IC: Rare, limited edition Fi 2a3 monos ** sold **

jrebman

IC: Rare, limited edition Fi 2a3 monos ** sold **
« on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:44 pm »
** Sold **

Thought I'd give the AC members first shot at these before listing them on agon...

I'm offering for sale my rare, limited edition Don Garber Fi 2a3 monoblocks, and very, very reluctantly at that.  These are exactly the same as the Fi 2a3 monos that have been widely praised as one of the best amps at any price, but go one step further in that they have Tamura amorphous core output transformers, which take them up several notches over the standard MQ iron equipped amps -- and all the glowing reviews have been written about the MQ iron version.  There are only 2 or 3 pairs of these in existence, and this is one of them.

I made one slight modification in that I cut off the bottom 3/8" of each maple leg and glued on a yamamoto PB-10 ebony base, which improves tone and soundstageing even more.  I did this only after considerable experimentation, so it was not a rushed or rash decesion to make the modification.

The amps will come with the following original tubes:

1 pair of sovtek 2a3s (standard issue from Fi)
1 pair 6SF5 drivers
1 pair 5v4ga rectifiers, and a few pairs of 5y3gt and 6106 rectifiers.

I will also throw in (but only for full sale price offers) 2 NOS pairs of 6SF5s that have been matched and screened for low noise and microphonics, plus a pair of NOS RCA 5V4GAs.

Price is $2600 firm and will include professional packing and shipping via USPS Priority in conus.  Money order preferred, but will gladly take PP if you cover the 3% fee.

There's a reason why you almost never see these for sale, but in this case, I want to build a custom amp to be perfectly voiced for my speakers, and I don't want to touch the guts of the Fis as they are spectacular as they are.

I have a high res picture of the amps sitting in the system, and will be glad to send it to seriously interested buyers -- emailme (not PM) for the picture.  Sorry, no overseas sales.

Thanks for looking,

Jim

« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2011, 04:14 pm by jrebman »

Gopher

Re: IC: Rare, limited edition Fi 2a3 monos
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:49 pm »
I owned Fi 2a3 monos with Tamaura output transformers!!!  Never saw another pair. 

Someone buy these, they're great!

jrebman

Re: IC: Rare, limited edition Fi 2a3 monos
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:58 pm »
Gopher,

Amazing.  Well, that accounts for both, or two of the 3 pairs in existence, as verified by Mr. Garber himself.

If you were to get these today they would cost you at least $4300 for the pair, plus a long wait in the Fi queue.

So, I'm sure you can imagine how difficult a decision it is to sell these.

Thanks for good word on these amps!

-- Jim