In and Out (Why you left audio only to come back)

jrtrent

Re: In and Out (Why you left audio only to come back)
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2010, 10:50 am »
They collect possibly an entire system very carefully over the course of a few months to a couple of years, then poof!... it all either goes on Audiogon or in the garage.

I guess I've never had that experience.  As a kid, there was always music in the home, mostly played on a Sears Silvertone console Mom had had prior to marrying Dad.  We had a variety of tastes, with older brother liking rock, younger brother into progressive jazz trios and quartets, Dad liking big band jazz, Mom with classical and gospel, and I gravitated to country and bluegrass.  My older brother and I eventually had systems in our bedrooms.  Mine was a BIC 960 turntable, Pioneer integrated amp, and EPI 100 speakers.  Except for a turntable change (Garrard GT55, then a Thorens TD146), that was my system for six years.  Over a three-year stretch in the mid-'80's, I assembled a system that satisfied me for the next 20 years, Linn LP12/Ittok/LK1/LK2/Saras. 

These components eventually began to fail with age and use, and for a couple of years my system was in flux as I tried components with strengths different from what I've enjoyed in the past (Well Tempered, low-output Grados, Audio by Van Alstine electronics, Vandersteen speakers).  Circumstances led to selling my house and moving to a small apartment.  Many of the new components have been sold or are currently on consignment with a local audio dealer.  I've found a system that fits my ears and living space in my old LP12/Ittok, Audio by Van Alstine solid state electronics, and Bose 301 speakers.  Through all the change, I never stopped enjoying listening to music, which has been a primary source of entertainment my entire life.  I still like bluegrass, but also listen to more gospel, classical, and jazz. 

I need a system that's engaging to listen to, but the hobby has always been more about the music than the equipment.  For me, a good turntable and amplifier can be partnered with downright cheap transducers (I use an AT CN5625AL cartridge and the previously-mentioned Bose speakers) to produce fully satisfying music.  I'll use the proceeds from my remaining equipment sales to fund an overhaul of my old LP12 (new motor, power supply, main bearing, suspension parts), but, apart from a possible speaker change should I move to a different place, I think I'm done with box-swapping for at least the next 10-15 years.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2010, 01:46 pm »
I never really left but the interest in audio certainly took a backseat for many years.  Growing up, work, owning a business, marriage, other interests, they all got in the way.
I grew up on vinyl and tape and set that aside when CDs came out.  That was the latest and the greatest and all of the albums and tapes were just old junk from a bygone era.  I never sold them off but they never got used anymore, either.
I built up my CD library and the longer I listened to CDs the more I kept upgrading my systems and the less I actually listened to them because nothing ever sounded quite right to me.  Something was always just a little bit "off" but I couldn't quite figure out what it was.
It was only on getting a decent turntable and, more recently, a reel to reel deck that my love of audio returned.
The sound that I was missing was there all along.
I'm an analog guy in a digital world.

To my knowledge I've never met Steve Ford, but the above story is nearly perfectly paralleled to my own.  Wow - weird :o

I went cold turkey from 1994-2000 (gear fully packed up and listened to an old Panasonic BoomBox, primarily) to focus on marriage/family, new business, etc. and because music sounded horrible at that time with digital.

All except the purchase of the Reel-to-Reel.  I hope I'm happy enough with a bevy of turntables for my fix :wink:

John

turkey

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:21 pm »
When it comes down to it, the (very) personal love of music and the commercial machine that high-end audio wants to be seem to me to be at fundamental odds.

Perhaps a more fundamental divide is between the personal love of music and the music industry. The large media companies would love to be able to sell music like you'd sell toasters and waffle irons.

I don't see a conflict between audio equipment manufacturers and my love of music, because my love of music does not depend upon the equipment I am using. My stereo system is just a tool to reproduce a recording.

I didn't always think quite this way, but from now on I will buy stereo equipment the same way I would buy a TV, or a computer, or any other electronic equipment.

Why would you apply different standards to buying a player of recorded music than a player of movies? In both cases you want the best fidelity, reliability, and ease of use that you can get at the lowest price possible.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:50 pm »
Why would you apply different standards to buying a player of recorded music than a player of movies?

Well, because I merely enjoy movies...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:02 pm »
Various struggles (kids, loss of a decent listening space, death of a child, divorce, loss of income, loss of local dealers) all contributed to my lost years (about 1985 - 1999). 

A fresh start and the internet helped rekindle stereo/audio for me.

WC

« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2011, 05:36 pm »
Life sort of happened with many things vying for time and money. Two years ago a Christmas my wife gave me a record player which can record via USB to a computer. That caused me to go get all the boxes of spare audio equipment out of the spare bedroom and set it up. I had been using iPods through out this period, but had been listening to less and less music. So I set up the record player to record the music and made it a point to go down to basement and actually listen to music. Most of my LPs had never even been opened.

Last year we replaced the upstairs TV, so I did a lot of research on AV amps. We moved the upstairs TV to the basement, so I started thinking about setting up a home theater downstairs. So I reorganized the equipment around in the basement and set up a 20 year old Dennon CD player that was originally my Wife's with my Yamaha integrated amp and BA speakers. The improvement over listening to the record player was impressive and made me want to go listen to music. I did a bunch of research into equipment to get for the home theater, but tI have made my decisions. So now all I do is research 2 channel audio equipment until I have the funds to pay for it and listen to music while doing the research.

ltr317

« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2011, 03:45 am »
I left high end audio about fifteen years ago for, well, just see my avatar.  I couldn't afford two expensive hobbies, and auto racing has been a passion since my early teens (a few years before my older brother introduced me to high end audio), but I could never afford to go racing until around 1995.  I raced for about ten or eleven years until I left my decent paying job.  After that, I couldn't afford to race anymore, and got back into audio because it's actually cheaper. 

SlushPuppy

« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2011, 03:55 am »
I left high end audio about fifteen years ago for, well, just see my avatar.  I couldn't afford two expensive hobbies, and auto racing has been a passion since my early teens (a few years before my older brother introduced me to high end audio), but I could never afford to go racing until around 1995.  I raced for about ten or eleven years until I left my decent paying job.  After that, I couldn't afford to race anymore, and got back into audio because it's actually cheaper.

I have a few friends that race Minis in weekend SCCA events. I was shocked when I found out what they spent on tires alone for a single season. A good audio system is much cheaper than that!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2011, 03:55 am »
Couldn't unless I was stranded on a desert island cause I need music.

ltr317

« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2011, 04:03 am »
I have a few friends that race Minis in weekend SCCA events. I was shocked when I found out what they spent on tires alone for a single season. A good audio system is much cheaper than that!

Then you certainly know what I'm talking about when I said I couldn't afford two expensive hobbies.  I have a friend who also races the original Mini, and holds the Lime Rock track record for that class. 

SlushPuppy

« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2011, 04:08 am »
Couldn't unless I was stranded on a desert island cause I need music.

My biggest mistake was selling the best two-channel system I ever assembled for a much lower quality home theater system. The home theater gear I bought is highly regarded (Anthem), but I've hated that decision for almost 10 years. I just don't "feel" the music the way I used to. I'm currently in the process of fixing that mistake.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2011, 04:17 am »
Then you certainly know what I'm talking about when I said I couldn't afford two expensive hobbies.  I have a friend who also races the original Mini, and holds the Lime Rock track record for that class.

Yes, that is a very expensive hobby. When I was stationed in Spain in the early 80's I owned a 1967 Mini 1275 GT. One of the best handling cars I ever owned, but it drained my wallet in constant repairs.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #32 on: 5 Jun 2011, 03:14 am »
I started listening to music years ago, back in the 80's. bought my first system when I was stationed in Japan. Denon, AR, Yamaha, Teac..Do not have any of it left. Got busy with life, marriage, etc, etc..

Now, I am looking to get back into it.  I am looking to get started all over again, for a good integrated amp or amp, not really sure where to begin... Everything has changed. It is far more complicated than it use to be. It was all analog back then. And I think it was more simple. Now I am trying to learn it all over again.

My priorities are different no,w I can do some things that I enjoy...no kids at home and my wife is gone..

Blade.