monitor for mains

2oldcranks

monitor for mains
« on: 12 Feb 2024, 08:59 pm »
Hoping the wise here can give input on a choice for my speakers
NX studio vs Salk Silk
both are superb and wonder if anyone would chose one over the other for any reason
lets say same price so thats not a factor

I have Super Vs and will be rehoming as they are almost comical in my small room, and they are just too pretty to butcher for the subs, I will miss these ALOT
so bass will be dealt with by subs of some sort

I REALLY believe they are both brilliant just different

Any input from the wise ears here is important as I am stumped as to dismissing one or other being better :popcorn:

Glady86

Re: monitor for mains
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2024, 07:08 am »
I like the GR tweeter presentation better than the RAAL, though the speakers I owned weren’t  Salks or Philharmonic, so just my limited experience with the RAAL. And the better efficiency of the GR speakers is a plus.

I think either choice would be satisfying.

2oldcranks

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2024, 08:06 pm »
Thanks Glady86
I did see your post about Neo
Wish I could hear a pair before commiting but there is ALOT to go by here to form a good decision/choice

Suppose I should Find a new home for my Vs before purchasing another pair,I think thats what my wife would say :lol:

i'll be keeping my eyes and ears tuned in here for wisdom/input

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2024, 08:41 pm »
Studios are a better speaker.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2024, 02:32 pm »
Hey Twocoldcranks, both speakers obviously are more than capable,

Although I'm biased, especially having 3 years behind the seat with the Studio's. They do well, either being driven with tube or solid state electronics. Even a 8 watt 300B SET amp in a small to mid size room provides astonishing results. Being you have a smaller room, the NX-Studio's will excel, especially with Servo Sealed Plus Kit. Treat your room right, based off of some of the suggestions Ron (New Record Day) provided, on his New Record day Youtube series, it will serve you well. Treating a room is as equally important as any speakers, or for that matter any other associated electronics.  Here is a link from Ron on just speaker placement tips. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyTkwkK8ON0

Being a professional musician working in the studio's, I hear the differnces even between various studio environments. It's amazes me how we even treat my drums to achieve different results from miking or other physical treatments around them to achive the desired results for the optimal  mix.

Danny and Dobbs are exceptional to work with, for any advice across the board. Customer services to their level is rare now a days. Take that into consideration as well.

Needless to say I support what Tyson emphasized!

All the best with your decision :drums:

« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2024, 04:47 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

2oldcranks

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2024, 05:24 pm »
Thanks Tyson. I know you know :)

Studio Drummer, when I was 1 12 year old kid I went to Interlochen music camp here in Mi for percussion schlorship ,
One day teacher sits me in front of someones giant drum kit on thee ampitheater stage and I start playing a bit and some "old" guy walks out and watches/listens to me a bit, then he just  nods and smiles at me.
I was playing Buddy Richs drum set and he came out to see who the "kid "was :lol:
of course I had not a clue who he was :duh:

I am going to commit to the NX and shuffle some stuff around to get em,
IIt seems its about the neo vs the RAAL and ive heard a few with the raal so its Neo time

Also I do have moderate room treatment but that is on list of things ie.. ceiling cloud first -reflection point ,and rear wall abb/diff
thanks for others informed input also :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2024, 06:55 pm »
You’ll be astonished at how huge and detailed a soundstage the Studios throw, even in a small room.