Alex, send me the new cables and I'll shoot some pics for you.

I'll send them on Monday...Thanks!

cryoparts

« Reply #29 on: 20 Mar 2011, 12:05 am »
w00t!

werd

« Reply #30 on: 20 Mar 2011, 12:10 am »
Not as hirez as the cable but

wywires

« Reply #31 on: 20 Mar 2011, 12:24 am »
Thanks werd...looking forward to your reaction when you have a chance to listen and compare.

tonyptony

« Reply #32 on: 20 Mar 2011, 07:03 pm »
You can get both adaptors, i am using a bnc (adaptor) out of my bdp and rca into my bda. It sounds leet  :thumb:. could stop by and get another one for the bda in but haven't bothered yet.

I'll echo what cryoparts and wywires already said. Using adapters will really affect the transmission characteristics of a properly built BNC cable. Pretty much ruin the return loss figure. Maybe doing a BNC adapter on a RCA cable isn't that bad since you're not dealing with a true 75 Ohm device to begin with (regardless of what anyone says there is no way to make an interface with true 75 Ohm characteristics over an extended frequency range from a RCA connector - not physically possible), but the other way around is self-defeating.

Fortunately or unfortunately, most digital gear is outfitted with RCA jacks so I guess proper digital transmission seems not to be too important to the industry.

Sorry for the rant, but this has been a real sore point with me for years. The audio industry decided to collectively shoot itself in the foot by deciding RCA connectors were "good enough" for digital, mostly because they were cheap and handy. The effect on signal reflection and jitter is still with us. Some makers stood their ground but they're in the minority. BNCs would not have made the problems go away like magic, but why make the problems worse?

No more soapbox for a while.

werd

« Reply #33 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:06 pm »
I'll echo what cryoparts and wywires already said. Using adapters will really affect the transmission characteristics of a properly built BNC cable. Pretty much ruin the return loss figure. Maybe doing a BNC adapter on a RCA cable isn't that bad since you're not dealing with a true 75 Ohm device to begin with (regardless of what anyone says there is no way to make an interface with true 75 Ohm characteristics over an extended frequency range from a RCA connector - not physically possible), but the other way around is self-defeating.

Fortunately or unfortunately, most digital gear is outfitted with RCA jacks so I guess proper digital transmission seems not to be too important to the industry.

Sorry for the rant, but this has been a real sore point with me for years. The audio industry decided to collectively shoot itself in the foot by deciding RCA connectors were "good enough" for digital, mostly because they were cheap and handy. The effect on signal reflection and jitter is still with us. Some makers stood their ground but they're in the minority. BNCs would not have made the problems go away like magic, but why make the problems worse?

No more soapbox for a while.

If there were ample examples of BNC cables floating around it might be easy to find a good connect. This is not the state of industry. Taking any cable and throwing a bnc on it will not make it a better cable. What you are suggesting here is fitting bnc automatically makes it a better connect over an rca. That is not true. The best way imo is to find the rca you like best and adapt, unless the company offers it in BNC and you can get one. Until everybody jumps on board with bnc this is the only way imo.

I can pretty much guarantee that Wywires in rca - bnc adaptor will take down most others in bnc. I am not sure if his fitted bnc will sound like his rca ?

tonyptony

« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2011, 10:56 pm »
If there were ample examples of BNC cables floating around it might be easy to find a good connect. This is not the state of industry. Taking any cable and throwing a bnc on it will not make it a better cable. What you are suggesting here is fitting bnc automatically makes it a better connect over an rca. That is not true. The best way imo is to find the rca you like best and adapt, unless the company offers it in BNC and you can get one. Until everybody jumps on board with bnc this is the only way imo.

I'm not suggesting that at all. What I am suggesting is that a proper BNC cable should have always been the standard coax interconnect for digital gear, and that adding an adapter to a digital cable will compromise its return loss / signal reflection characteristics.

IMO if you had gear which was BNC outfitted and had properly designed 75 Ohm input / output stages, you would not want to use any RCA cable with adapters over a properly designed and built BNC cable. You may still wind up picking one BNC cable over another to get what you like (just like with RCA), but at least you'll have an improved signal transfer characteristic.

There are few examples of this in audio only because the industry shied away from it at the beginning of the digital age.

I think we're sort of saying the same thing. :)