determining baffle size, driver placement with a mystery driver

20Hz

First post- take it easy on me :)

I got a couple of vintage german 12" full range (I imagine) speakers with the intent of building some open baffle speakers just for fun. I'm realizing that not having specs like Q for the drivers and not having a windows machine to run basta has me kind of stuck.
Are there rough general guidelines for baffle size for a single 12" driver? I assume I'm going to have to do some experimenting, but I was hoping to have a rough idea of where to start.

Thanks

JohnR

chips666

I use Visaton Nobox with Philips AD12202 http://www.visaton.de/en/products/archive/nobox-bb
Enjoy

JohnH12

• John H
Without specs you can't be wrong  :D

With a big 12 inch your are going to lose constant directivity near 1,000 hz or so listening on axis will be best.  if you can accept that, then go with something easy like a 24 inch by 48 inch handi panel.  The wide flat baffle with give you some bass support without resonances from an H or U frame.  Mount the woofer top inside (mirrored) and enjoy.

Edit: I wanted to add this is going to roll off like a typical midrange so you would need support below 80 hz or so.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
First post- take it easy on me :)

I got a couple of vintage german 12" full range (I imagine) speakers with the intent of building some open baffle speakers just for fun. I'm realizing that not having specs like Q for the drivers and not having a windows machine to run basta has me kind of stuck.
Are there rough general guidelines for baffle size for a single 12" driver? I assume I'm going to have to do some experimenting, but I was hoping to have a rough idea of where to start.

Thanks
If it is a FR driver not a woofer, you will use it as woofer or as mid range?